PDA

View Full Version : Spray Gun Nozzle

peter
20th May 2002, 10:35 AM
I have been looking at purchasing a spray gun (air compressor type). Can someone please advise me on what size nozzle I should get for spraying shellac and stain?

Regards,

Peter.

soundman
22nd May 2002, 11:27 AM
If it is your first and only gun I would sugest something common, general purpose and standard.
I've never purchased any thing special and I know several mates who have many guns who are the same.
Unless you are buying an up market gun the question will not arise as the options are limited.
Have a look at the "Star S770" they are a common reasonable quality gun thats prety cheap arroung $100. from a number of vendors.
One of mine is an s770 and a mate has about 8 at last count. all as from box.
I dont spary anything real critical but the mate with 8 sprays every thing from stain & finishes to spray glue with good results.
If you find that doesn't do the job, you will probably end up being a multi gun owner any way.
I think The stars come with a 2mm needle std but I stand to be corrected.
Sone of the Higher skill fellas may give you better advice.

peter
22nd May 2002, 11:37 AM
Thanks Soundman,

Good advise as I am just after a good general purpose gun but when I was looking at them they all had different needle sizes and I did not get much help from the shop. I think they wanted to sell me one gun for each day of the week.... I will go and find the S770.

Thanks again,

Peter.

soundman
27th May 2002, 12:03 PM
There are some good books on spray painting arround written for panel beating types there is a good one in my local libruary perhaps one in yours I found it most helpfull.
Here are a few simple things I have found.
Preasures for spray guns differ from unit to unit some also have an air control on the gun. 35 to 65 psi seems the range for typical large guns, 20 to 40 psi seems ok for touch up guns.
Paint Viscosity and air preasure are closely linked.
A good filter / regulator is imperitave.
The best way to sus preasure and viscosity with a particular gun is to play with it. Vary paint viscosity and preasure and spray some old junk.
If you spray a lot of stuff you will need a moisture trap before your filter / reg. I use an extra compressor tank between my compressor and the filter reg and hav almost completely iliminated water from my lines.
Air & spraying is a big subject but is not rocket sience. There is a lot of wives tales about though. Plenty of good information out there to be had, look under panelbeating & spraypainting for a start.
Happy hunting. http://www.ubeaut.biz/bow.gif

Red neck
27th May 2002, 08:10 PM
Recently purchased “Spray Finishing” by Andy Charron. Published 1996 by the Taunton Press, Inc. ISBN 1-56158-114-3 and aimed at wood finishing. The book is available locally at around fifty bucks. Answered all my questions plus a few I hadn't thought of!

RN