PDA

View Full Version : I bought some great cheap chisels

derekcohen
5th June 2002, 04:07 AM
I just want to pass on the info about some great bevel edge chisels I have just purchased. They are made by Nooitgedagt, a Dutch company, and use Swedish steel blades. The wooden handles are OK (beech?). These chisels have received great reviews on Badger Pond (website is http://www.wwforum.com/cgi-bin/forum_main/handtool.cgi),which was why I was prepared to buy them sight unseen . I purchased a set of 8 (6mm - 38mm) on eBay (www.ebay.com) for USD 28. Shipped to Perth the total was about AUD 80. These chisels only come up for sale every now and then, and go quickly, so keep an eye out for them.

Derek (in Perth)

ubeaut
6th June 2002, 02:13 AM
Probably could have purchased them for less in Australia. Mik International used to be agents for them, not sure if they still are. Their turning tools used to be pretty ordinary I hope the chisels aren't the same.

derekcohen
7th June 2002, 04:48 AM
These are relatively inexpensive chisels, granted, but the gang at Badger Pond rate them more higher than Sorby chisels in terms of holding a sharp edge. They are reputedly tough, with excellent Swedish steel blades - I do not want to use my Japanese chisels where levering chips is required (as in cleaning up a mortice) since they are too brittle for this type of work. I figured, in this regard, that the Nooitgedagt chisels would be a step up from my old yellow Stanley chisels.

I will report further once I have had some time using them.

Derek (in Perth)