PDA

View Full Version : Tool rest base for Durden.

Drillit
18th February 2013, 08:10 PM
I suppose it is common knowedge that F. W. Hercus no longer manufactures Durden wood lathes and havent done so since about 1988.
I had cause to speak to Steve Hercus last week about buyiung a second tool rest base for my Top Turn 400 series Durden. No luck and
no spare parts. I need a second base for a double post tool rest. So my first question is does anyone have one they wish to sell or know
where I can buy one ? I didnt want to get one made up if at all possible. I understand if all else fails, that the Woodfast base is the same
profile and may fit, although I havent measured that yet. Thanks, Suggestions welcome. Drillit.

wheelinround
18th February 2013, 08:49 PM
I suggest you give Hare & Forbes (https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/W294) a call

Willy Nelson
19th February 2013, 01:40 AM
I heard a buzz that all the best wood turners use a Durden Top Turn.

As an aside, a Durden Top Turn 400 is about to go on the market.

Sincerely
Willy
Jarrahland

PS and proud owner of a Top Turn 400

I suppose it is common knowedge that F. W. Hercus no longer manufactures Durden wood lathes and havent done so since about 1988.
I had cause to speak to Steve Hercus last week about buyiung a second tool rest base for my Top Turn 400 series Durden. No luck and
no spare parts. I need a second base for a double post tool rest. So my first question is does anyone have one they wish to sell or know
where I can buy one ? I didnt want to get one made up if at all possible. I understand if all else fails, that the Woodfast base is the same
profile and may fit, although I havent measured that yet. Thanks, Suggestions welcome. Drillit.

RETIRED
19th February 2013, 08:32 AM
Gooday drillit. What are you using the second banjo for? I know that you have a longer tool rest.

Is it for spindle or bowl work? Is it going to be used a lot?

It is pretty easy to make a simple banjo for a one off by using some wood and a couple of clamps just to support the free end.

Drillit
19th February 2013, 10:20 AM
Thanks all for your responses. I am going to H &F on Thursday and will see if the Woodfast is compatible as Steve H suggests.
If so, that should not cost an arm and a leg. I hope. If all fails I will look at eventualy getting one made up as a temporary wooden
structure for the spindle work, just isnt the go me thinks, long-term. I am sure I can source the cam-lock. Anyways I will let all know. In the meantime I am retro-fitting an EVS system
to the Durden and I am sure there will be interest in that when it is operational, hopefully in the next 2 weeks, with the help of my electrical
engineer mate. It was some job, I tell you getting the old motor out, even with the lathe on 6" blocks. The new arrangement will be less than 50
up to about 3000+, with reversing option and movable speed controller (magnetic base). I intend to retain the footswitch option, that I find terrific.That is about, so far. I will upload some pictures in due course. Drillit. :roll: