PDA

View Full Version : First Bowl Picture

Beedeejay
2nd March 2013, 12:30 AM
Hi All,
Just having a go at finally uploading some pics,
This one is a small Himalayan Cedar Bowl I made, The shape is a very close match to a plastic bowl my wife had that she keeps bits and pieces in on the dressing table,
Just sanded to 600 normal paper and then some 1200 wet and dry and then a beeswax-grape-seed oil 80-20% combo finish

any comments welcome although the wife is happy with it so I guess that is what really matters!
Cheers Ben

dr4g0nfly
2nd March 2013, 07:39 AM
Himalayan Cedar, where or how do you guy's get hold of such wonderfully unusual woods.

Well the form and shape is designed to please your good lady and that's been achieved - well done.

So the grain and that knot flare, makes for a stunning combination, really dramatic, well done.

artme
2nd March 2013, 08:08 AM
A great bowl sire!! Everything about it is right - design,grain, knot, finish>:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

chuck1
2nd March 2013, 09:16 AM
you should be proud! looks great!

Beedeejay
2nd March 2013, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the comments, it is a beautiful bit of wood,
It was a dream to turn, and it had this realy unique smell while I was turning it, at first it kind smelt "off " but then after a minute or two it actually started be a pleasant and enjoyable smell,
the knot in it only came out as I was turning, looking at the blank before and it looked really plain with no real eye catching bits so it was a pleasant surprise when I came upon it
cheers Ben

Nai84
2nd March 2013, 11:37 PM
Ben

Mate that is spectacular mate job well done ;-)

Ian

smiife
4th March 2013, 08:14 PM
the knot in it only came out as I was turning, looking at the blank before and it looked really plain with no real eye catching bits so it was a pleasant surprise when I came upon it
cheers Ben
hi ben ,
great job on the bowl mate,isn't it fantastic when you find
''a pearl inside'' and the missus likes it too!!!!!!!!!!:cool: i guess
you will be in the good books for a while:;
cheers smiife:2tsup:

powderpost
4th March 2013, 08:34 PM
Very nice job.. :2tsup:
Jim

Drillit
5th March 2013, 08:20 PM
Hello BeeDeeJay,

Excellent effort - how did you come by this exotic species. Drillit.

Beedeejay
5th March 2013, 11:58 PM
Hello BeeDeeJay,

Excellent effort - how did you come by this exotic species. Drillit.

Hey Drillit,
Thanks, I got this piece of timber from my Mum as a Xmas present actually, (she gave me a big feed bag full of burls and other stuff she has been stockpiling for me:D)
it is about 150mm on diameter.
She got it and some other bits and pieces from an old family friend who is also a wood worker that lives near her, he has a quite a large stockpile of all kinds of stuff, next time I visit my parents I am going to see what else he has :D