PDA

View Full Version : She's wet

Daddles
23rd April 2005, 07:19 PM
I launched Redback today. Spent nearly two hours rowing around, most of that against the current - stiff shoulders and arms.

But the little brute floats. Bit cramped. The standard rowlocks are in the wrong place for single rowing as you can see in the photos. Dean's Mouseboat left it behind, even considering he's half my size and using oars that are two foot shorter than mine. But still, she'll be a useful little workhorse. :D

That dog - yep, waited an hour and a bit and then decided to walk on water. Hah. Hit with a splash then turned and paddled frantically for the boat. :rolleyes:

Now all I have to do is finish the mast and spars ... oh, and the dagger board and the rudder and rig it all and ... dammit, I need a beer :D

Cheers
Richard

Wild Dingo
23rd April 2005, 08:05 PM
Well done skippa! ;)

love the first mate and I see hes/shes been trained really well and is already checkin out the fishin! :cool:

mmm can see wee widdle boats races comin up! :p

bitingmidge
23rd April 2005, 11:17 PM
Congratulations Richard!!

Can't wait to see her sailing!

cheers,

P

Gumby
24th April 2005, 08:52 AM
That must have been a very satisfying day - congrats. ;)

Cliff Rogers
24th April 2005, 05:19 PM
Good one.

2 things to check on....

1. Some one pinched ya motor.

2. The navigator needs a haircut.

Have fun. :D

graemet
24th April 2005, 09:46 PM
Hurry up with that mast and sail. Richard. Rowing loses its novelty very quickly. If God had meant us to row, he wouldn't have made wind.
Cheers
Graeme

echnidna
24th April 2005, 10:13 PM
If God had meant us to row, he wouldn't have made wind.
Cheers
Graeme

Whatta opportunity - and me minds all blank.
(as usual)
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

STEPHEN MILLER
25th April 2005, 02:43 PM
Good on Ya Daddles looks good. Exersise will do you good ! Was rowing around in barker inlet Sat night 3 knot tide gets you places in hurry if you happen to want to go with it :D
First Mate needs to wag tail faster to provide more propulsion

If god had ment boats to be made from fibreglass he would have invented fibreglass trees :rolleyes:

graemet
25th April 2005, 06:04 PM
Whatta opportunity - and me minds all blank.
(as usual)
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D What's the matter, Bob.
I thought of you just after I posted. The rest of you are pretty slow as well!
Cheers,
Graeme

echnidna
25th April 2005, 08:22 PM
At least I recognised the opportunity, the others obviously didn't

Christopha
29th April 2005, 05:03 PM
As inboard motors go, that is one horribly ugly one.... or is it just a large lump of pig iron for ballast?

GOODONYAMATE! she will look good at Goolwa........

Zed
29th April 2005, 05:47 PM
daddles I hope you dont put pictures of yourself on the front cover of your books.... that would scare the crap out of me.... :D

that one ugly dog too. see gents... what did I say about the crow eaters ? thats EXACTLY the type of yapster that should be avoided!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

nice boat but - wy is it tub shaped ? and why blue ? any particular reasons for the design / colour scheme ? (not critisisms... real questions..) what sort of timber do you use for a boat like that ?

Daddles
29th April 2005, 07:18 PM
daddles I hope you dont put pictures of yourself on the front cover of your books.... that would scare the crap out of me.... :D

**blown raspberry smilie**

that one ugly dog too. see gents... what did I say about the crow eaters ? thats EXACTLY the type of yapster that should be avoided!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

He's hairy. He's cute. Wimmen luv him. :D

nice boat but - wy is it tub shaped ? and why blue ? any particular reasons for the design / colour scheme ? (not critisisms... real questions..) what sort of timber do you use for a boat like that ?

It's tub shaped because it's hard to be anything else when you are only 7'3" long. Man is she a tub. Too ruddy tubby really. And a lot of sheer on her.
Blue? - coz it's nice, coz my little princess likes it, but mostly because I had half a tin of blue left over from painting the twelve footer. :D Similarly, the hull is a sort of dirty beigy light tanny sort of colour, chosen by going to the remainders counter at Bunnies and finding this pot of the right kind of paint that someone had had mixed but didn't like ... at half price :D

The design was chosen because I could put it in the back of the Tarago and close the door ... so, of course, soon after I started building it, I sold the Tarago. :rolleyes: The boat travels around on a trailer behind the Falcon. It is too small, something that isn't helped by the design location of the rowlocks being out by a good six inches :( ... and I can't shift them because they'd wind up in a gap on the inwales. :( Still, it'll do until I get something else on the water.

The boat was made out of marine ply with oregon bits and pieces here and there. I originally bought gaboon but it was overpriced crap so the top plank is hoop pine - heavier but a much better plywood. From the word go, I knew that I wasn't a good enough workman to have huge amounts of brightwork and so I built her planning to paint the lot. I wanted off white of some sort to hide the marks and dirt. After seeing the whole boat painted, I realised I needed paint both on the gunwale plus the inwale, mainly because she's so tubby - it needed the colour inside to break it down a bit and that sort of prevented just putting a stripe along the top plank.

But the piece-de-resistance (however you spell it), is the transom - I'm rather proud of that.

Cheers
Richard

Bob Willson
30th April 2005, 01:51 AM
Damn! This thread isn't what I thought it would be about at all. :(