PDA

View Full Version : Jarrah table for bedroom TV & VCR

Rocker
26th April 2005, 12:45 PM
Here is a jarrah TV table I made for a client who is a friend, and who therefore got mate's rates. The materials cost about $150, and it probably took me about 16 hours, so a fair commercial price should be $600, or more, but I doubt if many people would be willing to pay that amount for a relatively simple table. That is why it would be really hard to make your living as a custom cabinetmaker. Luckily I just enjoy making furniture as a hobby.

Rocker

aussieglen
26th April 2005, 12:57 PM
Great job Rocker - how was it finished?

Aussieglen

Rocker
26th April 2005, 01:24 PM
Aussieglen,

I know Major will be after me about this, but I have to confess it was three coats of gloss polyurethane, thinned about 15%. The client asked specifically for a hard-wearing finish.

Rocker

ryanarcher
26th April 2005, 03:45 PM
Rocker,
clean, sophisticated, funcional, classic, and excuisite as usual. I agree about the custom carpenter bit. that's why i have all the more respect for Mick, and Ross (different). They are uncompromising craftsmen who should be aplauded by all. Undoubtedly you have some sleek dovetailed drawer planed, or is the space to be left open? Well done Mate. :D
-Ryan

outback
26th April 2005, 04:12 PM
As usual, a damned fine effort, makes me feel even more inferior.

My only comment, is on the grain direction of the legs, I would have had it so it runs from top outside to bottom inside on both legs, instead of parallel as you have done, if you follow my gist. Not a criticism, just a personal thing.

numbat
26th April 2005, 05:22 PM
Rocker,
Undoubtedly you have some sleek dovetailed drawer planed, or is the space to be left open?
-Ryan
DVD player or a relic such as a VCR perhaps.

Cheers

Rocker
26th April 2005, 05:47 PM
Ryan,
There is no drawer - the opening is for the client's VCR. When I gave her the original design specifications, I specified the opening would be 400 mm wide by 90 mm high, which would have been OK for my own VCR. The client accepted this with no comment. Fortunately, I later got her to check the width of her VCR, and it turned out that it was 430 mm wide, so a disaster was averted.

I have just got back to the air freight people who gave me a quote which I had thought included packing. Now they tell me they no longer do packing, so I shall have to get it packed elsewhere. I shall be lucky to clear $50 on the deal :( Fortunately I like making furniture, but I am no businessman.

Rocker

MajorPanic
26th April 2005, 07:47 PM
Hey Rocker,

Well executed & stylish table http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif

Didn't I tell ya there is on money in custom furniture! :rolleyes:

AlexS
26th April 2005, 10:23 PM
Nice, clean good looking table, Rocker.

For 'mates rates' jobs I sometimes reckon it's best to tell people to pay what they reckon it's worth in red wine. I've never had anyone give an unreasonably small quantity or quality that wouldn't at least cover materials.

Richardwoodhead
27th April 2005, 12:45 AM
Nice design. Beautiful work. And only 16 hours??? Maybe I'm slow but I think that would've taken me much longer.

I've started doing custom furniture work and it's hard to figure out what to charge. I've ended up with a figure of $35 per hour plus wood costs. (This includes overhead for my workshop & machinery, which add's up to a "small fortune" - I used to have a "large fortune" - only I took up woodworking. ) Any opinions? I usually under-bill by using fewer hours than actual, cause I'm not a "fast" worker. I take my time and enjoy making it the best I can. But even so, the finished product can get expensive.

Then I look in the newspapers and see imported furniture at unbelievably low prices. Makes you realise that custom type furniture, made to last, is priced for only a small portion of the furniture market. Luckily I'm not doing this as my sole source of income. Is anyone else out there doing this on a semi-commercial basis? How do you figure prices? How's business?

