PDA

View Full Version : Omega Engineering in liquidation

WOODY70
19th February 2013, 01:51 PM
Hi guys,
Just a heads up to let all know that as at the 1st Feb Omega tool and engineering pty Ltd was placed in liquidation.

There goes another great Aussie brand.

Cheers
Dave

brendan stemp
19th February 2013, 03:58 PM
As in the maker of the Stubby Lathes??

WOODY70
19th February 2013, 04:05 PM

The one and only. Yes Brendan.

nz_carver
19th February 2013, 05:02 PM
#### there goes stubby.
I know he's been trying to sell the rights to make stubby for some time

Jim Carroll
19th February 2013, 08:26 PM
Thats a bugga

Needs someone with a bit of spare cash to pick it up and keep that quality of lathe going

Scott
19th February 2013, 08:27 PM

I'm not sure they're going into liquidation. If you look at the website, there is a paragraph:

OPORTUNITY --- Due to ill health I have decided to offer the USA patent for our OMEGASTUBBY LATHE for immediate sale to the best reasonable offer. This offer would suit either a current USA machinery manufacturer , or company wishing to manufacture off shore and sell in USA , UK and Canada . Please submit offers to [email protected]

Sad.

Sturdee
19th February 2013, 10:04 PM
Very sad indeed.

Back in October last year an application for the winding up (https://insolvencynotices.asic.gov.au/browsesearch-notices/notice-details/Omega-Tool-and-Engineering-Pty-Ltd-005802442/502e3de6-37cf-4910-bcb5-de8b8548c596) of Omega Tool & Engineering Pty. Ltd. was commenced by the Deputy Commissioner of Taxation.

A search now shows that they are Under External Administration And/Or Controller Appointed. (https://creditorwatch.com.au/express/asic/organisation/005802442)

They may be allowed to try and trade out of it but IMO very unlikely. Probably a fire sale of the assets followed with a quick winding up.

Peter.

TTIT
19th February 2013, 10:26 PM
I reckon Julia's left it a little too long to save manufacturing in this country - sad day :C

Cliff Rogers
19th February 2013, 10:30 PM
Bugger.

Mobyturns
20th February 2013, 05:26 AM
I reckon Julia's left it a little too long to save manufacturing in this country - sad day :C

Very very sad to see another small manufacturer of quality tools go. And we spend huge bucks propping up multi nationals manufacturing vehicles ... doesn't seem right at all.

Scott
20th February 2013, 09:01 AM
When you see, feel and use a Stubby, you're left in no doubt that this is a fine lathe. Superior in every way. If Omega go down the tubes and the Stubby dies then it only leaves us with one option in Australia, Vicmarc.

If I had the money, I'd probably buy it. Vern is right, another kick in the guts for Australian manufacturing. Canberra is a ship of fools, no matter whose in.

Big Shed
20th February 2013, 09:16 AM
I know it is easy to blame "Canberra" for the failure of yet another manufacturing company, but to be fair none of us know why this company failed.

It looks like the owner has some health problems and that may well be the cause, or it may have failed because it is manufacturing a (very) high priced product with a limited market in this country.

On a side note, manufacturing in this country has been on a long downward slope that started in the 70s when manufacturers lived in fairy land behind ridiculously high tariff walls erected by Black Jack McEwen.
That resulted in industry not having to invest in new machines and processes because they were protected from overseas competition.

When the might of Chinese manufacturing arrived and tariff walls were demolished Australian industry was hit by a double whammy from which it has never recovered.

Add to this the fact that so much of manufacturing in this country was owned by multi national corporations who simply departed the scene for lower cost countries and it paints a very dismal picture.

Scott
20th February 2013, 09:20 AM
Add to this the fact that so much of manufacturing in this country was owned by multi national corporations who simply departed the scene for lower cost countries and it paints a very dismal picture.

It does Fred. However why isn't Australian manufacturing supported like it is in other nations?

_fly_
20th February 2013, 09:30 AM
Not a lot of us have tons of money left over after our bills get paid to buy what we'd like.
So we go for the best we can afford at the time, that unfortunately usually means asian made.

very unfortunate.

Tim the Timber Turner
20th February 2013, 01:25 PM
"And then there was one".

A sad day for woodturners.:C

wheelinround
20th February 2013, 02:06 PM
It does Fred. However why isn't Australian manufacturing supported like it is in other nations?

Scott it is if it moves to Asia :;

Its a shame this has happened health issues and often family who do not want to take over are also often the case when the senior member decides its time to step aside.

There will come I am sure another maker possibly whom will try take on such as this.

Sturdee
20th February 2013, 04:22 PM
...................... but to be fair none of us know why this company failed.

It looks like the owner has some health problems and that may well be the cause, or it may have failed because it is manufacturing a (very) high priced product with a limited market in this country.

Very true, we don't know why it happened and what the causes are, but the fact that the winding up was commenced by the Deputy Commissioner of Taxation gives certain clues.

In my previous life I found that the ATO will look at reasonable proposals to pay outstanding income tax by installments but not with nonpayment of moneys received and held in trust. These are income tax deductions withheld from employees wages and GST moneys paid to them by their customers.

The ATO considered that theft and misappropriating moneys not belonging to the business and they were very quick to enforce payment, including winding up the business. Maybe the owners health, pressure of business and insufficient sales caused them to be late in payment of these moneys and fell foul of them.

Still very sad as there are not enough lathe manufacturers.

Peter.

Phil Spencer
21st February 2013, 03:53 PM
i use to sell Rob the motors for the stubby even helped out on the stand at his last Woodworking show, his sales started to dry up when he had problems with his US distributor and the high Aussie Dollar. The US was where he sold most of his lathes as good as the lathe is it was just too expensive to sell in Australia most wanted something cheaper, the few he did sell in this country (usually about 5-6 units per year on average) would not justify him staying in business.

We all talk about good Aussie quality and supporting Australian businesses, but the truth is we are too close to China and the average Australian wants to live the Champagne life for two bob (20 cents) we have become hooked on cheap goods and will not pay the extra for quality or support Australian business if we can get something cheaper off the boat. If this sounds like a rant it is I put up with 25 years of this crap where Aussie products were not supported because it was cheaper off the boat, even had to put up with it from one of the posters to this thread bemoaning that Aussie businesses were suffering.

I for one am sad that Rob is folding his sons will be looking for work now, but it does not surprise me, the GFC was where his export sales started to dry up and sales to him started to fall off, Robs health was not good then.

I wish Rob and his family well.

King Stubby
21st February 2013, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the positive posts re - OMEGA STUBBY LATHES.

I ( Rod ) purchased the Omega TOOL & ENGINEERING from my Father Robert prior to him going into liquidation and am currently rebuilding what has been decimated by lack of support and assistance by various levels of Government and their policies.

The constant battles with these bodies, the high Aus $ and the GFC have caused most of the previous companies problems as well as exasperated Rob's health issues - he's just plain had enough. I have seen it all happen over the last few years.

Currently the manufacturing is continuing for HARE & FORBES "Ëducation Equipment" as well as S750's / S1000's / S1000+'s being manufactured to customer order as in the past - this is planned to continue well into the future.

Currently all contact details remain unchanged.

Thank you for your support in the past and I look forward to your continued support in the future.

Rod Caddaye
T/as - Omega Tool and Engineering

Enfield Guy
21st February 2013, 07:14 PM
All we all need now is for Aussies to support Aussies. Recognise good engineering / manufacturing and buy for a little bit more, but for far fewer times.

Once upon a time there were Australian industries, now there are comparatively few real Australian owned companies. Look for them in the supermarkets, look for them actively. Check the price, sure, but does it really cost that much more to support Australian. Not really in my experience. Take something as common as vegemite. There are now 3, yes three, alternatives to the great black muck. They are all comparable on price and quality.

There are many many other examples.

Look with your eyes people. Shop with your mind and your heart.

Rant over.

Phil Spencer
21st February 2013, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the positive posts re - OMEGA STUBBY LATHES.

I ( Rod ) purchased the Omega TOOL & ENGINEERING from my Father Robert prior to him going into liquidation and am currently rebuilding what has been decimated by lack of support and assistance by various levels of Government and their policies.

The constant battles with these bodies, the high Aus $ and the GFC have caused most of the previous companies problems as well as exasperated Rob's health issues - he's just plain had enough. I have seen it all happen over the last few years.

Currently the manufacturing is continuing for HARE & FORBES "Ëducation Equipment" as well as S750's / S1000's / S1000+'s being manufactured to customer order as in the past - this is planned to continue well into the future.

Currently all contact details remain unchanged.

Thank you for your support in the past and I look forward to your continued support in the future.

Rod Caddaye
T/as - Omega Tool and Engineering

Good on you Rod and good luck :)

Avery
21st February 2013, 08:45 PM
All we all need now is for Aussies to support Aussies. Recognise good engineering / manufacturing and buy for a little bit more, but for far fewer times.

Once upon a time there were Australian industries, now there are comparatively few real Australian owned companies. Look for them in the supermarkets, look for them actively. Check the price, sure, but does it really cost that much more to support Australian. Not really in my experience. Take something as common as vegemite. There are now 3, yes three, alternatives to the great black muck. They are all comparable on price and quality.

There are many many other examples.

Look with your eyes people. Shop with your mind and your heart.

Rant over.

Consumables, like vegemite are all well and good, but how many of us intend to go out and buy a Stubby lathe in the near , or even distant future. A Stubby lathe lasts even longer than a really big jar of Vegemite. Those of you out there that already have one might condsider when you might be going to upgrade to a new one - I'll bet it will be no time soon. I would guess that almost all the professional turners in the country (any one know how many there are?), that need a Stubby would already have one.

I know how good these things are, none better, but it must be a very difficult marketing program to convince people that they just have to go out and get a Stubby next weekend. If there is and advertising agency out there that can convince the Australian public that every home needs a Stubby, let them stand up NOW! These things are NOT an impulse buy. Perhaps we will see a Stubby lathe on special at Aldi next saturday for $29.99

It is sad that the company has run into problems. It is a very good thing that the next generation has been able to take over and move it forward. Ihope they maintain and expand their markets and make lots and lots of lathes that will make them lots and lots of money. I wish I could buy one, my third rate turning efforts would be just that little bit better ,then again, maybe not.

But as for all the wailing and gnashing of teeth, jeez, give it a break. If you think someone should do something, then go stump up the dollars and buy one - it's up to you. You could double their Australian sales over the next few months - if they have the production capacity to cope with that.

nz_carver
21st February 2013, 10:23 PM
I have a mate that has 3 yes 3 omega stubby s1000 lathes lined up in his workshop one had a date on it of around 1998 and it still runs like new and looks as good as the day it was made:D

times have changed but the fact that stubby is still the ducks nuts of woodturning lathes, and always will be in a lot of people's eyes.

Save a Australian and buy Australian Made

Stubby made in Australia for people with big bowls

keep your head up Rod :2tsup:

Cliff Rogers
21st February 2013, 10:49 PM
Good luck with it.

Mobyturns
21st February 2013, 11:40 PM
I have a mate that has 3 yes 3 omega stubby s1000 lathes lined up in his workshop one had a date on it of around 1998 and it still runs like new and looks as good as the day it was made:D

times have changed but the fact that stubby is still the ducks nuts of woodturning lathes, and always will be in a lot of people's eyes.

Stubby made in Australia for people with big bowls

I hope Stubby are around for a lot longer, not that I have the readies for one now or in the near future. The reality is often that cheap sells, again & again & again. In the end you have paid out what a good machine would have cost in the first place and would have enjoyed all of its benefits rather than putting up with the deficiencies of the cheap machine.

Rod, all the best in your endeavours, I sincerely hope you can make a real success of it so we have real choices now & in the future, instead of mediocre cheap stuff..

(ps I have an aussie made Woodfast!)

Avery
21st February 2013, 11:49 PM

and they will probably run as good as new for another 30, 40 or even 50 years.So if your mate doesn't do something to increase his business, he will never buy another STUBBY. Not good for Rod's business.

Absolutely 100% correct. There are, perhaps none better. Certainly for the craftsman / artisan or very small manufacturer, but for mass production? - useless iron

Why?

Buy the best available or the best you can afford.

Stubby made in Australia for people with big bowls ...

and a really particular need for a big, versatile lathe that costs an enormous amount of money. Not that i have a problem with that...I wish I had one ,I wish I could afford one.

and go like hell. Good for you Rod!

dr4g0nfly
22nd February 2013, 12:26 AM
It does Fred. However why isn't Australian manufacturing supported like it is in other nations?If only thet were true, from the comments I read, you're in, and have suffered, the same decine in your engineering capability as we have.Let's see, our Navy is having is new support fleet built in Korea, and if I read correctly your new Navy Marine Hele & Landing craft Ship is being made in Spain.

WOODY70
22nd February 2013, 08:52 AM
If only thet were true, from the comments I read, you're in, and have suffered, the same decine in your engineering capability as we have.Let's see, our Navy is having is new support fleet built in Korea, and if I read correctly your new Navy Marine Hele & Landing craft Ship is being made in Spain.

Let's face the fact. The world is governed by the almighty dollar!,

rsser
22nd February 2013, 03:53 PM
Best wishes with the new venture Rod.

Stubbies have a distinctive design that works well for some turners.

Having owned one and having dealt with Rob on minor matters I have to say I'm not surprised that Omega has got into the poo.

I hope you can improve customer service and manufacturing tolerances.

warmtone
26th February 2013, 10:38 PM
If only thet were true, from the comments I read, you're in, and have suffered, the same decine in your engineering capability as we have.Let's see, our Navy is having is new support fleet built in Korea, and if I read correctly your new Navy Marine Hele & Landing craft Ship is being made in Spain.
That's because we are now controlled by economic rationalists that have a one dimensional view of the world ie MONEY:

People, jobs and the environment and even future generations are all compromised for perceived short term financial gains. The tragedy is most people have not woken up to what's happening to our manufacturing industry . And yes politicians are part of the problem.

That's why I bought a Vicmarc lathe and I buy their chucks and accessories.
There is always a choice to be made it is up to the individual as to whether they want another Asian "landfill" product or a quality alternative.

Personally I'm happier to buy European made or Australian before anything from Asia even if it costs more!

WOODbTURNER
27th February 2013, 11:14 AM
Personally I'm happier to buy European made or Australian before anything from Asia even if it costs more!

And where do you think your Vicmarc bed castings are made? I was told by his son that they were cast in Asia but I stand corrected.

rsser
27th February 2013, 11:22 AM
The motors come from Germany or Italy, and I'd guess that most of the electronics come from o/s as well.

But the point is jobs are still kept here and when you buy VM you get top service. Emails answered overnight.

WOODbTURNER
27th February 2013, 11:49 AM
Ern,
But that doesn't help the local casting mob's future either. Was told that they got it done in Asia as it was much cheaper which this thread was leading to. He said that the Asian castings were sus sometimes.
Having owned a VL300 and Stubby S1000, I found that I had great response from Vicmarc and also Rob at Omega. I also wish Rod well in his new venture and hope that I get the same great service that I got from Rob.

rsser
27th February 2013, 12:01 PM
AFAIK VM had an entirely Asian venture with the Beaver but I'm not certain about that.

Prob. best if we confirmed where VM beds are coming from.

I'm glad to hear you got good service from Rob. He wouldn't reply to a simple email or two about how to change the bearings on my S1000. The US importer did so promptly and there wasn't a cent in it for him.

Also AFAIK Stubbies are just a sideline for Omega. The reason for trading difficulties might lie somewhere else in the business.

WOODY70
27th February 2013, 09:13 PM
AFAIK VM had an entirely Asian venture with the Beaver but I'm not certain about that.

Prob. best if we confirmed where VM beds are coming from.

I'm glad to hear you got good service from Rob. He wouldn't reply to a simple email or two about how to change the bearings on my S1000. The US importer did so promptly and there wasn't a cent in it for him.

Also AFAIK Stubbies are just a sideline for Omega. The reason for trading difficulties might lie somewhere else in the business.

