PDA

View Full Version : Power saw blade + extension cord

Chris Duhig
3rd July 2002, 04:37 PM
I've bought a 9¼" DeWalt blade for my new Makita power saw. In the blade packet there's a thin washer/shim. Is it necessary to fit it? What side of the blade does it go on?

And, can anyone help me remove the "memory" from a new extension cord so that I can loop it to my satisfaction?

Eastie
3rd July 2002, 04:52 PM
Sounds like you're talking about the small bushes that sit between the saw spindle and the blade (in the arbor)?

If so, yes you must use them. Refer to a previous post a couple of weeks ago relating to irwin/cmt blades.

You would certainly produce some devastating results without them.

coastie
3rd July 2002, 05:21 PM
If you can find some sun in the depth of this here winter,uncoil your extension cord till it is straight,and leave it out in the sun for as long as possible.Recoil it to suit your needs.

Chris Duhig
3rd July 2002, 05:44 PM
Thanks Coastie, but I've looked back at the postings for the past 100 days and can't find the post you referred to. Any further help appreciated!

Originally posted by Eastie:
Sounds like you're talking about the small bushes that sit between the saw spindle and the blade (in the arbor)?

If so, yes you must use them. Refer to a previous post a couple of weeks ago relating to irwin/cmt blades.

You would certainly produce some devastating results without them.

Chris Duhig
3rd July 2002, 05:51 PM
Whoops - sorry! Eastie not Coastie!
Originally posted by Chris Duhig:
Thanks Coastie, but I've looked back at the postings for the past 100 days and can't find the post you referred to. Any further help appreciated!

soundman
3rd July 2002, 10:23 PM
take it from the soundman sun is the answer to a square cable.
In my business it is not unusual to roll up 50 to 100 cables in a night.
Un happy and argumentative cables are not welcome.
as the previous post some time in the sun is great if you can find some, preferably on concrete,or corogated iron.

I its cold unroll it and lay it out inside a van parked in the sun.

re roll nicely while warm. a little stretch may help.

cheers

BrianR
5th July 2002, 02:25 PM
The other trick when coiling power cords is don't coil them round and round, but do it in a figure-8 around hand and elbow. Even better for long leads is to hold both ends together then coil in a fig-8. To unroll, holt the two ends and just throw the bundle and it uncoils without tangling. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif

soundman
5th July 2002, 06:59 PM
here here doorstop.
It has been said that the only things that should be rolled using the the elbow are tankards of ale & cheap rope.

be nice to your wires and they will be nice to you?

Rod Smith
5th July 2002, 11:31 PM
G'day
Regarding cord, rope or hose storage, even with large loops you have to put twist in it to get it to sit right. Generally not a problem with power cord and rope if done the same way each time (same person). One interesting way of storing such things, particularly hose, is to do it in a figure eight pattern, depending on the type of hose and how its stored you can either have no twist, or a half twist each way to help it form the (figure eight)loops. When you use it just grab it and go, no kinks.
cheers
Rod

soundman
7th July 2002, 09:32 PM
Both "figure 8" and "reverse rolling" (you invert each alternate loop as you lay it up) are very popular in different branches of the media industry.

The TV boys love to figure 8 it is particularly good with stiff cables and big hoses. Takes up some extra room though.

Certain sound companies look down their noses at you if you don't reverse roll. Its bad news if the end is pased through the middle, you get a long string of knots.

I've found most of the time, if you roll the cable from the same end and the same size every time the cable will practicaly roll its self, it will retain the same number of latent twists. works best for shorter cables.

http://www.ubeaut.biz/blah.gif http://www.ubeaut.biz/blah.gif http://www.ubeaut.biz/blah.gif
happy rolling.