PDA

View Full Version : Dead Microwave Oven

chambezio
25th March 2013, 01:51 PM
Our 3 year old microwave died and we have replaced with a Panasonic. Is there any thing worth while to pull out before it goes to the recyclers?
There would be a transformer and maybe the motor for the turn table. Is there anything else that could be handy down the track?
It suffered a "meltdown" with nasty smell attached. I made the call to replace it rather than getting it "looked at"

_fly_
25th March 2013, 01:56 PM
If the turntable motor is anywhere between 3 and 6 rpm I need one for an evaporative aircon.
Needed to turn the cloth slowly thru the water.
They are small things about 50mm by 20mm with a post that turns slow.

Scott
25th March 2013, 06:28 PM
The magnet in them is of some value.

bsrlee
26th March 2013, 10:03 PM
Panasonic make good microwaves, mine is around 30 years old & still going strong.

There have been a number of online articles on dangerous things to do with the guts of a microwave, most use the magnetron to shoot microwaves at various objects - which can cook your goolies if you are not careful/lucky.

The tempered glass plate would be of use in the kitchen generally. There are a limited number of sizes and someone is always dropping & breaking theirs - and the parts shops would rather sell you a new microwave than a glass plate.:roll:

snowyskiesau
26th March 2013, 11:25 PM
Assuming that it's not the reason for the ovens demise, the control panl could be put to use as a timer to control - whatever.
See if there is a relay or ssr that is used to turn on the power.

Usual disclaimers to working with mains power apply here.

Malibu
27th March 2013, 09:43 AM
I usually chuck most of the microwave out, but the one thing I always keep is the motor. They always come in handy for when you need a slow drive for something...

Bob Willson
1st April 2013, 01:29 AM
Homemade Stick Welder - From Microwave Parts! (http://www.instructables.com/id/Homemade-Stick-Welder-From-Microwave-Parts/)