Richard

Different
27th April 2005, 01:26 AM
Rocker Nice table but it is a pity you had to do a poly finish for your client.
It is a pity clients think they know what is best for them!
Sorry but I am going to briefly hijack the thread as it seems to be heading this way anyhow

What you should charge commercially is
Materials +10 to 20% if it is made of timber you have stored in you workshop for some time to ensure stability. Remember most of us but timber Wholesale and therefore should both Mark up and Value add.
Hours x min $40 and there are a few guys here who could reasonably charge $60 to $70 per hour. Also remember her that design work (and this can simply be creating a unique piece of furniture) should be charged at a higher rate than construction however fine!
Also considder the issue of "Intelectual Property" as related to your designing something "Unique". A Unique object has some inherant value beyond materials, effort, design etc. It has a value in just being Unique and you should charge for it. If you are making a production piece then no but one off jobs of quality YES!
+ Delivery
+Packing
+Freight

Now how much is you table worth?

Ross

Rocker
27th April 2005, 02:22 AM
Outback,

You are quite right about the grain in the legs, but it doesn't look as noticeable IRL as the photo makes it appear. In fact, I had not noticed it until you mentioned it. Actually, the legs are laminated from two pieces of 25 mm thick stock (the join is just visible on the sides of the legs). I would not have done this for a commercial piece, but I don't think my client will mind.

Ross,

The logic of what you have said about pricing is correct, but the resultant final price, say $800 for my table, without freight & packing, means that only discerning and wealthy clients are going to be willing to pay for it. Such people are few and far between in rural QLD. You have many more of them in Sydney, but then your overheads are higher there.

Rocker

outback
27th April 2005, 08:43 AM
Thanks Rocker, wasn't a criticism, just something I noticed.

As to what to charge, I agree it is difficult to arrive at a figure. To charge per hour, plus, plus,plus, means you sell nothing, and have all the costs to keep yourself busy in the shed (at least for the most of us).

Making next to nothing means you will be kept busy, and at least covering your costs. If you are happy with this then that's all that counts. However I bet you now know to allow a bit for packaging. :D

I can't imagine anyone wanting to buy anything I make. Maybe as some form of strange Picasso inspired artform. :D

Richardwoodhead
27th April 2005, 10:44 AM
Ross / Rocker and others, I was wondering about starting a separate thread in "General" using your feedback re pricing. It's a topic of interest to me and might get lots of input. Any thoughts? Maybe it's already been hashed over?

Richard

Rocker
27th April 2005, 12:40 PM
Richard,

The topic was discussed in these threads: http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=15780&page=1&pp=15 , and
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=15620 .

I think Ross has laid out the facts pretty well above. The hard facts are that it is very difficult to compete at the lower end of the market with furniture that is factory-made by low-cost labour overseas; and the top end of the market is very limited, particularly if you are based outside a capital city. I am happy just to make stuff for friends and relatives, and not to get involved in the hassles of trying to make a decent profit.

Rocker

outback
27th April 2005, 04:02 PM
I am happy just to make stuff for friends and relatives, and not to get involved in the hassles of trying to make a decent profit.

An attitude like that will mean you will sleep soundly and get no ulcers. but if that's what you want, well.........:D

mic-d
27th April 2005, 05:19 PM
Lovely table Rocker! Although I'm not in the business of custom furniture manufacturing - not yet anyway :) , I constantly torment myself with what I should be charging clients. At the moment I charge $38.5/hr (min one hour), but you can see that if I were to have a 10hr day on one job, $385 might be considered a bit hefty. I'm tending towards $38.5/hr (min 2hrs) and $250 for an 8hr day. But, for a chemist, I make a good handyman and a bloody lousy businessman. ;) nuf said.
Cheers
Michael

Different
28th April 2005, 12:30 AM
Ross / Rocker and others, I was wondering about starting a separate thread in "General" using your feedback re pricing. It's a topic of interest to me and might get lots of input. Any thoughts? Maybe it's already been hashed over?

Richard
Sure You start the thread and I will stir the pot a bit!

Ross