PDA

View Full Version : Sydney-Hunter-Blue Mntns...... Who wants timber from MAPLEMAN brought down?

Pages : [1] 2

FenceFurniture
5th March 2013, 12:18 PM
APPROVED BY ADMIN

An opportunity has arisen where we can get a couple of pallets (1 Tonne max) of timber from Mapleman brought down. Anyone who has been watching the extraordinary Mango Stump thread (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f132/mango-stump-160614/) could be mightily interested in this, as well as any of the other species that MM has (Blackwood, Q.Maple et al).

The story is this: Bushmiller (Paul) has very generously offered to bring a load down to the Hunter Valley just before Easter, as he is finally going down there to knock over that Spotted Gum for his workbench build. He has a flat bed 1 Tonner that two pallets can be loaded on to.

LOGISTICS:

Mapleman will load the pallets, and get them to E-go transport depot on the Sunshine Coast (Kunda Park)
O'nite to Toowoomba depot for not much cost, and Paul will pu from there on March 22nd
A day or two later Paul will drive down to the Hunter, and will want to offload to someone who has the capabilities of unloading and very short term storage.
We have to work out the back end between us all, on how to get the timber from there to the end users, but I should think that this is very achievable
Singleton would be an excellent place for Paul to drop off the timber. Tooooonnnnyyyy..........are you ears burning?
We will all contribute a little something (pro-rata) to cover Paul's increased fuel costs, and also the transport for E-go

PURCHASES:

You negotiate whatever it is that you want directly with Mapleman
Maximum board length 1100mm (to fit on the pallet)
First in best dressed to fill the load

PAYMENTS:
Payments will have to come to me so that I can split them up amongst MM, BM and E-go

TIMING:
This will be quite critical, as we have to allow for the various activities to take place, and the critical path is as follows:

Negotiating your purchase with MM
Determining the final load, and therefore cost of transport
Get the payment to me No later than 15th March, because we need to allow some take-up time after this date
Pallets from MM to Kunda Park probably 18/19th March, but may have to be earlier (MM will advise)
Delivery to Toowoomba probably 19/20th March
Pick up from Toowoomba 22nd March (firm date)
Drop off in the Hunter 24/25th March...BM can advise

There are probably a couple of other considerations, but the main one is
GET YOUR SKATES ON!

Do your negotiations with MM in private (or in this thread if you wish), but you will have to keep the thread up to date with what you are doing so that I know how it's all panning out, and can co-ordinate it all.

We have all shown in the past how well we can co-operate on such things, so this could be quite a fun run.

Cheers
Brett

EDIT: It would not be hard to organise a delivery to other parts of Oz. E-go Transport have pretty good rates, so if a few people from one area wanted to sort something out then it would work out pretty well for freight I reckon.

Cava - E-go can take bigger packages I'm sure.

E-Go Transport Website (http://www.e-go.com.au/home.do)
If you click Depot to Depot, and use Kunda Park as the initiating depot you'll see what I mean about the rates and depot locations

Sawdust Maker
5th March 2013, 05:25 PM
hmm :cool:

FenceFurniture
5th March 2013, 05:27 PM
hmm :cool:

Que? :?

NCArcher
5th March 2013, 05:34 PM
Singleton would be an excellent place for Paul to drop off the timber. Tooooonnnnyyyy..........are you ears burning?

LOL. You can certainly drop it off here short term. I can find space under cover for two pallets but I don't have any means to offload :no: Aside from my incredible strength of course :flex:

FenceFurniture
5th March 2013, 06:00 PM
LOL. You can certainly drop it off here short term. I can find space under cover for two pallets but I don't have any means to offload :no: Aside from my incredible strength of course :flex:

Champion! How close to the under-cover area can the flat top get?

I'm thinking that Ozhunter and I might have to go for a spin (once he reads my PM with the link :U). He's got a ute too.:;

wheelinround
5th March 2013, 06:05 PM
:C No room at the Inn Bret and a few other things happening ATM always the way.

Have fun chaps I'll be watching with interest hats for sure. Remember photos :p

FenceFurniture
5th March 2013, 06:06 PM
Probably a good idea for anybody interested to simply post "I'm in" and get to the detail a little later.

Bushmiller
5th March 2013, 06:06 PM
Tony

That's very gracious of you. It would certainly suit me and keep my fuel costs down. However a lot depends on where the end users are located so I will leave it to Brett to assess and make final decisions.

Just as an afterthought I travel the 600km between Millmerran and the Upper hunter via:

Texas
Inglewood
Warialda
Bingara
Barraba
Tamworth (where I will be stopping overnight visiting my son)
Upper Hunter

In principle a drop off anywhere along the way is possible, but it would have to be in town (no going fifty kms along a goat track :) ).

Also any arrangement there needs to be checked with Brett as he will be doing what he does so very well: Co-ordinating.

Regards
Paul

wheelinround
5th March 2013, 06:10 PM
Tony

That's very gracious of you. It would certainly suit me and keep my fuel costs down. However a lot depends on where the end users are located so I will leave it to Brett to assess and make final decisions.

Just as an afterthought I travel the 600km between Millmerran and the Upper hunter via:

Texas
Inglewood
Warialda
Bingara
Barraba
Upper Hunter

In principle a drop off anywhere along the way is possible, but it would have to be in town (no going fifty kms along a goat track :) ).

Also any arrangement there needs to be checked with Brett as he will be doing what he does so very well: Co-ordinating.

Regards
Paul

You mean like the desert and salad and and and at the Blue Mnts GtG :q

NCArcher
5th March 2013, 06:14 PM
Champion! How close to the under-cover area can the flat top get?

He can back up the driveway right to the door. Garage attached to house.

