PDA

View Full Version : Plans ofr a surf lifesaving wooden boat

TK1
27th April 2005, 12:10 PM
Hi all,

I am hoping to build a model of one of the 'famous' Sydney surf club boats that they use in the races, etc - the wooden ones, four or so oars - and despite a few site son the web showing the boats, I can't find any plans.

So, does anyone know of plans - where I can get them or who builds the realones in Sydney. I'm in Victoria so can't get up there and just need the lines (body, sheer and waterlines) so I can construct a model.

Any help is appreciated! I'm still on the model boats until we finish renovating, then the plan is to extend the garage a bit and build a real boat!

Thanks,

Darren

bitingmidge
27th April 2005, 01:29 PM
I've thought about doing the same myself!

I have a crude set of line drawings from:-

Australian Wooden Boats
Volume One
Classic Small Boats

Published by
The Wooden Boat Association of New South Wales
PO Box 586 Drummoyne NSW 2047

ISBN 0 646 14012 4

The book is still available from the WBA for $20.00 including postage (I finally bought one about a month ago after borrowing the WBAQ's copy on and off for years!).

I'm happy to scan a copy of the relevant pages if you wish, send me a pm with your contact details.

Cheers,

P

TK1
27th April 2005, 03:36 PM
Thanks Midge...have sent you a pm with my contact details.

All I need is a basic line drawing, I should be able to work the rest out from photos.

Regards,

Darren

bitingmidge
28th April 2005, 07:41 PM
For those who don't have a clue what we are talking about, the attached is part of an original plan, from the book mentioned above.

Cheers,

P :D

Beaton
1st June 2005, 05:15 PM
Hey guys might be able to help, I’m member of a surf life saving club in Albany w.a you are talking about the normal surf boats aren’t you. If so try contacting a surf club in vic here is a link to surf life saving Australia, http://www.slsa.asn.au/doc_display.asp?document_id=274

If you have no luck I can try my old man he’s the boat captain in Albany, I now the boat building club in Albany rebuilt on off our after the guys destroyed one in Albany.

bitingmidge
1st June 2005, 05:30 PM
Beaton,

Thanks. I also have some fairly strong ties with SLSCA, and am trying to track down some of the guys that built the wooden boats... so far haven't found one who has hoarded the old plans yet.

If you can track down a set, I'd be happy to cover your copying costs, and I am sure ModelShipwright would also.

In the meantime, the drawings in the book are probably good enough.

Cheers,

P

Beaton
1st June 2005, 05:33 PM
I'll have a word to the old boy :D and see what i comeup with.

TK1
2nd June 2005, 02:26 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the offer Beaton, as Midge said I'd be happy to cover the cost of copying/postage too. I haven't fond any other plans yet. I know the Heritage Fleet in Sydney has a couple of old wooden surf boats, but I haven't had a chance to ask about plans yet.

I would be interested in the dimensions of oars thought, as the websites/pics I've seen haven't had info on them.

Regards,

Darren

OLD SALT
28th July 2006, 06:28 AM
Hi
I have a surf life saving book with fairly detailed plans of a "Tuck Stern"surf boat including dimensions, table of offsets etc. and construction details and would be happy to scan them and send them to you. But as I'm new to this site I'm having a little trouble navigating around it, so may need some help......OLD SALT

Wild Dingo
28th July 2006, 11:47 AM
Gidday old salt... welcome to the board by the way :cool:

Thats a great starter book midge! Funny with that one I received it through the mail from a bloke in Georgia USA awhile back he thought I may be interested :cool: top book... although it does tend to leave one wanting more but thats the nature of that type of design book so no worries (Its where I first learned of Cinema by the way)

Salty.. If you can figure it out Id LOVE a copy of the info you have!

Are the pages large scale on large sheets or on A4? you will probably have to reduce the size of the scans too... do you have Adobe PDF? that would be the best method make a booklet type thing of them and then zap them as you need to may stil be large but everything in one file rather than a number of files.

Either way I for one would appreciate a copy if possible
Cheers!!

bitingmidge
28th July 2006, 03:58 PM
Old Salt,

I too would love a copy, I have sent you a PM (Private Message) Regards,

P

Boatmik
31st July 2006, 02:04 AM
For those who don't have a clue what we are talking about, the attached is part of an original plan, from the book mentioned above.

Cheers,

P :D

Howdy Peter,

Maybe David Payne has a table of offsets at the Aust Maritime Museum.

His work was central to that book being put together - he had collected a lot of the material.

MIK

viking
1st August 2006, 11:25 AM
hi fellas
i bid my apprenticeship with bob miles surfboats in the 80s
the sla should have plans or you could look up bobs widow [died of aspestosis as a result of working as a young bloke with aspestos lagging on the navy ship voyger].
she lives in qld and ithink the boats still are built out af that itchi stuff and not cedar, spruce, ash, like i had the pleasure to play with.
i have realy fond memorys of working with the gentle giant bob.!!!
cheers viking:rolleyes: