PDA

View Full Version : Something a little different

Tristan Croll
17th November 2000, 07:45 PM
I was turning a bowl recently, and (as sometimes happens) when I was just about finished it caught and cracked most of the way down one side. I patched it up with epoxy, but it came out looking, well, like a bowl that had been patched up with epoxy. So, with nothing left to lose, and needing to work off some stress after an exam, I decided to do something a little drastic. This (http://web.one.net.au/~litebook/carved.JPG) is the result. I have to say I'm quite pleased with it, on the whole.
Lessons learned:

Don't be afraid to experiment
Don't carve too far down the end grain (it's unfortunately quite weak now)

I also got a chance to see exactly how even my wall thickness was - turned out to be quite even at about 2mm, which I'm happy with. In hindsight, this may have been a bit thin for this blank, which already had a few small cracks (it started off as an 8x4 sleeper which I salvaged).

Comments? Tips?

Thanks,

Tristan

------------------
Cogito cogito, cogito ergo sum
- I think that I think, therefore I think that I am

John Saxton
18th November 2000, 12:35 PM
It has a flair and an eleganc'e that you have determined with the skill you applied.
Some will pay well for an interesting piece whether it be of practical purpose or of dust collecting status.
Bravo Tristan, may we well look forward to work like this and if only we all could make mistakes such as this!
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno

MJ
20th November 2000, 10:14 PM
I thought this was a great piece Tristan. I am a big fan of highlighting the beauty of the wood rather than achieving a perfect shape.

I was recently in Fiji and saw some turned work which was similar. They were bowls of roughly the same shape as the one you made but with holes in both of the end grain sides. It seemed to me that the turner had made the bowls whole then punched holes through the end grain sections (The innards were also burnt then cleaned up). It was pretty effective and looked very similar to yours, except that the rim joined all the way around.

Regards

Jacko