PDA

View Full Version : Dust extraction

Tiger
26th April 2005, 03:14 PM
I have a dust extraction system that will combine 4 inch PVC piping and 4 inch flexible hose. How do you connect the two together for a reasonable seal? Thanks in advance for any responses.

rod1949
26th April 2005, 04:04 PM
Slip the flexiable over the PVC and clamp with suitable sized pipe clamp.

bitingmidge
26th April 2005, 04:37 PM
Tiger,

I'm guessing you've discovered the PVC pipe and the flexi are exactly the same diameter?

Easiest thing is to use the female end of the pipe and you'll find that it's a loose push fit. Make a couple of saw-cuts parallel with the pipe and a pipe clamp over the PVC will clamp it in.

OR: use a plastic gate fitting at the connection point, fixed to the pvc with silicone (just bog it up, but it will be hard to undo it later!).

OR: cut a ring out of PVC, say 50 - 100mm long (longer is better), and cut all the way through the length, so you can easily expand it. But the PVC and flexduct together and tape, then slip the sleeve over and tape over the lot (or fill it all with silicone if you don't want to undo it ever!

FINALLY: PVC is quite malleable when heated, if you want to muck around a bit, you can heat it with a heat gun and shrink/stretch it within limits. I have thought about making a jig to create female ends in standard lengths, but haven't got around to it yet....after all it'd take about three minutes on the lathe!!

Hope that all makes sense!

Regards,

P
:D

rev
26th April 2005, 05:03 PM
'midge has given you some great tips.

Another idea is to make some sleeves out of sheet metal, say 0.6mm, that fit inside both the pipe and the hose. The fit is snug with the flex and slips into or out from the pvc pipe quite easily.

graemecarson
26th April 2005, 07:40 PM
There is a fitting available from plumbers supplies called a dogbone (cos it looks like one ) If you cut it in half it works as a reducer and the flexi just slips on and can be siliconed or clamped into position. You also get two out of one so they are reasonably economical. :)

graemecarson
26th April 2005, 07:47 PM
There is a fitting available from plumbers supplies called a dogbone (cos it looks like one ) If you cut it in half it works as a reducer and the flexi just slips on and can be siliconed or clamped into position. You also get two out of one so they are reasonably economical. :) I've worked it with both 90 and 100mm poly and 4" flexi. It depends which metric pipe you get as 4" poly. the blokes at most plumbers suppliers seem reasonably helpful. I just played dumb(or is that normal) and told them what i was looking to do and they came up with the dogbone as a solution.

Sturdee
26th April 2005, 07:57 PM
I just played dumb(or is that normal) and told them what i was looking to do and they came up with the dogbone as a solution.

I found that if you told them it was for a home workshop dust extraction system they are very helpfull indeed.

Peter.