Tony

Don't worry Paul, we have sealed roads here in Singo,:; although the floods on the weekend washed half of them away :doh: but my place is in town and easy to get to. :U

FenceFurniture
5th March 2013, 06:18 PM
You mean like the desert and salad and and and at the Blue Mnts GtG :q

There's only one answer to that....:bartmoon:

Bushmiller
5th March 2013, 06:42 PM
He can back up the driveway right to the door. Garage attached to house.

Don't worry Paul, we have sealed roads here in Singo,:; although the floods on the weekend washed half of them away :doh: but my place is in town and easy to get to. :U

That sounds just the job :2tsup: . I do easy very well :) .

Regards
Paul

MAPLEMAN
5th March 2013, 06:44 PM
Cheers Brett for your initiative...species on hand at the moment are Mango,Blackwood,Qld Maple,Forest Red Gum,Crows Ash,Northern Silky Oak..if anyone is interested,p.m me for more details regarding dimensions and prices...will endeavour to make pricing attractive for anyone interested..all timber sustainably harvested,and alot of it carries stunning figure...if you are looking for quality timber,delivered,for a sensible price,then here's a great opportunity.Incidently,everything is seasoned,end checked,ready to work...maybe a club might want to puchase for it's members?...as mentioned,the price will be sensible,and the transport costs kept low...many thanks to Paul (Bushmiller) and others for trying to make it happen...Cheers MM :2tsup:

FenceFurniture
5th March 2013, 06:46 PM
Garage attached to house.

Priorities Tony....I think you mean house attached to workshop don't you?

Bushmiller
5th March 2013, 07:01 PM
I have just been doing a little research on Mango timber of which I had never seen before MM started on his epic root (actually I think he called it a stump in the interests of modesty). It is available as a timber once the tree, which is fast growing, becomes too big to easily harvest the fruit.

However that timber is nothing like the product MM has been painstakingly harvesting from the rootball. I guess that anybody with a day and a half to spare can troll through his thread again but I did turn up this shot of a bowl/tray turned from mango. The figure in MMs mango would be more akin to this piece I feel, although not quite as dark (MM may dispute my comment there.) I have seen the timber in the fibre, as it were, and it is impressive.

The density is around 550 to 650kg/m3 so I could bring down about 1.5m3 of timber if it were all mango. However MM has other timbers too including blackwood, some of which may be heavier. We will just have to see how it goes. Ordinarily I would be able to take a trailer too, but unfortunately I have my large trailer to collect from my son in Tamworth so that is not an option as Holden one tonners are not permitted to become a road train :wink: .

As Brett has said, expressions of interest should be made in this thread.

Regards
Paul

MAPLEMAN
5th March 2013, 07:05 PM
The Blackwood(melanoxylon) is as good as you will see anywhere,consistent colour,radial fiddleback,all from the same provinance,really is stunning(alot of 1/4 sawn material)...and the Mango is beautifully figured as well...:2tsup:

FenceFurniture
5th March 2013, 07:11 PM
.... before MM started on his epic root ....

I hear he's got a crook back. No wonder.

That's a fabulous bowl Paul.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th March 2013, 07:50 PM
What sorta dimensions are we looking at here? Slabs? Billets? Boards?

I'm currently interested in feature pieces suitable for box making and, of course, turning... and although, sadly, I'm not tooled up for larger furniture in my new shed (not everything fits :( ) I can always cut down to size...

cava
5th March 2013, 07:57 PM
I think that this is a great idea and kudos to Brett and MM. :2tsup::2tsup:

Unfortunately, I am looking for timber suitable for tables, so the length will be longer than a pallet.

That aside, if this is successful, perhaps subsequent loads may offer something more suitable for me.

It's a fantastic offer, and once again, and I am sure I write for everyone, it's a great idea and thank you for the offer. :U

Sawdust Maker
5th March 2013, 07:59 PM
Que? :?

means "I'm watchin'"

MAPLEMAN
5th March 2013, 08:02 PM

I'm currently interested in feature pieces suitable for box making and, of course, turning... and although, sadly, I'm not tooled up for larger furniture in my new shed (not everything fits :( ) I can always cut down to size...Plenty of box-making/instrument making/turning pieces Skew..and given the size restraints of the pallet,this is the sort of material that would be well suited for sending...:2tsup:

FenceFurniture
5th March 2013, 08:03 PM

Max length is 1100mm Skew. Other than that, check with MM. Certainly he's got stuff for boxes and spindle turning, possibly (probably) even bowl turning. Have a look at some of the pics in his Mango Stump thread - remarkable stuff. I have one small piece of his less spectacular Mango here if you want to check it for suitability.

Drillit
5th March 2013, 08:12 PM
Cheers Brett for your initiative...species on hand at the moment are Mango,Blackwood,Qld Maple,Forest Red Gum,Crows Ash,Northern Silky Oak..if anyone is interested,p.m me for more details regarding dimensions and prices...will endeavour to make pricing attractive for anyone interested..all timber sustainably harvested,and alot of it carries stunning figure...if you are looking for quality timber,delivered,for a sensible price,then here's a great opportunity.Incidently,everything is seasoned,end checked,ready to work...maybe a club might want to puchase for it's members?...as mentioned,the price will be sensible,and the transport costs kept low...many thanks to Paul (Bushmiller) and others for trying to make it happen...Cheers MM :2tsup:

Firstly many thanks Mapleman for your considerable efforts. I am specially interested in turning some mango bowls - the bigger the better. Can you let me know what you have available, thanks, Drillit (John M)

FenceFurniture
5th March 2013, 08:17 PM
Here are a few samples that MM sent me a little while ago. I've been fooling around with some different finishes over the weekend, and this is the Danish Oil bunch:

Left - Northern Silky Oak
Middle - an "average" piece of Mango
Right - Qld Maple

http://www.woodworkforums.com/members/62924-fencefurniture/albums/zmisc/256663-mm-0002.jpg

Yup, that's the first sunlight in quite some time. Grass is green ain't it?

