PDA

View Full Version : Coffe Table WIP.

tea lady
16th February 2013, 10:06 PM
Started this as part of a sculpture today. Will make wood turned other things to go on it as well. Here are the legs. More to come. :cool:

Christos
16th February 2013, 10:11 PM
..... Here are the legs. More to come. :cool:

Are there going to be more then four legs for the table?

artme
16th February 2013, 10:41 PM
Nice turning TL.!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Did you use a template?

Bushmiller
16th February 2013, 10:44 PM
Are there going to be more then four legs for the table?

:roflmao: .

Nearly a transferred epithet similar to "table for sale by old lady with wooden legs."

Regards
Paul

tea lady
16th February 2013, 10:59 PM
:D

Did I mention how big it was?

Here's the table top glue up.:D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th February 2013, 11:06 PM
Strewth! That's a BIG matchbox! :D

Bushmiller
16th February 2013, 11:14 PM
:D

Did I mention how big it was?

Here's the table top glue up.:D

Where are the administrators when you want them? Tea Lady led us on! :D

(Oh awright! Nice turning :wink: ). Actually, now I think on it, what size turning tools did you use? Pix?

Regards
Paul

tea lady
16th February 2013, 11:48 PM
Actually, now I think on it, what size turning tools did you use? Pix?

Regards
PaulNormal sized tools except for a small spindle gouge for the coves. :cool:

Allan at Wallan
17th February 2013, 07:34 AM
Hi "Coffee Lady",

Nice work as usual ... not wanting to
be picky but the leg on the extreme right
looks longer than the others.

Allan

Mobyturns
17th February 2013, 09:58 AM
:wink: .... nice legs! :whistling1:

nz_carver
17th February 2013, 11:13 AM
Can't see how will keep his cup of tea on that his cups 2 x the size of the table :U

tea lady
17th February 2013, 11:35 AM
Hi "Coffee Lady",

AllanGive the man a cupie doll. Already tried to make a replacement,. That one is less different than the first one was. I think there is some law of turning that means the last one of any set cannot be made to match the rest.:S Was hoping that when I get the table together I can sand them down so they are level. Shoudl prolly turn another set just so I can wreck a few. :doh:

Paul39
17th February 2013, 12:27 PM
Give the man a cupie doll. Already tried to make a replacement,. That one is less different than the first one was. I think there is some law of turning that means the last one of any set cannot be made to match the rest.:S Was hoping that when I get the table together I can sand them down so they are level. Shoudl prolly turn another set just so I can wreck a few. :doh:

Line them up so the bumps and valleys are close, then draw a line across the tops and bottoms and sand the excess off.

No one will notice.

RETIRED
17th February 2013, 12:29 PM
Line them up so the bumps and valleys are close, then draw a line across the tops and bottoms and sand the excess off.

No one will notice.I will.:wink:

tea lady
17th February 2013, 01:03 PM
Can't see how will keep his cup of tea on that his cups 2 x the size of the table :U:hmm: Might hold ONE cup. But it is for a sculpture. I am going to make some tiny cups and saucers to go on it too. :cool:

tea lady
17th February 2013, 01:04 PM
I will.:wink:Would expect nothing less. :q:D

Sawdust Maker
17th February 2013, 01:29 PM
Nice dwarvish legs

Bushmiller
17th February 2013, 06:17 PM
Hi "Coffee Lady",

Allan

I had assumed TL was catering for a natural depression in the floor/sculpture :rolleyes: .

Regards
Paul

Pagie
17th February 2013, 07:42 PM
When I used to pot and make coffee cups i used to make 60 or so at a time and then match them up after the bisque fire. that way I could get 10 sets of cups.

Paul39
18th February 2013, 10:26 AM
I will.:wink:

As soon as I clicked submit I thought, "except another turner".

Perfection is the enemy of finished. We all have to draw the line for ourselves about when the piece is good enough for the purpose at hand.

I suspect all the 10 meter posts made for the university?? were not identical, but no one but a turner looking carefully, or maybe using a caliper, would ever know.

I was a commercial / advertising photographer for 40 years. A few times I had done the best I could with the time and money allotted but was not particularly thrilled with the result.

The clients were thrilled, the ad ran and produced the sales expected and I got paid.

