PDA

View Full Version : Just a few twiddles.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
10th March 2013, 05:55 PM
Just to show that I haven't been sitting on my keister and am finally getting the new workshop up to speed, here's a few pix of my latest fiddling on the lathe.

The first couple are of a ringed goblet I turned from a bit of Silky Oak salvaged from the kerb after one of the recent nasty wind storms thru the area. I was playing around trying a few different ideas for light tents when I realised: I'm not a photographer... why play at being one? So no apologies for pic quality. :p

The last ones are a small lidded box I quickly knocked up from assorted scraps in my firewood pile; a piece of Yellow Box with a River Redgum lid.

edit: Dammit! I didn't look at the pix before I UL'd 'em. And then I realised I hadn't placed the lid on properly before clicking away. Hence the finial seems to be skew whiff. It ain't... it's my photography that's skew whiff. :rolleyes:

dr4g0nfly
10th March 2013, 07:45 PM
I like the goblet design, the strong step out to the base from the stem rather caught me but the captive rings need that to look comfortable.

The Lidded box is very UFO looking. Nice work from the scraps box though.

hughie
10th March 2013, 07:53 PM
Skew, good see your back in action. A fine looking pair :2tsup: But the silky oak would be my favourite.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
10th March 2013, 09:00 PM
Thank you for the kind words. :D It's good to get the shed firing up again.

I like the goblet design, the strong step out to the base from the stem rather caught me but the captive rings need that to look comfortable.

:yes: I usually use that step to 'pose' a captive ring on when on display. Don't know why I didn't this time. Oddly enough, it usually also makes the goblet more comfortable in the hand. Well... for me, anyway.

powderpost
10th March 2013, 09:35 PM
Nice work Skew, I like them both.
Jim

tea lady
10th March 2013, 10:22 PM
Good to see making happening. ::2tsup:

wheelinround
10th March 2013, 10:25 PM
Skew we know by the way the photos lean to the left you are from Vic.

Well done all look good.

TTIT
10th March 2013, 11:01 PM
Crikey! First we've gotta get upside-down to read his signature and now he wants us to lay down to view his turnings :o:o Bloody Canucks!!! :;

Good to see some production from you again Skew - nice work :U

hughie
11th March 2013, 08:15 AM
Crikey! First we've gotta get upside-down to read his signature and now he wants us to lay down to view his turnings :o:o Bloody Canucks!!! :;

Good to see some production from you again Skew - nice work :U

Yeah damn foreigners :D

artme
11th March 2013, 10:57 AM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:For the great work!

and bleeeh for the cricked neck I now have!

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th March 2013, 12:44 PM
Let me guess... all you blokes have your lathe beds running vertically nowadays? :innocent:

smiife
11th March 2013, 07:20 PM
Let me guess... all you blokes have your lathe beds running vertically nowadays? :innocent:

hi skew,
nah,.......... we just take the photos round the right way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:roll::roll::roll:
good work by the way:cool:
cheers smiife:2tsup:

Christos
13th March 2013, 07:27 PM
I like the goblet. The box reminds me of my UFO days. :U