PDA

View Full Version : Tool rest bevel

pommyphil
30th March 2013, 06:02 PM
I'm making some tool rests, I have the round bar and a old long beveled two post rest to cut up.

My question is .... Bevel up or bevel down ??? My old (Vicmarc ? ) ones are bevel down, the

newer ones bevel up. Thanks Phil

Drillit
31st March 2013, 09:40 AM
Mine are all bevel down. I think that the chisels slide better but need to dress every
now and then to get out any nicks by running flat file along the length at about 45 degrees.
Never thought to try the opposite. Drillit.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
31st March 2013, 07:40 PM
I like bevel up, as this tends to put the thicker dimension of the rest almost vertical... which means I can drop my tool handle lower for certain cuts. Because the bevel's already facing up, it's convenient to just run a file over for touch-ups with no need to remove the rest. :)

It also means that the rest can take heavier knocks (in case of bad catches) but this also means it's the post/toolrest junction is more likely to become a failure point.

I guess it's different horses for different courses. :wink:

chuck1
1st April 2013, 02:22 PM
here is a photo of one of my toolrests, for spindle faceplate and some bowls I like to use this type. all home made flat bar is 50 by 10 mm and bright bar for post! and welded by my mate

turnerted
1st April 2013, 04:36 PM
Not sure what is being referred to as "bevel up" or "bevel down". As an example, what would you call the one in Chuck 1's picture ?

Ted

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st April 2013, 04:50 PM
Not sure what is being referred to as "bevel up" or "bevel down". As an example, what would you call the one in Chuck 1's picture ?

Bevel up.

Although in Chuck1's case, it's more a case of "curve up" rather than bevel. :)

pommyphil
1st April 2013, 04:56 PM
Thanks for your input gentlemen, I just made two 200mm ( 8" ) one up and one down.

My partner is learning to roll beads with a skew and she keeps taking the 200mm.

My chop saw only cuts to 50 degrees so that's the angle on the round bar

Probably 5 years since I used the welder......... I blame old damp rods :- so no photos.

Thanks again..... Phil

chuck1
1st April 2013, 05:22 PM
Bevel up.

Although in Chuck1's case, it's more a case of "curve up" rather than bevel. :)

yeah they need more grinding to get the top edge further forward! to support the tool closer to the job, what ive made for cost and time work well!

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st April 2013, 06:33 PM
yeah they need more grinding to get the top edge further forward! to support the tool closer to the job, what ive made for cost and time work well!

I reckon that one is perfectly fine for scraper work or as support for deep hollowing tools... even for most normal bowl/spindle work. IMO it's only really the very small/delicate pieces that need the leading edge ultra close to the timber.

Besides, if you're like me and tend to file it every so often to get rid of dings, etc., then it doesn't take too long before a bevel starts to take shape.