PDA

View Full Version : Black-Japan

Fordy
22nd April 2005, 02:49 AM
Just found this forum whilst searching about a problem I had trying to sand the floorboards in the hallway of our 95 year old house. I must say it looks a great place for ideas and help for those of us who are trying to renovate with little real idea of what we are doing..

The Black junk that was clogging up the sandpapper so quick in the hallway has now been mostly removed with the heat gun and scraper (although it sticks to the scraper too). This hint was from a post in August 04.

It looks like the floorboards are Jarrah so would a penetrating oil work best to bring the floorboards back to life??

Thanks in advance..

Fordy

seriph1
23rd April 2005, 12:49 PM
hi Fordy and welcome to the forum - you will find it a place of real knowledge, (and opinions :D ) freely shared. Don't know the answer to your question, but will be watching - could you elaborate on the penetrating oil, as I am uncertain what it is.

I have heard of, as used a range of polyurethane-based things on floors with success - and have read up about things like tung oil and scandinavian oil......just not penetrating oil, except for loosening a bolt

:D

have fun

Carpenter
23rd April 2005, 01:13 PM
My floor sanding guys use a product called "Gemini" . Its some kind of Tung oil /polyurethene blend & it works good. There is also a Gemini floor polish maintainance product used a couple of times a year. Its a good system because if you scratch it its easy to touch up the damage without any visible sign a repair has been done on the surface coating. I've seen a job where the floor finishers made up some blend & got the ratio's wrong, leaving a flaky film that lifted off after a year, so there is a benefit to using a proprietory product.

Fordy
23rd April 2005, 01:51 PM
Howd guys,

By penetrating oil I was led to believe that it works by penetrating into the wood giving a longer lasting finish. I have two inside dogs and thought that just a normal polyurethene finish would scratch too quick.. But wasn't sure if a penetrating oil give a good shine. I think Tung oil is penetrating..

Carpenter that Gemini stuff sounds like what I need as I bet there will be some scratches from time to time..

Thanks

Fordy

Harry72
24th April 2005, 11:23 PM
He he he, make some socks for the dogs that'll stop them scratching the finish... and slip'n'slide all over the place!(funny to watch)

echnidna
24th April 2005, 11:35 PM
I dislike oil on Jarrah or redgum as it always darkens the timber.
I'd just use 2 pack poly.

Fordy
25th April 2005, 11:39 PM
Hmm another good reply, I didn't want too dark a finish..

bit to chew over this week.. will be completing the job next weekend..

Thanks All..

seriph1
26th April 2005, 07:59 AM
also ask around, about blanching of Jarrah - when I lived in Perth I made a table from Jarrah and after only a couple of weeks, a strip where the sun came in through the window had turned a yellow-green colour. Couldnt work out what it was until I relaised the sunlight was hitting it for a few hours each day.

Fordy
30th April 2005, 01:46 AM
There is plenty of sun in the west thats for sure.. The hallway is well protected though so that shouldn't cause any problems..

Thanks

Going to go with Cabots floorguard and I hear using the wool type applicator is best..