MAPLEMAN
5th March 2013, 08:22 PM
Here are a few samples that MM sent me a little while ago. I've been fooling around with some different finishes over the weekend, and this is the Danish Oil bunch:

Left - still not sure what it is, but I don't think it's Silky Oak
Middle - an "average" piece of Mango
Right - Qld Maple

http://www.woodworkforums.com/members/62924-fencefurniture/albums/zmisc/256663-mm-0002.jpg

Yup, that's the first sunlight in quite some time. Grass is green ain't it?First one is Nth Silky Oak Brett..

MAPLEMAN
5th March 2013, 08:25 PM
Firstly many thanks Mapleman for your considerable efforts. I am specially interested in turning some mango bowls - the bigger the better. Can you let me know what you have available, thanks, Drillit (John M)Can accomodate you with some Mango bowls John..:2tsup:

FenceFurniture
5th March 2013, 08:27 PM
For the benefit of those who have already read my first post, I'll reproduce the edit that I have just done here:

EDIT: It would not be hard to organise a delivery to other parts of Oz. E-go Transport have pretty good rates, so if a few people from one area wanted to sort something out then it would work out pretty well for freight I reckon.

If you click Depot to Depot, and use Kunda Park as the initiating depot you'll see what I mean about the rates and depot locations

Bushmiller
5th March 2013, 08:29 PM
I hear he's got a crook back. No wonder.

:roflmao:

Regards
Paul

NCArcher
5th March 2013, 08:35 PM
Priorities Tony....I think you mean house attached to workshop don't you?
Nope, I have a seperate detached workshop/shed. The garage is for storing all the carp that I don't want in the shed :D It's also my timber storage.

FenceFurniture
5th March 2013, 08:39 PM
This is a version of the pic from Photobucket, so it should have more detail:

http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w443/FenceFurniture/MM0002_zpsfbcd3490.jpg

Sawdust Maker
5th March 2013, 08:42 PM
The couple of sticks of Mango MM sent me are absolutely superb
all I've done with it so far is to drool whilst looking at it.
Ok I'm about to finish a pen with a bit that fell off a box making piece
It's yummy and turns like butter (well chilled butter)

Sawdust Maker
5th March 2013, 08:45 PM
This is a version of the pic from Photobucket, so it should have more detail:

http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w443/FenceFurniture/MM0002_zpsfbcd3490.jpg

Not bad
next time you're in Sydney Town can you drop them into me?
You look like your wasting them just leaving them in the sun as you're doing! :o

FenceFurniture
5th March 2013, 08:45 PM
The couple of sticks of Mango MM sent me are absolutely superb

Indeed Nick. Pretty easy to flat work as well. Maybe some of the figure will tear with a plane, but a scraper will fix that (or a better tuned plane:D)

MAPLEMAN
5th March 2013, 08:46 PM
Only slabs available are freeform Mango stump ones...full of figure and some crazy shapes..will post some pics tonight if i can...:2tsup:

FenceFurniture
5th March 2013, 08:47 PM
Not bad
next time you're in Sydney Town can you drop them into me?
You look like your wasting them just leaving them in the sun as you're doing! :o

Did you see my earlier response to wheelin? Copy and paste.

Sawdust Maker
5th March 2013, 08:48 PM
why are there 8 members camped on this thread?

dai sensei
5th March 2013, 08:58 PM
There are many different mango tree species and even a single species can vary due to the soil it grows in. I have mango that is pale as Jacaranda to as dark as red cedar. The majority I have seen is similar to maple in colour, but with blue stain if not treated early.

MAPLEMAN
5th March 2013, 09:02 PM
There are many different mango tree species and even a single species can vary due to the soil it grows in. I have mango that is pale as Jacaranda to as dark as red cedar. The majority I have seen is similar to maple in colour, but with blue stain if not treated early.The colours in the stump had gold,red,pink,green,brown,yellow and orange hues...it varied tremendously throughout..quite amazing!

pjt
5th March 2013, 10:05 PM
Hi MM, have you much in the way of blackwood crotch/branch intersections/rootball kinda stuff?

Pete

MAPLEMAN
5th March 2013, 10:47 PM
Hi MM, have you much in the way of blackwood crotch/branch intersections/rootball kinda stuff?

PeteWill have a detailed look in the shed tomorrow Pete,and give you an accurate answer tomorrow..there is a bit of flame grain material though,by memory...Cheers Chris

Christos
6th March 2013, 08:28 AM
..... The garage is for storing all the carp that I don't want in the shed......

Where does the car live? :rolleyes:

Ross
6th March 2013, 09:15 AM
MM

What do you have in quarter sawn?

Ross

MAPLEMAN
6th March 2013, 11:11 AM
Quite alot of guitar neckstock,also some material for sides..

NCArcher
6th March 2013, 06:11 PM
Where does the car live? :rolleyes:

It's a 4WD. It prefers to be outside. And my wife's car stays outside to keep it company.

chambezio
6th March 2013, 06:49 PM
Mainly to MapleMan....could I have 4 Mango bowl blanks? Size is not critical but say as small as a desert dish to a salad bowl. Just want to have a play and see what comes out.
Can pick up from Tamworth anytime.

Bushmiller
6th March 2013, 06:56 PM
Rod

I could either meet up with you in Tamworth or, if that is not convenient or practical, leave them with my son for you to collect at your leisure.

