PDA

View Full Version : Tall Apple Burr Goblet

dr4g0nfly
19th March 2013, 06:39 AM
I was given a bit of apple branch with some burr. I saw it as the cup of a goblet, so I made this.

The stem and finial are Black walnut although I went through several finials and re-turnings to get the one I liked.

It stands 335mm to the base of the cup, 420mm to the top of the cup, 575mm to the top of the finial and the cup is 110mm across.

So last Sunday was the AWGB AGM, and I managed to get a pass from SWMBO to attend. I put it into the Instant Gallery for the Chairman to judge. He was kind enough to select it as the winning entry. I feel very honoured and slight embarrassed as it was my first attendance and hence first entry.

Comments and Critiques as always please.

RETIRED
19th March 2013, 08:04 AM
Nice work as usual DF but I think the finial overpowers it a bit and should have been a little narrower.

It makes the work look top heavy.

tdrumnut
19th March 2013, 08:51 AM
Wow thats nice

artme
19th March 2013, 09:11 AM
Very nice burl and beautifully turned!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Have to agree with on the finial. I think the finial
could also be shorter.

turnerted
19th March 2013, 04:36 PM
Congratulations. A well deserved win.
Ted

Skew ChiDAMN!!
19th March 2013, 05:03 PM
I was given a bit of apple branch with some burr. I saw it as the cup of a goblet, so I made this.

Ooer! This, I like! Gonna have to add something similar to my 2doQ. :)

Did you run a small cove around the inside lip to seat the lid?

pommyphil
19th March 2013, 05:06 PM
My back veranda is 3.7m wide and after a turning section, say 4pm :rolleyes: I line up shapes on the rail

and, while fending off dehydration,sit back and compare them. I have a box of finials!! kilos :C

Nothing as pretty as this though :2tsup: Phil

dr4g0nfly
19th March 2013, 05:43 PM
As always, thanks for all your comments and thoughts. I think it's important that honest critiques are given to allow us to grow as turners.

, Thanks for your observation, I too think the tear end of the 'bulb' is a little too large, either that or it needs to narrow sooner as it rises. It's good to hear someone else see's it as I do. Maybe I'll have one more go at it sometime in the future.

However if/when I make it slightly slimmer I think the height will sit better in the eye.

Skew, not a cove, a lip. Although in reading your question I can see the wisdom of a cove on slightly green timber. I'll remember that for next time.