PDA

View Full Version : Cell Caravans

SAISAY
2nd March 2013, 08:51 AM
Anybody own a Cell Caravan?
We are thinking about buying a caravan again, the old one got destroyed in cyclone YASI.
We have been looking at different ones but I like the slide-out on the Cell.
A bit worried about the meranti frame instead of aluminium.
Does it make much difference weight and strength wise?
We like off the bitumen and free camping
http://www.cellcaravans.com.au/sites/default/files/acell_product_shots2012_35mm_119_noarial_0.jpg

http://www.cellcaravans.com.au/sites/default/files/styles/header-images/public/header-images/river_0.png

TIA

vk4
8th March 2013, 03:08 PM
on the brochures they look good, I think that the sides are pacific maple plywood, rather than framing,.
I have a 12Ft boat made from Pacific Maple /Luan Plywood, and have no problems with it, the walls appear to be solid composite make up, rather than hollow frame , but CONFIRM THIS WITH THE AGENT!!!.

the layout in the 18.5Ft is good did not like the 22Ft as you walk through the bath / toilet to get to the master bed area.

what yopu buy depends on what SUITS YOUR NEEDS & BUDGET, AS LONG AS THE EXTERIOR IS PROPERLY SEALED , YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE AN ISSUE.

JEFF
VK4

bsrlee
10th March 2013, 08:42 PM
Termites.

Way back, when dirt was rocks and vice versa, many an old caravan disintegrated due to termites making their way into the body while it was stationary. That was one reason they went to aluminium framing, it was rot & termite resistant.

Now we have 'dry' termites - thanks Yanks - which don't even need to get to the ground for water - they can just land on the roof & move in, no obvious tracks to the ground for you to find.

A few years ago some caravan/trailer makers started using Paulownia for framing as it was light as well as rigid.

whitewood
11th March 2013, 07:44 AM
Paulownia is used in caravans because it is lightweight. It does have value as far as termites are concerned. I won’t say they won’t touch it but if there is other timber around including hard woods they will attack the other timber first. I can’t supply an authority but the Uni in WA conducted field tests to show thatPaulownia was not preferred by termites.
I have had thin paulownias logs lying around for years, on the ground, and there is no evidence of termites in the timber.
Whitewood

whitey56
11th March 2013, 07:56 AM
A couple about 15ks up the road from me have bought a Viewfinder, the purchase price was excellent below $60k i
beleive it was the last of a batch of 10 or 11 vans imported.
I was impressed with the chassis and suspension, he told me they test them with a huge load on the roof to simulate a large snow fall, the inteior was just gorgeous but they are all nice when they are new aren't they.
I asked them about getting the Appliances serviced in Oz, which they were told it would not be a problem but that could be Salesmans B/S too, check that part of it a bit further.
That's all i know hope it helps.