Regards
Paul

MAPLEMAN
6th March 2013, 06:58 PM
Mainly to MapleMan....could I have 4 Mango bowl blanks? Size is not critical but say as small as a desert dish to a salad bowl. Just want to have a play and see what comes out.
Can pick up from Tamworth anytime.No worries chambezio...:2tsup:

chambezio
6th March 2013, 10:48 PM
Thanks Paul those arrangements will work fine but I would like to meet you in the flesh....if only to put a face to the name. (No offense to your son) :U

Bushmiller
6th March 2013, 11:33 PM
Thanks Paul those arrangements will work fine but I would like to meet you in the flesh....if only to put a face to the name. (No offense to your son) :U

Me too. Son is not easily offended. :) .

Regards
Paul

ian
6th March 2013, 11:42 PM

Texas
Inglewood
Warialda
Bingara
Barraba
Upper Hunter
Odd route to choose to get from Toowoomba to Tamworth, Google maps says it takes 3/4 hour longer than heading down teh New England Hwy

Bushmiller
7th March 2013, 12:15 AM
Odd route to choose to get from Toowoomba to Tamworth, Google maps says it takes 3/4 hour longer than heading down teh New England Hwy

Ian

I live in Millmerran which is about 80km from Toowoomba. I had planned to pick up from Toowoomba (I have to periodically visit the smoke) and bring back to Millmerran. I then have to do my last two shifts before travelling to the Hunter.

I travel the route described previously as my first choice as it is both more interesting and attractive, but if I am towing a trailer I will normally go through

Goondiwindi
Moree
Narrabri
Gunnedah

This second route is slightly longer, but a faster less twisty journey and time wise is the same.

It would be an option to pick up from Toowoomba the morning I head to the Hunter. I will see how things pan out. If time becomes an issue I may have to go with your suggestion, but it doesn't, from my point of view, leave any margin for error.

Regards
Paul

Skew ChiDAMN!!
7th March 2013, 11:09 AM
Just to inform those who need to know:

I'm in for some mango turning blanks and pieces for jewellery boxes. :D (Sorted via PM with Mapleman)

And personally, I don't care what route the timber takes to get here - so long as it does. I'd rather happy wood that has been on a long sight-seeing trip than cranky stuff that "doesn't want to play nice." :rolleyes::wink:

chambezio
7th March 2013, 12:51 PM
Forgive me for this next comment as its not in line with the thread.
I get repeatedly irritated with the way some are so damned impatient with a journey by road. Why do we have to travel THE most direct line and why do we have to do it in the shortest time? I will "go out of my way" to travel on quiet bush roads (tarred ones) to get to somewhere. I make sure I have plenty of daylight to do it and take in the scenery as we go. Pulling up to have a good look at things along the way is a great past time.
I'm sure that a lot of accidents on the roads are due to "deadlines to be met".
My brother was asked by a member of the car club in Armidale to make him a trip map because he had a wedding in Nowra to attend. One proviso was that he didn't want to drive in Sydney. My brother did the map for him and upon return to Armidale the guy said it was a great trip with hardly any traffic
Graeme Connors sings about the road less travelled. I think if we used it more we would live longer.

I'll get off my soap box now. Thank you

crowie
7th March 2013, 01:05 PM
G'Day Brett,
As mentioned in the text I too have had tele/conv with Chris [MM] yesterday about a small quantity of timber for my toymaking.
I'm waiting for an email & photo from Chris to confirm what he can offer; I suggested offcuts type bits & pieces to fill a small fruit box.
Cheers, crowie

PS - thanks Brett for your entrepreneurial skills to organize this venture.......

NCArcher
7th March 2013, 04:51 PM
Hijack Alert.
Now that this seems to be going ahead I have a request to make.
As the timber will be deposited at my place for a short time before it is picked up by Brett and (posssibly) Adam, I have an item in Sydney that I need to get to Singo. i.e. get to Brett's.
The item is a saw vice that I forgot to pick up from the BM GTG and is currently residing at Pat's place. I don't even know where Pat lives but I believe it to be towards the Gong.
If anybody is going past Pat's and could move it a bit closer to the Blue Mountains it would be very much appreciated. I'll send a pm to Pat to let him know about this post and I'll duplicate this in the appropriate forum.
Hopfully the poor little vice will find it's way home. There is another problem though. Pat had to wrestle Adam for the vice at the GTG. While Pat is pretty big and could hold his own against Adam, if the vice makes it this far I'm not too sure how well I will fare against Adam. He's a big boy :D

Sawdust Maker
7th March 2013, 09:16 PM
NC

I might be able to call in a favour and get it delivered to the city from where I could get it the week after next (ie 19th)

and whomever's going past could grab it

I'm not sure whether Ross is going to put up his hand as a possible ute pickup person?

FenceFurniture
7th March 2013, 09:26 PM
NC

I might be able to call in a favour and get it delivered to the city from where I could get it the week after next (ie 19th)

I'm not sure whether Ross is going to put up his hand as a possible ute pickup person?

We may or may not need two utes. ATM I'm thinking one, and Ozhunter is yet to read this thread, but it won't be long.

MAPLEMAN
7th March 2013, 09:31 PM
We may or may not need two utes. ATM I'm thinking one, and Ozhunter is yet to read this thread, but it won't be long.I think Adam has had a peruse :rolleyes:

FenceFurniture
7th March 2013, 09:42 PM
Two utes then?

