PDA

View Full Version : Where can I buy western red cedar in Tasmania?

Jo1831
30th March 2013, 01:41 PM
Have Kayak plans for petrel but having trouble locating a seller for the WRC, strips or sheets or logs. Any suggestions appreciated.

elver
30th March 2013, 10:45 PM
Use King Billy pine instead!

b.o.a.t.
31st March 2013, 12:37 AM
Or consider contacting Whitewood (who inhabits these forums) regarding his paulonia.
broadly similar weight & hardnes to WRC, but lacks the colour & grain.

issatree
31st March 2013, 01:43 AM
Hi Jo1831,
Had a friend, who made a water wheel out of WR Cedar.
With all the sanding he had to do, put him in Hospital for many days.
We almost lost him on the 3rd. day as that dust is a sure killer, & 1 of the worst.
So, I hope in using that, you have a very good mask.
As said, there are other woods.

whitewood
31st March 2013, 07:50 AM
Or consider contacting Whitewood (who inhabits these forums) regarding his paulonia.
broadly similar weight & hardnes to WRC, but lacks the colour & grain. I'm retired now and don't sell it any more but port Phillip Plantation Shutters in Melbourne should be able to supply what you need for a kayak and freight it to you. Paulownia is lighter in weight and colour and is very good timber for your purpose and harmless to work with. Whitewood

labr@
31st March 2013, 09:41 AM
Another recommendation for Paulownia from me although it would still be good to get some WRC for accent strips. This can be very effective as shown by Allan Newhouse :

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f269/small-childs-kayak-164255/

These are really the choices for a lightweight kayak except for small quantities of other timbers used as accents.

I purchased some Paulownia from Geoff Moase on the Gold Coast and am using it in a skin on frame kayak build. Freight may be less for you from Melbourne but I'm sure either source would be good.
As for the safety side it's always better to wear a mask when power sanding no matter what the timber is.

KJL38
31st March 2013, 09:58 PM
I also recommend Paulownia, it's much nicer to work with but for WRC try Timber World - Tasmania, Australia (http://www.timberworld.com.au/index.html)

bloggs1968
31st March 2013, 11:57 PM
Have Kayak plans for petrel but having trouble locating a seller for the WRC, strips or sheets or logs. Any suggestions appreciated.

email me with what you need - can defintely supply and cut to order.

regards,

AD

whitewood
1st April 2013, 08:31 AM
Both Geoff Moase and Port Phillip Plantation Shutters source their Paulownia from the same sawmill. I believe it is the only commercial Paulownia sawmill in Australia. I recommended P.P.P.S. because it is close to Tasmania. Whitewood

b.o.a.t.
1st April 2013, 01:44 PM
I'm retired now and don't sell it any more <snip> Whitewood

Happy Retirement !

whitewood
2nd April 2013, 07:48 AM
Happy Retirement ! Thanks for the good wishes. Had a full knee replacement since retirement and with the problems I had I would not have been able to run the timber business. So I retired just in time. Whitewood