PDA

View Full Version : Starrett Arbor Q

DenisPC9
26th February 2013, 12:50 PM
Greetings

I am building my own house and have nearly got to stage of having to drill large round holes. Some time ago in a rush of blood to the head, I acquired a Starrett 76mm DPP (?) its the cookie cutter style drill that will cut out a circle of 76mm.

As the period is rapidly approaching whereby I will have to cut out numerous 76mm holes, I took the plunge and got myself a Starrett A10E Arbor. So far so good. So practice time has arrived and I'll be damned if I can figure out how to separate the various components of said Arbor so I can mount the circular drill to start cutting.

There is a lack of documentation for us plonkers on how to do it and I am loathe to try NSW's rapidly degrading TAFE system to find a Course in "Getting a Starrett Arbor Working".

At the sliding base there is a circular clip, which may (or may not) be pivotal in getting this thing to pieces.

Does anyone have a few more clues than I?

Cheers
Denis

Big Shed
26th February 2013, 12:59 PM
There's no need to "separate the various components of said arbor".

You simply screw the top ring conterclockwise so the 2 prongs are retracted, screw on the hole saw (or cookie cutter if you prefer) then screw the top ring clockwise to lower the 2 prongs in the 2 matching holes in the hole saw, may have to line up said holes to prongs.

Here's a picture of the arbor with prongs retracted.

Starrett A10E Quick-Hitch Arbor with Extra Length HSS Pilot Drill Fits Hole Saws: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Starrett-Quick-Hitch-Arbor-Extra-Length/dp/product-description/B001LF8F0A/ref=dp_proddesc_0?ie=UTF8&n=79903031&s=diy)

and here's a pic with the prongs extended

Starrett STRA10E A10e Arbor To Suit 32mm-152mm Holesaw | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Starrett-STRA10E-A10e-Arbor-To-Suit-32mm-152mm-Holesaw-/250808741399)

Insert in drill and cut your holes.

DenisPC9
26th February 2013, 01:15 PM
[QUOTE=Big Shed;1615982]There's no need to "separate the various components of said arbor".

You simply screw the top ring conterclockwise so the 2 prongs are retracted, screw on the hole saw (or cookie cutter if you prefer) then screw the top ring clockwise to lower the 2 prongs in the 2 matching holes in the hole saw, may have to line up said holes to prongs.

Damn! That means I will have to do something constructive this afternoon ;-)

Thanks for that, I didn't see the thread inside due to the paint etc.