PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take a Burl to grow?

cava
11th March 2013, 09:25 PM
As the title asks, how long does it take a burl to grow?

The reasoning behind this is that I have a 13 year old Tasmanian Gum (Dwarf Variety) that has numerous small burls on it circa 50 mm diameter. If it would take another 10 years to grow productive burls, I would leave it.

However, if it takes longer than that, I would seriously consider removing it over the next few years for firewood etc.

Any ideas?

TTIT
11th March 2013, 10:21 PM
Pretty hard to say for sure but from my observations, resin burls add as much material to their surface each year as the tree itself while birdseye burls are quite a bit slower as the growth is usually more compact than the timber in the tree - IMHO :U
I'm sure somebody else here will have something more definitive :shrug:

Willy Nelson
12th March 2013, 12:37 AM
Only takes me a few seconds to smite thy burl with thy trust 660.

Okay, had my fun, to answer your question,it will all depend on the seasons, the growth is dependent upon water, light nutrient etc. I suggest monitor the tree for a year or two, then make a decision

Willy
Jarrahland

hughie
12th March 2013, 08:04 AM
Pretty hard to say for sure but from my observations, resin burls add as much material to their surface each year as the tree itself while birdseye burls are quite a bit slower as the growth is usually more compact than the timber in the tree - IMHO :U
I'm sure somebody else here will have something more definitive :shrug:

Yep I would go along with this. I have a couple of resinous burls growing not far from me. The tree is about 150 mm dia burl is close to 400 mm in about 5 years. There a couple on some Norfolk pines that look like flat warts and they have been there for years 10-15 at least.