PDA

View Full Version : Red Box Table

Jarrahrules
12th February 2013, 09:09 PM
Hi Guys. posted it on finishes but no reply:( So i thought i would try here.

Hi Guys. I good friend of mine has sanded back a red box table that his wifes dad made. He would like to know what is the best finish to use. He has a young child so i durable finish is desirable.:)

JR

artme
12th February 2013, 10:17 PM
Try Danish oil. Gives a nice finish and can be easily repaired.

NCArcher
12th February 2013, 10:39 PM
:iagree: with :whs:

I used a mix of Boiled Linseed Oil, Turps and Polyurethane on a desk and it is surprisingly durable. Hasn't had much of a bashing yet but it is a simple wipe on mix.

Jarrahrules
13th February 2013, 06:52 AM
Try Danish oil. Gives a nice finish and can be easily repaired.

I once used Danish oil on a bowl and it made the wood dis color to more of a brown. Wasn't nice. Would this happen to the table.
Jr

Jarrahrules
13th February 2013, 09:33 PM
Hi Guys

Thanks for all your help. I will pass it onto my friend and I pass on his gratitude in Advance.
JR.

For got to mention I turned this bowl out of Jarrah burl. I turned it on xmas day and it turned out to be a greta xmass( pardon the pun).

I didn't even see the tree shape untill I took it off the lathe. The bit behind the trunk was bark and just fell off revealing the tree. I was so Happy.
254188:D

fineboxes
14th February 2013, 09:42 AM
Hi Guys. posted it on finishes but no reply:( So i thought i would try here.

Hi Guys. I good friend of mine has sanded back a red box table that his wifes dad made. He would like to know what is the best finish to use. He has a young child so i durable finish is desirable.:)

JR

Plastic table cloth with elastic sides:U

Cheers

Steve