NCArcher
7th March 2013, 10:20 PM
NC

Thanks Nick but I think we have it sorted in the Members Transport Section. Or we did till .....helped us out :D

ian
7th March 2013, 10:25 PM
Forgive me for this next comment as its not in line with the thread.
I get repeatedly irritated with the way some are so damned impatient with a journey by road. Why do we have to travel THE most direct line and why do we have to do it in the shortest time? I will "go out of my way" to travel on quiet bush roads (tarred ones) to get to somewhere. I make sure I have plenty of daylight to do it and take in the scenery as we go. Pulling up to have a good look at things along the way is a great past time.
I'm sure that a lot of accidents on the roads are due to "deadlines to be met".
My brother was asked by a member of the car club in Armidale to make him a trip map because he had a wedding in Nowra to attend. One proviso was that he didn't want to drive in Sydney. My brother did the map for him and upon return to Armidale the guy said it was a great trip with hardly any traffic
Graeme Connors sings about the road less travelled. I think if we used it more we would live longer.

I'll get off my soap box now. Thank youyour forgiven,
if you'll forgive me for sometimes letting my day job intervene in a discussion :wink:

wattycoo
8th March 2013, 01:23 PM
Brett, I am interested in participating and have pm'ed Mapleman to see what is available. I live in Armidale on weekends, work in Moree during the week so if Bushmiller is agreeable I would collect from Tamworth, many thanks Ross

FenceFurniture
8th March 2013, 01:37 PM
Brett, I am interested in participating and have pm'ed Mapleman to see what is available. I live in Armidale on weekends, work in Moree during the week so if Bushmiller is agreeable I would collect from Tamworth, many thanks Ross

Paul could probably off load your stuff to Chambezio (who is closer to Moonbi than Tamworth as I recall).

wattycoo
8th March 2013, 01:43 PM
Brett, either would be fine. I note you are continuing to do your bit in encouraging domestic harmony with my incredibly tolerant chancellor of the exchequer :D

MAPLEMAN
9th March 2013, 12:42 AM
APPROVED BY ADMIN

An opportunity has arisen where we can get a couple of pallets (1 Tonne max) of timber from Mapleman brought down. Anyone who has been watching the extraordinary Mango Stump thread (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f132/mango-stump-160614/) could be mightily interested in this, as well as any of the other species that MM has (Blackwood, Q.Maple et al).

The story is this: Bushmiller (Paul) has very generously offered to bring a load down to the Hunter Valley just before Easter, as he is finally going down there to knock over that Spotted Gum for his workbench build. He has a flat bed 1 Tonner that two pallets can be loaded on to.

LOGISTICS:

Mapleman will load the pallets, and get them to E-go transport depot on the Sunshine Coast (Kunda Park)
O'nite to Toowoomba depot for not much cost, and Paul will pu from there on March 22nd
A day or two later Paul will drive down to the Hunter, and will want to offload to someone who has the capabilities of unloading and very short term storage.
We have to work out the back end between us all, on how to get the timber from there to the end users, but I should think that this is very achievable
We will all contribute a little something (pro-rata) to cover Paul's increased fuel costs, and also the transport for E-go

PURCHASES:

You negotiate whatever it is that you want directly with Mapleman
Maximum board length 1100mm (to fit on the pallet)
First in best dressed to fill the load

PAYMENTS:
Payments will have to come to me so that I can split them up amongst MM, BM and E-go

TIMING:
This will be quite critical, as we have to allow for the various activities to take place, and the critical path is as follows:

Negotiating your purchase with MM
Determining the final load, and therefore cost of transport
Get the payment to me No later than 15th March, because we need to allow some take-up time after this date
Pallets from MM to Kunda Park probably 18/19th March, but may have to be earlier (MM will advise)
Delivery to Toowoomba probably 19/20th March
Pick up from Toowoomba 22nd March (firm date)
Drop off in the Hunter 24/25th March...BM can advise

There are probably a couple of other considerations, but the main one is
GET YOUR SKATES ON!

Do your negotiations with MM in private (or in this thread if you wish), but you will have to keep the thread up to date with what you are doing so that I know how it's all panning out, and can co-ordinate it all.

We have all shown in the past how well we can co-operate on such things, so this could be quite a fun run.

Cheers
Brett

If you click Depot to Depot, and use Kunda Park as the initiating depot you'll see what I mean about the rates and depot locationsI have just clicked onto the website,and sorted a quote fom kunda park to toowoomba for a pallet weighing700kg,around a 1 metre square...$440 plus :o:o...as well as $150 for truck to cart from my place to kunda park,as well as paying Bushmiller for his services...sorry folks,if i had known this,i would not have given the green light to proceed :no:...things are looking a little messy,perhaps o.k in theory,but defeats that purchase of landing the timber at a reasonable price..at the end of the day,the costs have to be picked up by the punters,which,wont be happening.The cost of getting a sawn cube(palletised),around 700kg,to Sydney,is around $200-$300,,,and leaving from the farm gate would add another $100-$150...probably work out at half the cost..sorry again folks..i was under the impression E-Go were cheap...cheap they are not..dearer to land pallet in Toowoomba, with this mob,than it is to send to Sydney with a regular transport mob...oh dear:doh::C...and without triple handling etc etc..:doh:

wattycoo
9th March 2013, 08:08 AM
Thanks for trying MM, BM, FF, sounds like this won't be proceeding - nothing ventured nothing gained :C

FenceFurniture
9th March 2013, 09:05 AM
I'm getting a result of $239 for 700kg 110x110x100 cm, which is more than I thought, but still less than the result you are getting Chris. But when I put in Kunda Park to Sydney I get $211, so it's definitely a bit weird. Perhaps a phone may be needed to overide the website.

