PDA

View Full Version : Hi im new!

surge82
12th March 2013, 10:47 AM
HI all,

Hey my name is Sergio and i am from sydney, and im just getting into wood turning. I purchased a Carba Tec economy mini lathe two weeks ago and i cant get away from it, here is a picture of my lathe, and a few of the projects that i have already made, a big thanks to bassmansimon for getting me into wood turning!!

Christos
12th March 2013, 12:10 PM
Welcome to the forum. It can be quite enjoyable when making something.

tdrumnut
12th March 2013, 12:24 PM
Gidday Sergio welcome to the forum, enjoy your stay.

Rumnut

pommyphil
12th March 2013, 12:53 PM
Welcome :) Watch 's Safety videos, learn to sharpen, and keep practicing

Phil.

Drillit
12th March 2013, 01:46 PM
Hello Sergio,
Well done first-up. You will no doubt continue to improve, become obsessive/compulsive about wood left on verges,
have a keen ear for a nearby chainsaw - more wood and accumulate many tools over a period of time. I agree that
's videos are very instructive as is the help you will get on this Forum. My only other comments are that
you join a woodturning group and take some formal lessons. In relation to the latter, Trend Timbers at Mulgrave, for one,
provide good teaching through John Ewart. While John is a good friend, I have no commercial interest with
Trend. They have a website. Drillit.

smiife
12th March 2013, 07:45 PM
hi sergio,

WARNING ...WOOD TURNING IS ADDICTIVE
BE CAREFUL YOU COULD GET HOOKED
just joking :U
welcome to the forum
cheers smiife:2tsup:

mkypenturner
12th March 2013, 11:11 PM
hi and welcome to the forum and the addiction nice work , pratice pratice pratice we all gotta do that

dr4g0nfly
13th March 2013, 07:55 AM
We all started where you are, looking forward to the future pics of your work as you develop.

TTIT
13th March 2013, 09:59 PM
Good to have you aboard Sergio :cool: Soak up as much as you can from this forum and you'll be turning out masterpieces in no time :; :U

surge82
14th March 2013, 11:48 AM
Thanks for all the comments made me feel really welcome :D:D looking forward to sharing my work with you all !

bassmansimon
14th March 2013, 05:58 PM
My only other comments are that you join a woodturning group and take some formal lessons. In relation to the latter, Trend Timbers at Mulgrave, for one, provide good teaching through John Ewart. While John is a good friend, I have no commercial interest with Trend. They have a website. Drillit.

Hey Sergio. Finally you joined! :q

I agree with Drillit - I did the first woodturning weekend session with John Ewart at Trend Timbers. Not cheap, but a whole weekend on the tools is heaps of fun and it's great to have a professional turner watch what you do, and show you what you're doing wrong. No DVD can point out that you are standing in the wrong position etc. Plus by the end of the weekend you get a bowl! Check it out here (http://www.trendtimbers.com.au/wood-turning-classes.html).

Simon

chuck1
14th March 2013, 07:16 PM
hi there! may all your drinks at the lathe have shaving in them! I have learnt to enjoy it! :)

bassmansimon
14th March 2013, 08:16 PM
hi there! may all your drinks at the lathe have shaving in them! I have learnt to enjoy it! :)

haha so true!! Mobile phones and other fragile items often get buried under a layer of shavings and dust on my bench

artme
14th March 2013, 08:43 PM
G'day Sergio and welcome to the most wonderful of all addictions!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Great first up efforts!:):):)

Don''t forget the best wood is free wood!:D

dr4g0nfly
15th March 2013, 07:49 AM

Ah Com'on, I used to have this problem, but one of the first things I turned was a lid to fit my coffee cup and keep the shavings outside!

Nai84
15th March 2013, 08:51 PM
Welcome mate and this forum is awesome and u have some nice pieces there mate ;-)

Ian