PDA

View Full Version : Skirting boards on stairs

Curio
24th April 2005, 12:53 PM
I am new to woodwork so please excuse any incorrect use of jargon...
The project is to complete the second fix of our new home. I have seen a number of ways in which skirting boards are used on and around stairs, and am not sure how handle the junction between the skirts of the upstairs hall and the stair treads. Alot of display homes do'nt use any at all these days!
I have some gaps to cover up and was thinking of using quod with a rectangular profile to go up next to the raiser (the stairs will carpeted later)
Any ideas and/or advice would be great.

journeyman Mick
24th April 2005, 02:24 PM
Curio,
G'day and welcome to the board. Are you running skirting up the stairs or just stopping it at the stairs, it wasn't clear from your question. If so is it the same profile skirting as used elsewhere. PS, Quad = quarter round, if you are using rectangular profile it would just be referred to by its dimensions, ie: 32 x 12, 42 x 12 etc. If you have a rectangular piece with a quarter round on it it would be 30 x 12 Bn or 42 x 12 Bn (Bn for Bullnose, although strictly speaking a bullnose is a half round profile).

Mick

Island Nomad
26th April 2005, 07:40 PM
It is normal practice to finish the skirting at the top at the stair stringer with a stop mitre. At the bottom you would normally just butt into the stringer. If you have a gap between stair stringer and wall just no more gap it, it looks neater. If the gap's too big then a small quad or half by half is OK.