Sawdust Maker
18th February 2013, 01:25 PM

The clients were thrilled, ... and I got paid.

The two most important bits

RETIRED
18th February 2013, 03:22 PM
I suspect all the 10 meter posts made for the university?? were not identical, but no one but a turner looking carefully, or maybe using a caliper, would ever know. Actually Paul the architects, engineers, the construction company and the client measured them with a micrometer. Every one of them.

They were cigar shaped and the only way to get the exact shape was to get an exact measurement plotted (by cad) at 150mm intervals from the centre out. We were allowed .020" tolerance at any given point. The measurements are still on some of the tool rests.

I might mention that they all passed.:D

The posts were laminated and the glue lines also had to match as well. I do not know why as they were 40' in the air.

Bushmiller
18th February 2013, 09:03 PM
Actually Paul the architects, engineers, the construction company and the client measured them with a micrometer. Every one of them.

They were cigar shaped and the only way to get the exact shape was to get an exact measurement plotted (by cad) at 150mm intervals from the centre out. We were allowed .020" tolerance at any given point. The measurements are still on some of the tool rests.

The posts were laminated and the glue lines also had to match as well. I do not know why as they were 40' in the air.

That was truly an amazing feet, which leads me to ask TL how high into the sky is this sculpture going?

Regards
Paul

Paul39
19th February 2013, 04:04 AM
Actually Paul the architects, engineers, the construction company and the client measured them with a micrometer. Every one of them.

That is a testament to your skill as well as the silliness of the specifications.

I wonder if they would have passed in overall diameter if you had a rainy spell between finish turning and measuring.

I do see the point of having a uniform curve.

Tim the Timber Turner
20th February 2013, 01:11 PM
1: My first teacher, who did his apprenticeship as a wood turner way back when, always said "they don't have to be the same they only have to look the same".

2: He also told me how to cheat, "make 5 and chuck one away".

Cheers

Tim:)

Bushmiller
20th February 2013, 01:30 PM

Cheers

That is probably OK for TL's nano table, but it would sure as hell have knocked the profit out of 's monster commercial project.

Regards
Paul

RETIRED
20th February 2013, 05:24 PM
1: My first teacher, who did his apprenticeship as a wood turner way back when, always said "they don't have to be the same they only have to look the same".

Cheers

Unfortunately we rarely get that option. They deliver the timber required for the job. No more no less.

tea lady
20th February 2013, 05:54 PM
What I want to know is why he hasd to turn them 40 feet in teh air? :D :run:

As for matching, I think there is some relative of Murphy at work where that is concerned. Grumpy reakoned I should ahve made 10 then had enough to get a set of 4 , but with pottery that always resulted in three sets of three and one odd one. :doh: I think I will rely on the fact that you have to be in just the right spot to SEE all 4 legs at once.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th February 2013, 09:37 PM
As for matching, I think there is some relative of Murphy at work where that is concerned. Grumpy reakoned I should ahve made 10 then had enough to get a set of 4 , but with pottery that always resulted in three sets of three and one odd one. :doh: I think I will rely on the fact that you have to be in just the right spot to SEE all 4 legs at once.

What I'm waiting to see is how you do the M&T's for the apron on the table... :D

Jonzjob
21st February 2013, 03:00 AM
As soon as I clicked submit I thought, "except another turner".

Perfection is the enemy of finished. We all have to draw the line for ourselves about when the piece is good enough for the purpose at hand.

I suspect all the 10 meter posts made for the university?? were not identical, but no one but a turner looking carefully, or maybe using a caliper, would ever know.

I was a commercial / advertising photographer for 40 years. A few times I had done the best I could with the time and money allotted but was not particularly thrilled with the result.

The clients were thrilled, the ad ran and produced the sales expected and I got paid.

Good grief, that's one hell of a size for a caliper mate :C :C

Tea lady, you wouldn't have to see it from any particular angle, just put yer digit on the top and rock it maybe :U. Once it's assembled it will be dead easy to sand the long one so it don't rock :D

Cracking legs by the way :2tsup: :2tsup: I have some plates, a couple of vases and a bowl that would go nicely on it :D Even a pair of candlesticks too..

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/Miniyew2.jpg