PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please oh mighty gurus!

Wild Dingo
28th April 2005, 12:44 AM
Well with no knowledge or preparation or even lathe type experience {read here never used one!} but its something Ive always wanted to have a go at so I went ballistic yesty and went and bought one! :eek:

Yep waltzed in and bought one I did bloke at Timbecon was really helpfull and the thing was on special!!! anyway I got the MSL-3815 with a supa nova scroll chuck and a set of HSS chisels... all up price of $1240... I was once told to buy the best available for the price you can afford and this was it given my need to buy other tools and a budget determined by her highness

So Im now wondering... anyone have any experience with these things? what is good about them? whats wrong with them? are the great things or phiss poor? is the variable control reliable?

Its still in the box out in the c-tainer with the new 8in jointer and 15in thicknesser :rolleyes: Im waitin on the shire to approve me new shed ;)

Im asking questions on other areas regarding several other peices of machinery Im buying over the next few weeks. :cool:

Anyways any knowledge views or opinions would be appreciated thanks fellas {an sheilas... Im a pc kinda guy :p }

RETIRED
28th April 2005, 12:59 AM
Shane get a decent drive spur and tail stock centre. It improves all lathes.

Woodfast tail centre, live naturally and if the budget permits get a Stebbes 3/4 inch drive.

Wild Dingo
28th April 2005, 01:29 AM
Thanks ... I think I musta had a bit of a brain phart there as I just found another thread (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=16587&page=1) about just his machine

But regardless that was the type of info I was after! Will check out the prices of the things ye speak an see how the budget holds! :cool:

Sprog
28th April 2005, 02:02 AM
I think I musta had a bit of a brain phart there as I just found another thread (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=16587&page=1) about just his machine

They are all only opinions from people who do not actually own or have used one. They just like to hear the sound of their own typing :D :D

I will be interested in hear your experiences when you have it set up. :D

smidsy
28th April 2005, 10:12 PM
Hei Sprog,
With my ego running full bore I can't actually hear the sound of my typing :D

That looks a nice lathe dingo, you'll have fun.
The next thing is to find yourself a wood turning club - not sure what there is down Mandurah but there's Liddlelow craft group up in Kenwick.
With the Freeway Kenwick is not a bad run these days, if you want contact details send me a pm.
Cheers
Paul

Wild Dingo
29th April 2005, 01:35 AM
Sorry Smidsy I left Mandurah a week ago and we now reside in Brunswick Junction down near Bunbury so Kenwicks a fair hike :( Maybe theres someone down this way with some sorta good knowledge willin to impart it to a sponge like noggin such as mine?! :cool:

Sprog... Opinions are important mate although some I take with a grain of salt others I know I can swear by... but anyways a fellas gotta learn eh? And not knowin a) buggar all about lathes and b) buggar all fellas down this way... I gotta ask me stupid dumb questions someflaminwhere!! :p

No worries will let you all see me troublin efforts as I come to them... heck who knows maybe I will be a natural eh? :D ;)

barnsey
29th April 2005, 11:40 AM
G'day Shane

Welcome to the forum,

You've got yourself off to a great start and that lathe may well see you in the pine box (naturally!!!). What I'm tryin to say is that what ever you start out with is Okay. If you develop abilities or interests you never knew you had then an addition/replacement may well be in order - -you've started well.

Go for it and I look forward to seeing how you go - clubs can be fun - books to me work great in refining technique and learnig the dynamics of what you are trying to do.

Good Luck

Jamie

Christopha
29th April 2005, 04:58 PM
Ignore all but me your Dingoness, they are all idiots! Well meaning but flamin' idiots the lot of 'em.....

Sprog
29th April 2005, 06:26 PM
we now reside in Brunswick Junction down near Bunbury so Kenwicks a fair hike :( Maybe theres someone down this way with some sorta good knowledge willin to impart it to a sponge like noggin such as mine?! :cool:

The Woodturners Association of WA have a group in Bunbury, they are sure to make you welcome and give you all the help you need. They are a great mob. :D :D :D

WAWA Bunbury (http://www.wawa.com.au/Bunbury/homepage.htm)

Wild Dingo
3rd May 2005, 05:08 AM
Ignore all but me your Dingoness, they are all idiots! Well meaning but flamin' idiots the lot of 'em.....

Were on the same wave length oh mighty mudlark of a chrisopha sire tis true but one cannot fail to see your brilliances through your mighty all knowin words... I oncet heard that a foilie will help one avoid the mind numbing intrusions of the alien forces of Christophaians if thats truely fractual then I definantly need a foilie... real quick! :p Check yer emails me ol china plate! ;)

Thanks for the link Sprog! :cool: Once set up I will give them a hoi and have a yarn

Ps... Christopha yer gotta give odds that theres at least a few with some smarts here mate? theyre not ALL idiotas?!! :eek: aaahhh whadda I knows I only begun this wanderin meanderin madness of woodstuffin butcherin caper a few years back! Strewth Ive never evn switched a flamin lathe on let alone made somethin with one!! :eek: