PDA

View Full Version : Hot iron stamp

spankingpigeon
20th February 2013, 05:19 PM
A couple of weeks ago i posted a wanted add on the forum for some one to make me a Hot Iron Stamp with my logo and a very talented man by the name of John duff aka Malibu (from Labels Extreme www.labelx.net (http://www.labelx.net)) came to my rescue. After a few emails with lots of helpful ideas from John he was off to get materials to make the stamp.
A week later this is what was delivered to my mail box. 255065255063255064

Obviously i was ecstatic with the final job and have used it on a few things now.
So a big thank you to John and i will definitely be using him again and would most certainly recommend him to others in the future
oh and this is what the image looks like when burnt into timber
Cheers Brad

Optimark
20th February 2013, 05:57 PM
Very nice, bit hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like it was spindle engraved.

How do you heat it up and how do you hold it?

Mick.

spankingpigeon
20th February 2013, 06:13 PM
Im not sure on how it was made.
There is a threaded hole in the back that i put some threaded rod in and made a timber handle and threaded it all together.
wow that was a mouthful lol.
To heat it up i just bought one of those beautane torches but this one runs on mapp gas and cost about $80 from gasweld, it takes a bit of getting used to to know how much heat to put to it and how long to hold it on the timber as it is different for different timbers. Forgot to say it made out of brass and is 25mmx25mm

Sir Stinkalot
20th February 2013, 06:31 PM
Looks great. I have a Lee Valley version however that custom stamp is much better!

mkypenturner
20th February 2013, 08:42 PM
looks really great ,misan timbers in tassie do them here the link to their thread they have http://www.woodworkforums.com/f240/branding-irons-149005/ and they are also a sponser here

chuck1
20th February 2013, 08:44 PM
wow think I should get one!

dr4g0nfly
22nd February 2013, 12:09 AM
And if you run out of wood, therre are always plenty of cows!

issatree
22nd February 2013, 04:06 AM
Hi Brad.
Just a Thought.
I wood have thought you wood have used an Old Soldering Iron.
Maybe it wood have been a bit Cheaper.