PDA

View Full Version : microwave bowl drying

mat_au
6th March 2013, 09:37 AM
so done a bit of reading and decided to put the green bowls in the micro wave as they have been drying for about 2 months and i want to finish them :D so i put the microwave on defrost mode and been doing about 10min passes done it 4 times now. so how do i know if it is actually dry?

jgilfor
6th March 2013, 09:56 AM
Weight the bowls before and after microwaving (after cool down). If the weight is stable (doesn't change), then it's dry.

Cliff Rogers
6th March 2013, 09:56 AM
Weight.

You should weigh it before you start & after each blast in the death ray machine.

When it stops loosing weight, it is dry.

Cliff Rogers
6th March 2013, 10:03 AM
Snap, beat me by seconds. :2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th March 2013, 10:32 AM
If you don't have suitable scales, a less accurate method is to seal it in a glad bag before putting it in the microwave.

The bag won't puff up as much when nearly dry and, more importantly, there'll be noticeably less condensation on the inside. I've never tried "going all the way" with this method and trying for a dry bag... 'cos IMHO that's pushing my luck. :rolleyes:

(It's an experiment I've been meaning to perform, but not until I can locate a cheap microwave just for the shed. I like eating... )

mat_au
6th March 2013, 10:44 AM
crap i knew i forgot something

Cliff Rogers
6th March 2013, 10:53 AM
I can tell you that if you go too far, the timber starts to crack & eventually it will char & ignite.

powderpost
6th March 2013, 11:01 AM
Microwaving will also seriously discourage any insect eggs from hatching, or any insects from getting any older.
Jim

Phily
6th March 2013, 09:30 PM
A hint for first timers using a microwave, make sure your timber is reasonably dry and the rims not too thin. You should have seen the warping of my first attempt -made a very interesting shaped block of firewood !

Mobyturns
6th March 2013, 10:05 PM
As Cliff says beware of the charing. There have been reports of solid blanks smouldering away a long time after being set aside from the microwaving process. Well worth being mindfull of even if we are not sure if they are wood turners myths or not.

mat_au
6th March 2013, 10:45 PM
will do im leaving my walls about 20mm thick atm