PDA

View Full Version : Supercheap Auto SCA Lathe

Sparhawk
14th March 2013, 03:59 PM
At the start of the month I spotted these in store :?, do I attach a lump of wood onto wheel rim?:
Wood Late Chisesl (http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/SCA-Wood-Lathe-Chisels-5-Piece-set.aspx?pid=326669#Cross)
http://media.supercheapauto.com.au/sca/images/326669.jpg
They are now on special with this (http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Rockwell-Lathe-Wood.aspx?pid=326554#Cross) all for $169:
http://media.supercheapauto.com.au/sca/images/326554.jpg

Mulgabill
14th March 2013, 04:49 PM
On special!!!:o

Save your money. I am not usually a snob when it comes to woodturning equipment, however, I consider this package as a waste of coin.
The lathe is under-powered and the tailstock is too lightweight to be stable and will flex. :~
The chisels that I have seen are very low-end carbon steel and I have seen one snap while a novice was turning and had a "catch".:o

If you persevere, and after a couple of months, if you are bitten by the turning bug, you will find it difficult to up-grade any components to do any serious turning.

Check out eBay and Gumtree and you will find plenty of them to choose from.

Chesand
14th March 2013, 05:04 PM
I would agree with Russell. You get what you pay for.

Colin62
14th March 2013, 05:17 PM
If you look closely at the tailstock in the pic, you can see that it's not aligned, and that's before it's even seen a bit of use.

Tim the Timber Turner
14th March 2013, 08:40 PM
I would agree with Russell. You get what you pay for.

I dunno:?.

It "looks" like a lathe!!!!:whistling:

Cheers

Tim:)

artme
14th March 2013, 08:52 PM
It's all shyte!!!!

Young fellow I know who is keen to get into turning bought himself a set of those chisels.

Only one problem - he didn't talk to me first!!:no::no:

ian thorn
14th March 2013, 09:48 PM
I wouldnt touch it with a barge poll as said a waste of money and you can buy a good second hand one for about that much ask around the clubs or better still join one but please keep on looking dont give up its a great hobby

Ian

issatree
15th March 2013, 01:46 AM
Hi Sparhawk,
I could possibly find you an older " Tough " Lathe, that was most likely a Lathe from a School.
Lathes from Schools, never did very much work.
I don't think it has a Motor or a Stand, & he was asking $475, & in the Geelong Area.
Also may have another " Tough " with quite a bit of Gear to go with it, GC, but I don't know it's Price, although wood be much dearer than the 1st. one, also in the Geelong, Vic. Area.
PM me.

Paul39
15th March 2013, 05:14 AM
At the start of the month I spotted these in store :?, do I attach a lump of wood onto wheel rim?:
Wood Late Chisesl (http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/SCA-Wood-Lathe-Chisels-5-Piece-set.aspx?pid=326669#Cross) They are now on special with this (http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Rockwell-Lathe-Wood.aspx?pid=326554#Cross) all for $169:

I have two of those lathes, one was given to me, the other was $10.00. They are worth what I paid for them. They make decent disk sanders.

As lathes; they vibrate, the bed of thin tubing flexes, the tailstock will break if you look at it funny, the slow speed is a bit fast for bowls.

Any lathe with a square tube bed, including my $2000 made in Germany Hegner flexes and vibrates. When I bought it I did not know any better. As I paid $500 for it, a big bench, an 8 inch 1725 rpm grinder, Oneway tail live center set, and Wolverine grinding jigs, I do not feel misused.

The tools would be useful for small things, they are carbon steel and need frequent sharpening, if overstressed they will bend, and / or break off at the tang. For $10 - $15 they are worth having to grind into specially shaped tools - for cutting spigots or recesses for bowls. I have a set bought at auction in a box of stuff for the above price.

They do work, but you will soon desire better ones that keep an edge longer and have larger more comfortable handles. The handles are small and can cause cramping if used a long time. They are also short, which makes them hard to control.

Joining a men's shed and getting some practice with a decent lathe and tools will guide you to what to buy.

Sparhawk
15th March 2013, 01:17 PM
Sorry Guys, wasn't advocating a purchase, just more interested that Super Cheap AUTO is selling woodworking tools (not just power tools).

I already have a cheap eBay lathe, and a set of Chisels, which cost more than the lathe.

tea lady
15th March 2013, 01:42 PM
I wouldn't be turning a bit of wood that big in that lathe either. :dunce:

Good you have an alternative already. :cool:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th March 2013, 04:09 PM
Huh. There's nothing wrong with those things... gone through one or two myself. All they need is a little 'tweaking.'

1. unbolt everything from the RH side of the headstock & throw it in the recycling bin.
2. bolt the headstock to a bench and fit the faceplate.
3. throw everything else in the recycling bin. "Bonus" chisels and all.

Source some large disks of velcro backed sanding paper, some velcro and fix a suitably sized disk of good quality ply to the faceplate.

Job done!

Mind you, it's far cheaper to buy them on ebay from people who foolishly bought them as "lathes" and not "linishers"... :whistling2:

Mobyturns
20th March 2013, 08:46 AM
A prime example of price point marketing, to sell hundreds of thousands of low quality units to the unsuspecting and ill informed buying public in a price bracket. One would have to wonder about the sellers legal liability risk mitigation planning though. Surely there have been many persons injured using these as lathes.

I really feel for the many retirees etc who have been gifted one of these clones. But if you know the risks and have the skills to modify one you could probably make some reasonable quality pieces on one, but then if you had that skill you wouldn't buy one! Also a prime example of having to have considerable skill and knowledge to be able to use one safely or even understand the hazards and risks they present.

chuck1
23rd March 2013, 09:35 AM
I have one under a tarp in the driveway the reason ive got it, the 4 P&N gouges and skews I was given for removing lathe! other wise I would never own one again! the first one was bought for me at age 16 and have a few scars from it!