PDA

View Full Version : Stewart System

John Saxton
30th October 2000, 08:47 PM
Do any of you folk out there in woodturning land employ the Stewart System or other means to separate a nicely grained crotch of wood or similar veined peice to achieve the maximum from a specially nice and rare piece.
I have seen these systems employed at various meets and am intrigued that in this day of GREEN CONCIOUSNESS that it isn't widely employed to the maximum from the concensus of turners that I come in contact with!

------------------
Johnno

RFNK
1st November 2000, 11:11 PM
I use the Kel McNaughton system; it's excellent. Buy it direct from NZ to save many $s.

Jeff
20th November 2000, 04:44 PM
I also use the Macnaughton system. It works well, tho sometimes on large tough pieces I am tempted to break my no drink/turning rule and have a little Macnoughton whiskey. It is truly gratifying to pocket money for something that I used to have to dump on the compost pile.

------------------
"Turning wood into treasures"

John Saxton
21st November 2000, 12:47 AM
Thanks Rick,Jeff,I almost had the wife convinced to part with the visa once more after seeing the Stewart System demonstrated at a recent Woodturning day, but with a trip coming up to NZ I think I will possibly opt for the Kel McNaughton system as I have also seen this demonstrated and it is impressive to say the least.
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno