PDA

View Full Version : Hagglunds anyone?

Michael G
16th March 2013, 04:31 PM
The main contactor in my mill has gone toes up (coil is open circuit). It is a Hagglunds (Sweden) unit, but I can't find any reference to them on the web - all I can find is a hydraulics company attached to Rexroth.
Anyone know of them and how to find replacements?

Michael

NCArcher
16th March 2013, 05:31 PM
Just replace it with a modern equivalent from any electrical wholesaler. Or if you're not confident, have your local sparky do it.
You could re-use the thermal overload but I would get a new one of them as well. They should have both on the shelf

Brobdingnagian
16th March 2013, 06:15 PM
I agree just replace with another 10A AC3 contactor. Make you the one you get that has the right coil voltage and a NO auxiliary contacts and a ThermalOverLoad(TOL) to suit the contactor or change the breaker to an MCB.

I could suggest a combo if you like.

Greg Q
16th March 2013, 07:39 PM
WRT contactors, I have been converted by Josh to believe in the merits of low voltage units. I have purchased three 24v units on ebay for my upcoming projects. From my salvage pile I have both 415v and 240v coil contactors Michael.

Yours for the asking.

Greg

Michael G
16th March 2013, 09:17 PM
I was hoping that someone could tell me that parts are available but the maker was now under a different name - it seems a waste to have to change the whole thing just for a coil. Putting in a new contactor was plan B.

Low voltage would be nice but there is no room for a transformer and below the contactor pictured are overload relays for the coolant pump and feed motor. (Off to the right are 8 milk bottle fuses for various functions - the cast box this all sits in is very nicely laid out, but there is not any extra space). Doing control circuits at line voltage keeps you thinking (and checking) at least.

Greg, if you have a spare 415V contactor that you think might be suitable needing a good home that would be much appreciated. (Found that box yet?)

Michael

Greg Q
16th March 2013, 09:20 PM
MG...allow me to report back in the morning.
GQ

Greg Q
17th March 2013, 08:46 AM
Michael...i found the box the other day up on the high shelf behind some useless junk which isn't yet old enough to discard. :-

So then, I will post to you tomorrow a nice Allen Bradley contactor which should fit your needs. I have 10A and 6A c/b and DIN rail if you need some too.

As I write I am laying out the contents of the control cabinet for the Deckel so that the sparky* can connect all the dots. The previous owner had abandoned the perished switches for the simple power point control technique.

*:rolleyes:

Michael G
17th March 2013, 12:03 PM
Thanks Greg
I had a similar issue with the CVA - a previous "restorer" had kindly stripped out all the control wiring so that I had to reinvent all of that. The power stuff was all there (although with 415 control wiring is there any difference?) but it took a while to work out what on earth* had to go there.
This is the mill box - very neat for a space 280x460mm. Those Swedes do nice work. There is no DIN rail in there but if the contactor can not be directly mounted a short piece would be appreciated.

Michael

*And there was no electrical earth either.

Greg Q
17th March 2013, 12:12 PM
Looks like a very hygenic installation. I will send you a small piece of rail, its just more elegant.

Both of my Deckels had the earth wire cut or missing. There's not much you can say in the face of such profound stupidity.

Michael...can you PM your address please?

GQ