Other than that, it may not be lost yet- I just don't give in too easily. Standby.

ian
9th March 2013, 09:58 AM
I have just clicked onto the website,and sorted a quote fom kunda park to toowoomba for a pallet weighing700kg,around a 1 metre square...$440 plus :o:o...as well as $150 for truck to cart from my place to kunda park,as well as paying Bushmiller for his services...sorry folks,if i had known this,i would not have given the green light to proceed :no:...things are looking a little messy,perhaps o.k in theory,but defeats that purchase of landing the timber at a reasonable price..at the end of the day,the costs have to be picked up by the punters,which,wont be happening.The cost of getting a sawn cube(palletised),around 700kg,to Sydney,is around $200-$300,,,and leaving from the farm gate would add another $100-$150...probably work out at half the cost..sorry again folks..i was under the impression E-Go were cheap...cheap they are not..dearer to land pallet in Toowoomba, with this mob,than it is to send to Sydney with a regular transport mob...oh dear:doh::C...and without triple handling etc etc..:doh:

I'm getting a result of $239 for 700kg 110x110x100 cm, which is more than I thought, but still less than the result you are getting Chris. But when I put in Kunda Park to Sydney I get $211, so it's definitely a bit weird. Perhaps a phone may be needed to overide the website.

Other than that, it may not be lost yet- I just don't give in too easily. Standby.WARNING, my day job is interjecting again

I'm not surprised by the differential in costs that you are seeing.

If you're moving stuff between Sydney and Brisvegas or between Sydney and "Bleak City" a small quantity will go onto a 45 or 70 tonne truck on a "space available" basis -- i.e. included with another bigger load that doesn't fill the truck, either in terms of volume or mass. Consequently the transport rate is very low
But as soon as you get away from the Capital City to Capital City routes (and unfortunately, Toomwoomba is not on one of those routes) the your little load starts to become the reason for the truck moving at all. If you are in luck it will go on the back of a semi where your little 1 tonne load might represent 10-20% of the total payload, if you're unlucky, your load will be on the back of a rigid truck where your load represents 50-60% of the payload.

end of interjection

This whole idfea of sending a pallet or two of special wood to Sydney remains a great idea.
Based on the freight rates, sending the wood directly to Sydney for collection on a 1 tonne trailer looks to be the go

FenceFurniture
9th March 2013, 12:23 PM
It's all good, and has in fact yielded an even better result (which is always the goal in a recovery situation:U).

Paul has very, very kindly offered to go direct to Mapleman and load the timber straight onto his flat-top. This brings into play longer pieces of timber, up to 2400mm, and you will have to talk to MM about what he has available in the longer lengths (more restricted range).

Paul will be loading the timber on Friday 22nd March, returning to Millmerran, and then heading off to Tamworth on Tuesday 26th (or it may be the day before, I can't quite remember).

So, how's that for a recovery eh?

THANK YOU PAUL!! You're a champ! :2tsup: The tremendous spirit of this forum has never been more evident.

Btw, that is kinda what I meant by "Standby" - I just had this feeling that knowing Paul as I do, he would come to the rescue after he read this morning's posts.

Anybody looking for longer pieces can now ask about availability from MM.

FenceFurniture
9th March 2013, 12:30 PM
This whole idfea of sending a pallet or two of special wood to Sydney remains a great idea.
Based on the freight rates, sending the wood directly to Sydney for collection on a 1 tonne trailer looks to be the go

Couldn't agree more Ian, and I hope the idea catches on. I'm sure the word will get around the forum (particularly when people start to see the finished results from some of this really pretty timber), and we could start to see pallets being shot off to Melbourne etc. Just a matter of thinking it through, really. In a town the size of Sydney you'd have to think that a pallet a month would not be at all out of the question.

MAPLEMAN
9th March 2013, 12:30 PM
Nice one Paul...good effort that...:2tsup::2tsup:

wattycoo
9th March 2013, 12:44 PM
Wow! Thank you Bushmiller, Ross :)

crowie
9th March 2013, 07:45 PM
Well done Brett [FF], that's a top result with a HUGE THANK YOU to Paul [bushman].
While I've only asked for a very small amount of timber, we need to ensure Paul is compensated for the going the extra miles.
Cheers, crowie

FenceFurniture
9th March 2013, 08:08 PM
Yes crowie, that's all part of the deal.

Sawdust Maker
9th March 2013, 08:11 PM
Good job, Bushy ! :2tsup::2tsup:

Drillit
10th March 2013, 09:53 AM
Can accomodate you with some Mango bowls John..:2tsup:

Many thanks, Mapleman. No doubt you will let me know in due course. 3 or 4 would be terrific, but I am in your hands, of course. :2tsup: Drillit.

MAPLEMAN
10th March 2013, 10:37 AM
The important part of this exercise is volume...presently only have a few small orders,we really do need to fill a pallet to make it worthwhile!

FenceFurniture
10th March 2013, 01:16 PM
Spot on MM. This is a bulk thing.
The cost to Paul to get a large (maximum) load down is $200.
The cost to Paul for a couple of sticks might be (say) $160. Even if it was less, the per member cost for a tiny load (as it currently stands) would be greater than the cost of posting, so not worthwhile, especially when it's almost the same physical effort (driving from Millmerran to MM and back is a 500k round trip).

I understand that some don't have the dough to spend, or only need small quantities, and this is not a request for them to increase their orders, but we'll have to get something happening.

MAPLEMAN
10th March 2013, 01:39 PM
The cost to Paul for a couple of sticks might be (say) $160. Even if it was less, the per member cost for a tiny load (as it currently stands) would be greater than the cost of posting, so not worthwhile, especially when it's almost the same physical effort (driving from Millmerran to MM and back is a 500k round trip).