I am sorry to say 100% VM castings are sourced from Thailand.
They are machined, assembled and painted in Brisbane.
If it wasn't done this way the company wouldn't survive!! fact.

Dave

wheelinround
28th February 2013, 08:41 AM
Has everyone forgotten about the Leady lathe (http://members.ozemail.com.au/~kjeeves/leady/leady1.html) or has he also gone out of business

rsser
28th February 2013, 09:07 AM
Used to sell on ebay. Nothing there at the mo that's new but there's a 2nd hand Leady bowl lathe (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LEADY-BOWL-TURNING-LATHE-/130857073023?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item1e77b0797f&_uhb=1#ht_549wt_1241). Never knew he made one.

wheelinround
28th February 2013, 11:52 AM
Are all Woodfast lathes imported and shipped or do they still do work on them first like VM does that would mean four players on Aussie home soil.

RETIRED
28th February 2013, 12:00 PM
Woodfast unpack and check each lathe that they sell direct but unsure about Carbatec ones with Woodfast badging.

wheelinround
28th February 2013, 12:02 PM
Its what I was informed of .

rsser
28th February 2013, 12:14 PM
Would that put them on a par with Leda?

wheelinround
28th February 2013, 12:40 PM
What of Durden (http://www.fwhercus.com.au/durden/) aren't they also an Aussie lathe maker makes 5

rsser
28th February 2013, 12:51 PM
Good grief. That makes 3 in SA. What is it about that state?

But clearly it's mix and match, local and o/s. Same with cars.

nz_carver
28th February 2013, 02:47 PM
Woodfast unpack and check each lathe that they sell direct but unsure about Carbatec ones with Woodfast badging.
I know I got my woodfast via H&F as they didn't stock them it was shipped from woodfast but not befor they unboxed it checked it stamped it and stocked it.

I have seen some that come from other suppliers that don't have the check and passed sticker on them. From my understanding there sent strate from china to the seller, like I saw I'm not 100% about that just what I got told

Jim Carroll
28th February 2013, 05:07 PM
As others have indicated our manufacturing base is lowering all the time.

Vicmarc although they get their castings done in Thailand everything else is done in house in brisbane to keep up the quality control.

Omega still done in house in melbourne

Leady not sure if they are still being produced sydney

Durdan , that last lot came out of india

Woodfast completely out of china.

KBs PensNmore
28th February 2013, 07:10 PM
As others have indicated our manufacturing base is lowering all the time.

Vicmarc although they get their castings done in Thailand everything else is done in house in brisbane to keep up the quality control.

Omega still done in house in melbourne

Durdan , that last lot came out of india

Woodfast completely out of china.

China bought the Woodfast name and manufacturing rights.
Woodfast, that are bought through Adelaide or their distributors are unpacked, checked and upgraded to ensure that they meet their high standard, and have a sticker to prove that they are up to standard. If a Woodfast unit is bought through Spud Murfies Woodworking Supplies and you have a problem with it, ringing Woodfast you will be told to ring them or whoever you bought it from!!!
These are the words from Graham and Steve at Woodfast Australia
Kryn

hughie
1st March 2013, 05:04 PM

As far as I know Bruce Leadbetter is still doing them although he must be in his mid 80's or more.

I think the casting are done in Thailand and everything else is done in Sydney. He sells them out of his shed beside the house. Last time I spoke to him he mentioned moves about 30 a year and he frequents Oyster Bay turning club

Art Clubs in Sydney & New South Wales (NSW), Australia. (http://www.clubsofaustralia.com.au/Art-andd-Craft/Clubs-in-New-South-Wales/0/0.html)

warmtone
4th March 2013, 03:51 PM
And where do you think your Vicmarc bed castings are made? I was told by his son that they were cast in Asia but I stand corrected.
I did not state that the Vicmarc lathe was 100% Australian content what I tried to convey was that I try to do my best to keep worthwhile Australian and European companies going. Every dollar that goes on an Asian tool is a nail in the coffin for local industry.

