PDA

View Full Version : small bowl lathe mods

hughie
2nd March 2013, 01:10 PM
Here is a few mods I have recently completed on my small DIY bowl lathe.

I had originally thought of putting a variable speed drive on it. But as I had a spare stepped pulley I decided to use that instead. It gives the low down rpm I am after as well the top end.

The other mod is the indexing set up and its swing arm locator. Its designed to come off when not required or changed to another index plate.

Its all fairly basic but very effective and I always look for the simple approach over anything else.

wheelinround
2nd March 2013, 02:11 PM
:2tsup: Hughie good mods.

Why didn't you consider a detent type locator coming from the rear of the index plate?

whats the 4 choices/No of index holes? 24, 60, 120,?

hughie
2nd March 2013, 03:00 PM
:2tsup: Hughie good mods.

whats the 4 choices/No of index holes? 24, 60, 120,?

On this one 15,20,24,30 and on the other 36,45,60,90

artme
2nd March 2013, 06:02 PM
Nice Hughie!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

You going to put a guard over that pulley set up?

rsser
2nd March 2013, 07:55 PM
Nah, he's gunna polish the pulleys with his loose shirt sleeve :D

hughie
2nd March 2013, 08:01 PM
Why didn't you consider a detent type locator coming from the rear of the index plate?

A bit low on space back there :U

hughie
2nd March 2013, 08:02 PM
Nah, he's gunna polish the pulleys with his loose shirt sleeve :D

:wave:

....but probably right

RETIRED
2nd March 2013, 08:25 PM
Nah, he's gunna polish the pulleys with his loose shirt sleeve :DWhen that wears out he will use his tie.:rolleyes::wink:

chuck1
2nd March 2013, 08:33 PM
thats impressive! are you taking orders?

Scott
2nd March 2013, 08:52 PM
When that wears out he will use his tie.:rolleyes::wink:

Then get a haircut :p

hughie
3rd March 2013, 07:40 AM
thats impressive! are you taking orders?

Chuck,
As simple as this is, I am not set up to build like I was. But down the track I should be OK.This one is the baby of the bunch. I have another larger one of a different configuration altogether in progress.

My original idea was not to build these but rather to offer the plans etc on how to build one. All told I have three designs on the drwg board.

But first I must get my web sit off the ground... that's under way somewhat as well.

wheelinround
3rd March 2013, 09:02 AM
Thanks Hughie good to hear the sites almost ready.:2tsup:

Paul39
4th March 2013, 04:49 AM
Hughie,

That is wonderful!! What is the swing of the "little" one, as well as Mama & Papa.

Nice welding job.

I have lusted after the square columns I see being destroyed when gas stations are torn down.

Christos
4th March 2013, 07:25 AM
When that wears out he will use his tie.:rolleyes::wink:

Very formal, for the shed? :rolleyes:

Maybe only at 's :D

oreos40
4th March 2013, 09:50 AM
So to do your spirals do you index the head, mark the beginning and the end points, draw a line and then follow with files, rasps, dremels etc or do you rough them in in another fashion? Or , is the index just to hold the work in place as you profile it?

turnerted
4th March 2013, 04:24 PM
Looks like a good selection of speed options there Hughie. A great looking lathe.
Ted