I understand that some don't have the dough to spend, or only need small quantities, and this is not a request for them to increase their orders, but we'll have to get something happening.p.m sent :2tsup:

Bushmiller
10th March 2013, 02:36 PM

I understand that some don't have the dough to spend, or only need small quantities, and this is not a request for them to increase their orders, but we'll have to get something happening.

I thought I had better elaborate a little on Brett's comments. I was going to the Hunter Valley anyway so my philosophy was I would add a few dollars for the extra fuel I would use being fully laden. The trip to MM (about 500km round trip) and to NC in Singleton from Muswellbrook(about 100Km round trip) I have to ask for the full cost of fuel as these were unplanned trips.

I am not buying timber from MM this time for the simple reason I bought timber from him about three months ago necessitating two trips of which one was with a trailer as well. Consequently I am fairly well stocked up and in any event the Chancellor of the Exchequer is unlikely to allocate further funds!

I am mentioning this purely to point out that I don't particularly have a vested interest in this opportunity nor am I subsiding any activities of my own.

The benefit for me is the opportunity to meet some forum members whom I feel I know and yet have never met. For me that is the treat and one not to be understated.

One last comment is that most of the timber I purchased from MM was longer and larger sections ( as opposed to highly figured mango and other turning type sections). It included Forest Redgum, Grey Ironbark and Tallow Wood. His stocks are changing all the time and there may well be none of those timbers remaining so if you are half way interested I would ask via this thread or a PM for details. The cost without disclosing confidential information was under half what I would expect to pay from a mill and way less than retail.

Having said that this is some Tallow Wood with a little bit of figure that I got from him.

A suggestion, for example, would be that he is an excellent source of material for a super duper work bench.

There is not much time available. He (or she) who hesitates......:).

Regards
Paul

FenceFurniture
10th March 2013, 03:19 PM
Having said that this is some Tallow Wood with a little bit of figure that I got from him.

A little bit of figure? I've never seen tallowood like it. Lovely stuff!

Actually, that point was really well made Paul - now you've got me thinking about the timber for a bench that I need to build much sooner rather than later. Only difficulty is that I have no idea what style and therefore how much timber required. It will only be a shorty as I don't think I can go much past 1700 long in my showbox.

What do you think of tallowood for a bench (top, that it, the legs etc can be anything stiff and straight)?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
10th March 2013, 04:43 PM

I'd add a few zero's to my order if I could. Then again, if I could do that I'd probably be broke from buying out the Dead Finish Vern was offering... :sigh:

MAPLEMAN
10th March 2013, 06:30 PM
I thought I had better elaborate a little on Brett's comments. I was going to the Hunter Valley anyway so my philosophy was I would add a few dollars for the extra fuel I would use being fully laden. The trip to MM (about 500km round trip) and to NC in Singleton from Muswellbrook(about 100Km round trip) I have to ask for the full cost of fuel as these were unplanned trips.

I am not buying timber from MM this time for the simple reason I bought timber from him about three months ago necessitating two trips of which one was with a trailer as well. Consequently I am fairly well stocked up and in any event the Chancellor of the Exchequer is unlikely to allocate further funds!

I am mentioning this purely to point out that I don't particularly have a vested interest in this opportunity nor am I subsiding any activities of my own.

The benefit for me is the opportunity to meet some forum members whom I feel I know and yet have never met. For me that is the treat and one not to be understated.

One last comment is that most of the timber I purchased from MM was longer and larger sections ( as opposed to highly figured mango and other turning type sections). It included Forest Redgum, Grey Ironbark and Tallow Wood. His stocks are changing all the time and there may well be none of those timbers remaining so if you are half way interested I would ask via this thread or a PM for details. The cost without disclosing confidential information was under half what I would expect to pay from a mill and way less than retail.

A suggestion, for example, would be that he is an excellent source of material for a super duper work bench.

There is not much time available. He (or she) who hesitates......:).

Regards
PaulBloody lovely Tallow that....still got a fair bit of it to mill...offered the logs a few months ago to a fellow forumite,who,seemed to question the quality of it, as i wanted $150-$200m3 in the round..at farm gate ready for transport...'want to be good quality at that price "he said..:no::doh:as if he was being ripped off..needless to say,i decided to keep them and will mill them myself..it is as good as it gets..silly him :rolleyes:

MAPLEMAN
10th March 2013, 06:38 PM
A little bit of figure? I've never seen tallowood like it. Lovely stuff!

Actually, that point was really well made Paul - now you've got me thinking about the timber for a bench that I need to build much sooner rather than later. Only difficulty is that I have no idea what style and therefore how much timber required. It will only be a shorty as I don't think I can go much past 1700 long in my showbox.

What do you think of tallowood for a bench (top, that it, the legs etc can be anything stiff and straight)?Great for bench tops Brett..now how much would you like??:D:wink:

wattycoo
10th March 2013, 06:57 PM
I'm certainly prepared to add some to my order, just waiting for MM to tell me how much I've spent so far . Chris I would not say no to some figured Tallowood :D

MAPLEMAN
10th March 2013, 07:51 PM
I'm certainly prepared to add some to my order, just waiting for MM to tell me how much I've spent so far . Chris I would not say no to some figured Tallowood :DSorry for not getting back to you sooner wattycoo..will p.m you in about an hour,as i have just finished working the mill...Cheers MM:2tsup: (anyone that i haven't replied to yet,will try my best to respond tonight!)

