PDA

View Full Version : Help Selecting Seat Foam

cam198
24th February 2013, 01:02 PM
I am restoring a antique parlor chair and I was wondering what grade foam I should use for the seat cushion. The seat originally had plant fiber, horse hair, and a cotton pad in it. And the cushion has coil springs underneath it. I am new to all of this so I'd appreciate your patience :D Thanks in advance!:)
I attached some pics of the chair :)

Prle77
19th July 2013, 11:29 PM
I would strengthen the frame a bit then use elastic webbing instead of springs... As a cushion I would use HR32-90 foam (about 100mm thick)
That will give you nice comfy bouncy feel and it will last quite a while... :)
Alen

Xanthorrhoeas
16th September 2013, 10:09 PM
IMHO any foam is a waste of your time and effort. They all feel bad and dont last. If you still have it wash the original filling and reuse it for a more authentic and longer lasting seat. They always used to rewas and rstuff the horsehair regularly. It lasts forever, foam does not.

Blackout
28th April 2018, 05:57 AM
Now that's going to help me avoid another restoration mistake. After reading your comment I did some reading and found I'll be happy to take the horse hair stuffing and cleaning it for reuse. I'm even thinking I can build some stock from old wrecked furniture (unless I can rebuild it) to use on furniture where people have already thrown it away. Great advice, thank you.