PDA

View Full Version : finished spinning wheel bobbins

chuck1
2nd March 2013, 08:41 PM
finished off bobbins today

hughie
2nd March 2013, 10:45 PM
finished off bobbins today

Rather you than me, I made some years ago, not the sort of turning I like.

issatree
3rd March 2013, 12:14 AM
Hi Chuck1,
If you Google all the different makes of S/Wheels, & do a little Advertising, you will get more work than you will probably know what to do with.
I've had a couple of goes, but just can't get them right.
The other point is to keep your cost down.
I work on turn over, & there is always another piece of wood, so I keep my cost down & those Ladies just keep coming back, so you win in the long run, where as you Charge like a wounded bull, & you never see them again ?.

Those that you did are Excellent in my Opinion, & would not want to go above $18.00. If you whack the price up on those, The Lady Spinners will leave you with them.

Wood like to know what finish you used, as I mostly use Beeswax, on items of that nature.
Anyway you are on a Winner.

dr4g0nfly
3rd March 2013, 05:47 AM
I took SWMBO to a Craft event (loads of craft shops stalls in a hall, not crafters selling selling their makings) yesterday. I got talking to a couple of the stallholders with spinning wheels and other associated items...

... there does seem to be a reasonable market for turned items for wheels, spinners and knitters.

wheelinround
3rd March 2013, 10:06 AM
Chuck they are a great looking set if your not charging $25 each then your underselling yourself and the finished item.

Often you'll find they have a larger centre with a bush at either end the size of the shaft mostly on newer wheels. Some of the ladies demand that they have the same on their's if made to order. Between two of us (another turner) we both did a set up and came to the conclusion $50 for a single bobbin would cover the work involved and materials. Of cours the response was not a nice one.

My latest set are the roughest I have done using Pine but in keeping with the wheel for LOML.

Like Hugie I have done my fair share and will continue for the ladies at the guild Sue's goes to other than that :no:.

One of the ladies who no longer attends and I had a situation with me making them and her selling when she decided I was to make them for $11 each so she could sell them for $25 to cover her costs I just said time she starting using her hubbies old lathe.

There are many other things you can make as well which the ladies will buy if they like the price hope it keeps you busy.

chuck1
3rd March 2013, 10:08 AM
thanks guys, I only do them to order. I was asked to attend a local spinning event and I just get the odd job. after seeing the bobbin I quoted $20 and the lady said I better get 6 of them! they are a great guild to work with! I finished them with a couple of coats of glow. and I changed the design to make my life easier!