PDA

View Full Version : Triton respirator electrics

AlexS
13th March 2013, 08:12 AM
Posted on behalf of JOW104, who is having posting problems at the moment.

Triton respirator electrics.

Respirator repair electrics : General Woodworking - UKworkshop.co.uk (http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/respirator-repair-electrics-t68871.html)

Please forgive the the link but I could not post photographs here since the new forum set up.

Anyone done a retro fit of this electric system?

damian
13th March 2013, 12:36 PM
They use a tagged D cell. You can get them from jaycar apart from other places at reasonable prices. Origionally nicad nimh will do but the flow rate will be up. In theory that will chew filters faster but IMO no bad thing. It's a simple job to fit the new batteries.

D Size 9000mAH Rechargeable Battery - Solder Tag - Jaycar Electronics (http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=SB2462)

or got to jaycar and search SB2462. That's the nimh and they are now $23 each, you need 2. Looks like they don't list the nicads anymore. Possibly try one of the non chain electronics supply places or a laptop battery repacker. Jaycar have sub C in nicad for a lot less but they won't last as long on a charge:

Jaycar Electronics - Search Results for sub c rechargable nicad (http://search.jaycar.com.au/search?w=sub%20c%20rechargable%20nicad&view=list)

and nimh for the same $.

ebay list nicads but untaged which is a bother for most people, soldering on the tags. or...

D Size 9000mAH Rechargeable Battery - Solder Tag | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/D-Size-9000mAH-Rechargeable-Battery-Solder-Tag-/310402959662?pt=AU_Electronics_Batteries_Chargers&hash=item484575492e)

An external battery pack is easy enough but it'd be a bother in the workshop imo.

Options, you have options :)

A Duke
13th March 2013, 12:42 PM
You need 5 D cells.
Regards

AlexS
13th March 2013, 07:04 PM
Again, posting for JOW 104.

Thanks all for your help, I will investigate sources here in the UK.
I purchased the respirator from Bunnings at Lismore many years ago.

Replacement batteries were fitted for me in the UK but do not last long. Perhaps the bottom filter is clogged and it drains the power?

Is it washable or could I tear off the filter from frame and put on a substitute, is it just a fibre glass membrane?.

jow104
14th March 2013, 08:20 PM
I have finally been able to post at this forum myself. I had to change browser to Chrome, i/e9 would not let me post. (error messages)

OK I think I have solved the problem, it that battery memory problem. I had not used the respirator for the past six months (shutdown over winter here in the UK) and I charged up the battery for the 15 hours and got the 4 hours use before it started failing.

Over the past couple of years I had got into the habit of recharging after perhaps a couple of hours use, but that battery memory problem obviously was kicking in so now I must drain the batteries each time and then recharge for 15 hours overnight.

Unless someone in Oz has got a Triton respirator secondhand that they can sell me with that battery/motor compartment in working order.

I have friends visiting me in the UK later this year so transport might not be a problem.

Please pm me if you can help.

john.

damian
19th March 2013, 09:04 PM
You need 5 D cells.
Regards

Ah. I hadn't noticed the others. Sorry.

Hm. Well you could solder tags onto some std d cell rechargeables. Or use high output sub c nimh batteries. They might last ok.

If I get time I'll poke around radio spares, farnell, mouser etc and see if anyone has cheap ones. Too late now, bed time soon.

jow104
19th March 2013, 09:18 PM
Damian, thanks for your help, however another forum member has a redundant Triton respirator and is getting off the power pack to me in the UK today via friends in Sydney who are coming to the uk very shortly.
I have located some tagged batteries in the UK which are the same size and capacity so I shall then have two power packs and then be able to run a pack out and restart using the second pack. This should then avoid the memory charging problem that these units seem to suffer from.

damian
21st March 2013, 10:01 AM
Damian, thanks for your help, however another forum member has a redundant Triton respirator and is getting off the power pack to me in the UK today via friends in Sydney who are coming to the uk very shortly.
I have located some tagged batteries in the UK which are the same size and capacity so I shall then have two power packs and then be able to run a pack out and restart using the second pack. This should then avoid the memory charging problem that these units seem to suffer from.

farnell are now called element 14 or something. Sigh. Gotta love marketing.

1DH4-0T - YUASA - BATTERY, NICAD, 1D, 4AH | element14 Australia (http://au.element14.com/yuasa/1dh4-0t/battery-nicad-1d-4ah/dp/1863685)

$8.70 each for 5.

This is the australian price. RS and them are both in the uk, or were last time I looked. Mouser are usa. Worth a look for good prices. They do a lot of mail order but do counter sales as well so if they have a warehouse near you you can save delivery charges.

Sorry bit busy right now don't have time to look further. If you get stuck shout...

jow104
21st March 2013, 06:49 PM
Thanks Damian, that is a good price. Best uk price so far is about £9 each around $15.

I shall investigate further perhaps ebay might produce something.

damian
26th March 2013, 02:13 PM
1DH4-0T - YUASA - BATTERY, NICAD, 1D, 4AH | Farnell United Kingdom (http://uk.farnell.com/yuasa/1dh4-0t/battery-nicad-1d-4ah/dp/1863685?Ntt=yuasa+1d)

how about 3.74 ?

they are in britain but depending on your location may be cheaper to pay delivery.

jow104
26th March 2013, 06:25 PM
Thanks Damian, that is a good price and I suppose ni.cad battery will not make any difference, have to check charger and capacity.

Pleased to report that the spare respirator motor compartment that has been given to me by Graham in Perth arrived safely in Sydney today and should be on its onward journey to the UK this coming Easter weekend.

Its a different world these days with the internet!

damian
31st March 2013, 10:38 AM
The origionals are nicads. You can get higher capacity but the main diff with nimh is no memory effect.

jow104
31st March 2013, 05:39 PM
The cads only lasted three hours, so the nimh may be a bit of a problem then, I'm going to need to use a respirator regularly from now on or desert the workshop me thinks.

jow104
2nd April 2013, 06:26 PM
Pleased to report that the respirator motor and battery compartment given by Graham and brought by inlaws of Wongo arrived in the UK over the weekend. The marvels of the 21st century and the internet.

Thanks again to all.