PDA

View Full Version : Camphor Laurel

MAPLEMAN
13th March 2013, 09:14 PM
Milled a small butt log of Camphor Laurel for a client today,was gobsmacked at the colour and grain pattern...not milled much of it in the past,but i can see why people like it..really pretty stuff...i think it is destined for the local mens shed..:2tsup:

Scott
13th March 2013, 09:41 PM
I dislike you northerners immensely.

MAPLEMAN
13th March 2013, 10:23 PM
Just wondering Scott,does it grow down your way?...in mean,if it grows in China,you'd think it would do o.k down in your neck of the woods...MM :2tsup:.

MAPLEMAN
14th March 2013, 12:08 AM
Few more pics..:2tsup:

Willy Nelson
14th March 2013, 12:21 AM
I am positive I have seen lots of Camphor in Melbourne years ago when I was unlucky enough to live there
Willy
Jarrahland

I dislike you northerners immensely.

MAPLEMAN
14th March 2013, 12:37 AM
I am positive I have seen lots of Camphor in Melbourne years ago when I was unlucky enough to live there
Willy
JarrahlandPerth is one beautifull city..in fact,Western Australia is gods country..absolutely stunning place..your very lucky Willy,wish i was living there!...MM :2tsup:

Scott
14th March 2013, 07:39 AM
Just wondering Scott,does it grow down your way?...in mean,if it grows in China,you'd think it would do o.k down in your neck of the woods...MM :2tsup:.

No, never seen on leaf.

Willy Nelson
14th March 2013, 08:36 AM
Just did a quick search of Google, this is what I found

Cinnamomum camphoraCamphor LaurelCinnamomum camphora has been widely used throughout the inner-eastern suburbs of Melbourne because of its evergreen habit, ability to tolerate many soil types, and restricted size in the streetscape. Camphor Laurel trees can become up to 20m tall, as seen at the Royal Botanic Gardens, but typically, they are 6-8m trees on nature strips.
C. camphora originates in south-eastern Asia, and thrives in hot, moist conditions. In Melbourne, it grows relatively slowly and fruits little, whereas in Sydney it is a fast-growing, invasive weed species.
This tree is elegant for most of the year, although in Melbourne, it will become somewhat chlorotic in the colder weather. Its root system can be somewhat invasive, and probably should not be planted close to services or buildings. Many of the Camphor Laurels in Melbourne are 20 years + in age, and show good aging characters, although many have poor form resulting from poor early formative pruning.
Because of its usefulness as an in-fill tree for existing streetscapes, MTG are producing well-pruned, vigorous Camphor Laurels for the Melbourne market.

wheelinround
14th March 2013, 09:06 AM
Few more pics..:2tsup:

Oh Chris :devil: your not nice teasing like this you know the Mexicans can't take having this sort of timber on display and not getting any.

shedbound
14th March 2013, 09:37 AM
I have some camphor laurel from Victoria, it smells the part but has no color.

Willy Nelson
14th March 2013, 04:18 PM
IMO same here in WA, I don't think the trees gets enough water. Although there is a massive CL in Kings Park, might have to petition them to get rid of it as a weed. Oh yeah, I can help

Willy

I have some camphor laurel from Victoria, it smells the part but has no color.

artme
14th March 2013, 09:26 PM
More pain for we viewers, eh MM???:D

It is indeed beautiful grain!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

MAPLEMAN
14th March 2013, 09:34 PM
More pain for we viewers, eh MM???:D

It is indeed beautiful grain!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:Make pain your friend Artme :D..MM:2tsup:

Scott
14th March 2013, 09:48 PM
Oh Chris :devil: your not nice teasing like this you know the Mexicans can't take having this sort of timber on display and not getting any.

Okay, where's my "hate this" button?

Cliff Rogers
14th March 2013, 10:35 PM
Two things....

1. Do you have some dimensions?

2. Don't, what ever you do, try to & sell that rubbish will you? :wink:

MAPLEMAN
14th March 2013, 10:58 PM
Two things....

1. Do you have some dimensions?

2. Don't, what ever you do, try to & sell that rubbish will you? :wink:1) The smallest one is 10 metres long x 20 metres wide x 5 metres thick(much bigger than it looks)..2).The mens shed are going to use 'em for kindling at their next B.B.Q...MM :D

Bob Wemm
14th March 2013, 11:40 PM
I acquired some Camphor from a street tree just south of Adelaide, a few months ago. There are some lovely shades of pink and red in some of it and one piece has a trace of green. The tree was about 18in diameter, and was not for sale.

Bob.