PDA

View Full Version : a Chart and Excel Sheet to Convert Fractions of Inches to mm's and Vice Versa

camoz
28th February 2013, 04:09 PM
Hi all,

So today I looked around for a downloadable excel file to do quick conversions from fractions of an inch to mm's, but I also wanted to specify how accurate I wanted it to round to (eg to 16ths or 1000ths of an inch), I also wanted it to tell me what the difference between the closes imperial and the actual mm I entered (I often use this when I want to drill a hole and want to know how tight or loose it will end up being (I like the conversion button on the callipers, but it doesn't help me to know it is 0.3125 inches when what I really want to know is that it is 5/16).

Anyway all I could find were internet ones and nothing that I could customise, so I thought it was time I made my own. At the bottom I also added an imperial to mm converter, which allows me to put in feet and inches with fractions of inches, should I want to change a US based plan etc.

I do have a computer in the garage (I know who does that, I mainly use it for music), but I also thought I should do a bit of a printed reference chart to 128ths so I can see at a glance, or if my hands are covered in glue etc.

I had a bit of a search on the forum, so I apologise if I am adding something that already exists, but I thought it might help others that perhaps are not as used to putting formulas into an excel spread sheet (some of these formulas are a bit advanced). I have tried not to make it too fancy (no macros, blocked cells etc. to prevent messages from popping up on people, and I figured if you accidentally copy over a cell and save the file, you can always come back and download another one anyway).

Please note it is relatively untested (not much too it, so everything should be correct with the math, but if you do find anything wrong, please let me know and I will change it for everyone).

I have saved it as an older version (for anyone that has excel 97 or later), but I only have the 2010 version, (it told me that some formatting might change when I saved it as the older version, so if the borders or something is wrong let me know)

Below is a picture of what it looks like:

This is the excel File with the converter:

And the chart I made to print out:

Cheers,

Camo

nrb
28th February 2013, 04:30 PM
Thanks for this I have been looking for something like this for ages:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

FenceFurniture
28th February 2013, 04:37 PM
Yes, great idea Camo. I created one for drill bits (mainly, although it's just measurements) a while ago, and I reference it all the time. I just printed it and stuck it up on the wall. Slightly different beast to yours.

So, without wishing to steal your thunder at all, I guess it makes sense for me to add it to the collection in this thread.

Cheers
Brett

camoz
28th February 2013, 05:05 PM
Yes, great idea Camo. I created one for drill bits (mainly, although it's just measurements) a while ago, and I reference it all the time. I just printed it and stuck it up on the wall. Slightly different beast to yours.

So, without wishing to steal your thunder at all, I guess it makes sense for me to add it to the collection in this thread.

Cheers
Brett

Brett,

I say the more the merrier:D. If anyone else has anything to add go for it (I like the look of your spread sheet and I think you will find it laminated in my draw with my drills shortly). I was debating mine look a bit more presentable (as I usually would), but I thought it might cause issues for people with older excel versions, and also at the end of the day it is only for doing conversions.

Cheers,

Camo

Beedeejay
28th February 2013, 05:16 PM
Hey Guys,
I love Excel,
I have a few other data sheets useful for working things out( ie the radius of a circle when you only have certain measurements and what not), i have them stored on a hard drive somewhere so i will dig them out and add to them to the thread,
Maybe once we get a few different spread sheets together the oh so nice mods:D might make a stick or move it so it can be accessed regularly?
Cheers Ben

FenceFurniture
28th February 2013, 05:25 PM
Reckon that's prolly a good idea Ben. Maybe start a new thread calling for useful spreadsheets to the woodworker?

Is that formula for determining the radius of an arc when you pnly have the width and height? It's a very useful formula for calculating the radii of half round rasps (which then allows you to select just the right rasp for letting out a hole or whatever).

camoz
28th February 2013, 05:29 PM
Hey Guys,
I love Excel,
I have a few other data sheets useful for working things out( ie the radius of a circle when you only have certain measurements and what not), i have them stored on a hard drive somewhere so i will dig them out and add to them to the thread,
Maybe once we get a few different spread sheets together the oh so nice mods:D might make a stick or move it so it can be accessed regularly?
Cheers Ben

Now that sounds like a good idea. I say something like a thread called "Helpful Excel Spread Sheets and other programs for Woodworking" or something.

Not sure if it is easier to change this post or start a new one (I guess whatever is easier for the very very helpful mods (can't find the suck up icon:D).

cheers,

camoz

oops, typed too slow, so what Brett said.

FenceFurniture
28th February 2013, 05:32 PM
Report the post, and ask for the title to be changed.

camoz
28th February 2013, 05:41 PM
Report the post, and ask for the title to be changed.

Actually, given it is Ben's idea, as you said "don't want to steal thunder".

Ben,

I think it would be a good post, if you want to start it, and I will Add a link to this thread, in your post.

Cheers,

Camo

Beedeejay
28th February 2013, 06:00 PM
Actually, given it is Ben's idea, as you said "don't want to steal thunder".

Ben,

I think it would be a good post, if you want to start it, and I will Add a link to this thread, in your post.

Cheers,

Camo

Camo
I would love to start the new post but I don't have my links yet and I wont until probably tomorrow night, if everyone can wait i will do it then if not Camo you just start it and i will add to it:D:D

Is that formula for determining the radius of an arc when you only have the width and height? It's a very useful formula for calculating the radii of half round rasps (which then allows you to select just the right rasp for letting out a hole or whatever).

FF,
I cant remember exactly how it worked:?, at least i hope i Still have it copied on my old H/drive:oo:, when i find it i will post it..:)

FenceFurniture
28th February 2013, 06:12 PM
Radius = h/2+w*w/h/8 where h is the height and w is the width of the arc