FenceFurniture
10th March 2013, 08:33 PM
Great for bench tops Brett..now how much would you like??:D:wink:

An objective opinion if ever I could rely on one eh? :q

Well, Ill have to do some serious quicktime research to figure how much I'll need to cover a couple of options (design wise), but for the moment let's work on :

2100mm long (minimum delivered length, variation in length doesn't matter)
Finished thickness of the bench top will be 90-100mm, so all sticks have to cover that, so 100-110 rough sawn width dimension
The third dimension for the sticks is not too critical (and can probably even vary, truth be told) but 50mm rough sawn thickness dimension to be able to go down to say 45mm finished
Based upon the last point above, I'd need 14 sticks to cover 600mm wide, plus a couple leftover, so qty of16 sticks

This may well not be final, depending upon the research, but it'll give you an idea to start with, and throw some ideas back at me. I'm so easy to get on with.:D

I probably wouldn't mind putting a contrasting colour edge around the top. Qld Maple might look pretty sexy, depending on how yellow the tallowood is. Maybe 25mm wide (on the bench top and 90-100mm down from the top (in other words to cover the full thickness of the top).

MAPLEMAN
10th March 2013, 09:39 PM

Well, Ill have to do some serious quicktime research to figure how much I'll need to cover a couple of options (design wise), but for the moment let's work on :

Finished thickness of the bench top will be 90-100mm, so all sticks have to cover that, so 100-110 rough sawn width dimension
The third dimension for the sticks is not too critical (and can probably even vary, truth be told) but 50mm rough sawn thickness dimension to be able to go down to say 45mm finished
Based upon the last point above, I'd need 14 sticks to cover 600mm wide, plus a couple leftover, so qty of16 sticks

This may well not be final, depending upon the research, but it'll give you an idea to start with, and throw some ideas back at me. I'm so easy to get on with.:D

I probably wouldn't mind putting a contrasting colour edge around the top. Qld Maple might look pretty sexy, depending on how yellow the tallowood is. Maybe 25mm wide (on the bench top and 90-100mm down from the top (in other words to cover the full thickness of the top).Can sort that!!

Sawdust Maker
10th March 2013, 09:52 PM
I'm certainly prepared to add some to my order, just waiting for MM to tell me how much I've spent so far . Chris I would not say no to some figured Tallowood :D

If there's any of that figured tallowood in bowl type sizes I'd be interested

MAPLEMAN
10th March 2013, 09:57 PM
If there's any of that figured tallowood in bowl type sizes I'd be interestedI can mill you some Nick.i have found you some curly Forest Red Gum blanks,and put them aside :2tsup:

wheelinround
10th March 2013, 10:07 PM
I can mill you some Nick.i have found you some curly Forest Red Gum blanks,and put them aside :2tsup:

:worthless:

Bushmiller
11th March 2013, 12:50 AM

I probably wouldn't mind putting a contrasting colour edge around the top. Qld Maple might look pretty sexy, depending on how yellow the tallowood is. Maybe 25mm wide (on the bench top and 90-100mm down from the top (in other words to cover the full thickness of the top).

Brett

Yout reasoning is fairly sound there. I am about to do my charlatan thing here because this is the first time I have worked with Tallow Wood. It is dense (almost 1000Kg/m3 dry) and although it dries slowly has little degrade and low shrinkage. According to Bootle it needs careful attention when gluing (like our spotted gum). Modern glues seem to be able to cope better.

Unless you have some other stock I would also be looking for some darker timber for the undercarriage. If you are considering a floor, some 100 x 50 in the Tallow might be an idea too. Depending on the vice, sliding deadman etc you might need something for those too.

Sorry. Love workbenches. My twopennyworth.

Regards
Paul

Sawdust Maker
11th March 2013, 07:40 AM
:worthless:

Give him a chance, gotta mill it first. :U
can you show a picky to everyone 'crept Ray? He'll only get jealous and want to come and borrow it:p

pjt
12th March 2013, 12:13 AM
Brett

Yout reasoning is fairly sound there. I am about to do my charlatan thing here because this is the first time I have worked with Tallow Wood. It is dense (almost 1000Kg/m3 dry) and although it dries slowly has little degrade and low shrinkage. According to Bootle it needs careful attention when gluing (like our spotted gum). Modern glues seem to be able to cope better.

Unless you have some other stock I would also be looking for some darker timber for the undercarriage. If you are considering a floor, some 100 x 50 in the Tallow might be an idea too. Depending on the vice, sliding deadman etc you might need something for those too.

Sorry. Love workbenches. My twopennyworth.

Regards
Paul

I was thinking the same as Paul there in that you didn't mention anything about undercarriage, I am currently into a bench build if you want to take a look in the bench forum, so far the undercarriage is pretty much done, like you I am gonna go thick on the top, I have used a heap of reclaimed house joists/rafters which I machined down to about 38/40mm thick and will end up about 76mm wide, this will form the top, it will be heavy.....

Pete

Bushmiller
12th March 2013, 02:09 AM
Brett

My reference to a floor in Tallow should have read 100 x 25. (Not 100 x 50)

Regards
Paul

MAPLEMAN
12th March 2013, 09:01 AM
Everyone has been sent e-mail(s) this morning...the volume still well under a m3...MM

crowie
12th March 2013, 09:14 AM
Everyone has been sent e-mail(s) this morning...the volume still well under a m3...MM

Ubeaut, I'll be watching for that email at morning tea time.....Thanks Chris for all your efforts.. Cheers, crowie

wattycoo
12th March 2013, 02:36 PM
Brett, I am out. MM thank you for trying, Ross

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th March 2013, 07:40 PM
Everyone has been sent e-mail(s) this morning...

?? Not here. :shrug:

the volume still well under a m3...MM

Bummer. That screws things up, eh?

MAPLEMAN
12th March 2013, 08:15 PM
?? Not here. :shrug:

Bummer. That screws things up, eh?Sorry Skew..forgot you somehow.....p.m will be sent in a few minutes...its all good!