PDA

View Full Version : NSW:Swap Bull Oak and Other Aussie Timber For Knife Handles- Swap You Ancient Kauri

SpiritFlutes
23rd March 2013, 06:07 PM
G'day,

A friend of mine in Croatia has taught himself to make knives he is getting quite good too. The knife forums he is on talk a lot about Aussie woods. He is sending me one of his knives in return for some beef wood and sheoak but He's specifically chasing some Bull Oak.

Does anyone have any Bull Oak for trade for Ancient kauri and many more local and imported species I have on offer. Can anyone recommend other aussie woods of interest for knife handles and supply.

I prefer the blanks to be cut 4x4x13 cm if possible

cheers :U

rowie
26th April 2013, 05:48 AM
G'day,

Does anyone have any Bull Oak for trade for Ancient kauri and many more local and imported species I have on offer. Can anyone recommend other aussie woods of interest for knife handles and supply.

cheers :U

I can help you out SpiritFlutes. I have some Bull Oak here. Other woods I would deem suitable and can supply are ringed gidgee, inland rosewood, purple gidgee, brigalow, budgeroo, qld walnut, brown & red lancewood, silver beefwood, hairy oak, brown & red mallee burl, native cherry, figured redgum. Some pre-cut blanks may only be 35mm and some 125mm

SpiritFlutes
26th April 2013, 11:28 PM
I can help you out SpiritFlutes. I have some Bull Oak here. Other woods I would deem suitable and can supply are ringed gidgee, inland rosewood, purple gidgee, brigalow, budgeroo, qld walnut, brown & red lancewood, silver beefwood, hairy oak, brown & red mallee burl, native cherry, figured redgum. Some pre-cut blanks may only be 35mm and some 125mm

G'day Rowie, thanks for finding the thread and getting back to me, I will forward Tom's email to you by PM shortly. Nice to see you got the goods. Cheers mate :2tsup:

ams6096
1st June 2013, 05:41 PM
Hello everyone. I just signed up with this website. The conversation is quite intriguing. But what I would really like to come across is some bull-oak for hobby pipe making. If anyone has any trimmings, twigs, small limbs, etc (any size suitable for pipe bowls or stems) I would certainly be interested in purchasing them. I would love to experiment with this beautifully grained, very hard wood.

KBs PensNmore
9th June 2013, 07:32 PM
Am looking for Bull oak for Tom as well, got some beautiful bog oak and olive from him.
Looking for some Bull oak for myself as pen blanks, if any one has some small offcuts.
Kryn

wm460
21st June 2013, 08:07 PM
Hi Kryn,

Did you get the bulloak you wanted, pretty sure I have some in the shed you could have.

Cheers,
Mark.

KBs PensNmore
22nd June 2013, 11:02 PM
Hi Kryn,

Did you get the bulloak you wanted, pretty sure I have some in the shed you could have.

Cheers,
Mark.

Hi Mark, Thanks for the reply. I haven't got any Bull Oak as yet, looking for pieces about 20X20X130 for the pen blanks. How much do you want for some, plus postage.
Regards
Kryn

wm460
23rd June 2013, 06:36 PM
Hi Kryn,

Too:cold2: to go and have a look now. How many do you need? ​

Cheers,
Mark.

KBs PensNmore
23rd June 2013, 11:11 PM
Hi Kryn,

Too:cold2: to go and have a look now. How many do you need? ​

Cheers,
Mark.

Hi Mark, an here's me thinking of going up your way because it's warmer.:D
About 10 pieces would be nice thanks, let me know how much, so that I can pay you.:2tsup:
Regards,
Kryn

wm460
29th June 2013, 08:07 PM
Hi Kryn,

Finally found the blanks there are 11 there, they are lighter than i remembered. ​

Cheers,
Mark.

Dragonstaff
14th July 2013, 10:59 AM
I have a fair amount of Acacia that would make knife handles or pens (the smaller bits) but it is not sawn, if you are interested. I'm in SA.

TTIT
26th July 2013, 10:20 PM
G'day,

A friend of mine in Croatia has taught himself to make knives he is getting quite good too. The knife forums he is on talk a lot about Aussie woods. He is sending me one of his knives in return for some beef wood and sheoak but He's specifically chasing some Bull Oak.

cheers :UTomislav certainly gets around doesn't he!! I've traded some Buloke directly with him previously but would be interested in getting a chunk of Ancient Kauri for my egg collection - is there anything I might have that you're looking for????