PDA

View Full Version : Insulating a Garage

lamu22
20th April 2005, 03:24 PM
G'day guys and gals,
im planning to insulate my garage, i have decided to go with plaster boards and fatt batts just wondering if there is any other materials that anyone would reccomend. the garage is 22ft x 20ft and is made of metal, tin. also i live in melbourne would anyone be intrested in earning some $$ on the side with a little job as im anything but a "handyman".

the roof peaks at 11ft and meets the walls at 7ft how would i insulate the roof i was thinking of having the roof 7ft with a man hole uptop any reccomendations?

p.s. the isnt going to be any cars in the garage, going to be another room.

thanks

LAMU

Iain
20th April 2005, 05:17 PM
If you don't want to put up a ceiling you can buy the rigid foil insulation, it comes off the roll and screws to the beams and because of the ribbed structure it will not sag or flex.
I have this in my shed and it costs about $260 a roll which for memory is about 10 metres X 1.5m.

Wildman
20th April 2005, 10:57 PM
Foilboard, www.foilboard.com.au would be my only choice, especially behind tin. Batt type insulation has poor summer properties and holds heat once it gets hot in summer and then stays hot. It is also easy to install, approx $22 for a 2.4x1.2m sheet of 10mm, 15mm is about $24.

Cheers
Ben

Gaza
20th April 2005, 11:17 PM
Try Australian Plaster board for cheap plasterboard. Dont know locations in melb but there a few stores in syd and its 10-15% cheaper than CSR / Boral and quality is the same.

soundman
20th April 2005, 11:57 PM
What a load of rubish, Batt type insulation has great summer performance( we don't have much winter ).
All the foil type insulations have much poorer conduction performance and are more easily damaged. As far as bulk insulation holding heat, look to you briks & concrete roof tiles for that.
Sounds like youve been reading too much foil insulation promo.
BTW poly bats are much better to work with.
Ther have been several posts on similar & the discussion is always vigorous.
stay cool chaps

Dan_574
21st April 2005, 11:00 AM
where in melbourne ru lamu

lamu22
21st April 2005, 07:06 PM
Thanks guys for all your replies, its been heaps of help
gretly appriciated.
theres mixed emotions on plaster boards from my local hardware stores im still indecisive on my desicion though.

im located in mooroolbark

thanks again
LAMU