PDA

View Full Version : Very simple turning job if anyone is interested?

Pete F
2nd March 2013, 02:28 PM
I'm normally in the metalworking forums but wondered if someone would be prepared to do a very simple turning job for me. I have a couple of metal lathes but prefer not to turn wood on them as it makes a heck of a mess with all the oil etc and I also don't have the appropriate wood turning tools and rest. I can bodge something up and have in the past, but it all gets a bit dangerous in my eyes.

I practice a martial art that sometimes uses a short stick as part of it. The stick is 7" long by 1" diameter, slightly pointed at one end and rounded at the other. It has 6 grooves turned out of it as semi-circular finger grips and is made of hardwood. Imagine rolling a sausage out of plasticine and gripping it tightly so it conformed to the finger indentations and that's all it is. All quite legitimate and legal to carry around, nobody is being asked to make a bazooka or anything illegal. A guy makes them in the US but he's showing as sold out (too much work apparently). I don't feel comfortable in asking somebody to copy his design as I feel that's unethical, even as a one off for my own use, but something similar would be fine.

I'd expect it would be an easy 15-20 minute job for an experienced turner, including sanding and waxing. Your choice of wood, any offcut you had laying around, but a dark hardwood would look nice. I'm a big fan of Jarrah for example. Obviously I'd reimburse any expenses.

If anyone would be able to help me out please PM and I'll provide more information.

Thanks

Pete

chuck1
2nd March 2013, 02:46 PM
how many are you after?

Picko
2nd March 2013, 03:13 PM
Pete

I can help you. PM sent.

Pete F
2nd March 2013, 03:45 PM
how many are you after?

I guess at this stage just one or maybe two.

chuck1
2nd March 2013, 04:13 PM
very good! I have jarrah in stock can you send me some sort of rough drawing, which end is rounded and pointy? and we can go from there

Picko
2nd March 2013, 06:13 PM
Too easy Pete. Only a one stubby job.
Look OK?

Pete F
3rd March 2013, 04:52 PM
Too easy Pete. Only a one stubby job.
Look OK?

WOW! Perfect. Absolutely spot on, well done!

I sent you a couple of PMs before I realised you made it. Please send me another and I'll finalise the details in paying and getting it from you.

Thank you for everyone who offered to help, quite overwhelming that people offered to help out so readily.... and quickly!!

Pete