PDA

View Full Version : Some Turnings

Little Festo
22nd April 2005, 05:32 PM
I've just got back from holidays last week and these are a few turnings that had almost finnished before I left. The malachite rimmed bowl is African mahogany, turned with quite thin walls, the bowl is very light, finnished with danish oil buffed up using EEE. The malachite was set with thin CA glue. I think I need to move onto the next step using the stone inlays.

The second is a African Mahogany platter with a "hand carved" edge. I thought to do a test piece so I chose a pretty "crappy" blank - quite a few cracks and the lighter coloured sap wood was quite "pithy", so it didn't carve too well and needed a bit of sanding but in the end turned out better than I thought it was going to. Finnished in oil.

Peter

ptc
22nd April 2005, 06:57 PM
back at work i see.

dai sensei
22nd April 2005, 07:07 PM
I lived in a caravan park in Darwin for 10 years. I lost count of the number of African Mahogany trees that fell down during the big winds. Seeing what you have done makes me wish I had grabbed a few trunks back then instead of watching the tree trimmer turn them into woodchips.

I'll have to try using malachite for an inlay, looks really good.

Cheers

AlexS
23rd April 2005, 02:19 PM
Excellent stuff again, Peter. Always enjoy looking to see what you are going to try next.