We could learn a lot from the German business model as highlighted in an ABC FourCorners program: German consumers have realised that if they want their kids to have a job they must support local German industry. And they do because their products are also superior to cheaper Asian alternatives.

German manufacturing is also a supportive model where there is a recognition that overall industry success is founded on strong local business relationships and superior quality products that result from engineering excellence. And as the program highlighted, German companies avoid crippling bank loans like the plague. At a time when the US and most of Europe is in decline Germany is prospering....!

On the other hand many Australians are easily lured by cheap Asian "bargains" and generally don't care a toss where a product is made ..... As a consequence, our manufacturing sector is insidiously undermined by cheaper but often lower quality imports.

This is serious stuff as it gradually breaks down the fabric of our manufacturing capabilities. As a Nation we are becoming de-skilled which is a tragedy for Australia and in the future we will pay for the consequences: Relying on big holes in the ground for prosperity is not sustainable.

With little government incentive for manufacturing in Australia, I am not surprised that my Vicmarc lathe bed casting is not made here.

We should all be thankful that despite adversity Vicmarc is still in business, employing Australians and producing a very high standard product that is well regarded all over the world.:2tsup:

Big Shed
4th March 2013, 04:07 PM
Having a population about 4x that of Oz doesn't go astray either, add to that the whole European market on their doorstep and they have economy of scale on their side.

Having a skilled workforce in a country that values tradespeople, unlike here, also helps.

German unions are generally not craft based but industry based and have a long history of working with their employer, not against them like happens here in Oz which has inherited the English union model based on crafts resulting in employers having to deal with any number of unions within a given industry.

I could go on, suffice to say there are some major differences between how things are done in Germany and here.

King Stubby
13th March 2013, 01:05 PM
Compare the TOTAL cost of any other lathe with the same or comparable capacity to an ALL AUSTRALIAN OWNED & MANUFACTURED STUBBY LATHE - remember to include in the costing that it's your kids - grand kids - pensions - investments (if they are held in Australia) that need to be supported by all forms of local manufacturing /industry. Even without those considerations you will proberly be surprised at the minimal difference in prices. The problems that are being speculated on by some regarding Omega stem from a desire by the company to support Australian skills, workers & investment rather than just increasing profit at any cost unlike other manufactures, maybe this IS something that needs to be addressed. Perhaps we should all consider moving our younger family members to another part of the world where they can work in conditions (inc wages) that no older Australian worker would happily accept during their working life. Remember the flow on effects of these business practices effect everyone - manufacturing, sales, banking, retail, building, customer service - the list goes on. Everyone needs to get off their bums and support 100per cent Australian made before everything's truly stuffed. I'm proberly going to offend the older guys but your futures were relatively secure due to Gov policy at the time, now some of you are the guy's putting our futures at risk with your $$. p.s - a very substantial amount of TAXPAYER MONEY in the form of a very large Gov grant was given to one of the main players in the lathe manufacturing business - this same player does not support the Australian foundries from which he previously relied on. Anyway that's my rant...take it as you will.

Brett Hammond
13th March 2013, 09:50 PM
For what it's worth.

I have owned a S1000 for nearly 12 months. Was going to buy a Stubby at the last lathe purchase years ago but it was a "step to far". So i got what I considered the next best thing. Worked great until I got sick of swinging the head around for large bowls and clocks. I turn items for galleries and the tourist market, big bowls, small bowls, clocks, pens, burl, banksia, timber, whatever I get paid for.

My recommendation is if you can afford a Stubby buy one. They are a dream, well, I think the S1000 is.

After posting questions on this forum I decided that the S1000 really suited the turning I do.

Big outlay, if you are serious about your turning and can afford one, get one.

Hate to think of the hours I have spent in front or behind or under a lathe over the last 20 years. But I can honestly say that the last 12 months have been the easiest I have experienced.

Can't speak of back-up cause I haven't needed it.

If I wanted to be really picky a few things are "backward" to my old lathe. You know "wind the handle the wrong way". Maybe the Stubby is right and my old lathe is wrong.

Oh, if you buy one, put a BBQ and a carton or 2 on when you want to get it into your shed.

Regards

Brett