PDA

View Full Version : A couple of turnings

torchwood
31st March 2013, 05:15 PM
Hi all, managed to finish a couple of turnings now that the heat has gone. One is camphor laurel and measures 8” x 2 ½’. The other one is yellow box and measures 5 ½”x 5 ½” Hope you like them.:)

wood hacker
31st March 2013, 05:26 PM
Man you have a pair of large brass ones my friend. No way on earth I'd be game to throw that lump of yellowbox on the lathe. Lovely turnings as always.

cheers
WH

torchwood
31st March 2013, 05:36 PM
Thanks WH, I’m getting the hang of this wood turning slowly but surely, but if I may brag for a second, I’ve got a masters degree in ducking and weaving! :C

artme
31st March 2013, 05:38 PM
:iagree: :thumbup1:

Christos
1st April 2013, 06:43 AM
Very beautifully made.

Drillit
1st April 2013, 10:15 AM
Hello Torchwood,
Excellent. Safe as with a faceplate and live centre, eh.:D Drillit.

chambezio
1st April 2013, 11:07 AM
Very nice indeed.
I will go along with the brass set too, especially with the Yellow Box!
During a firewood hunt we came across a very large YB that had been downed by another mate 3 years previous. It had no bark (and no sign of bark) so it was long dead years ago. At least 900mm diameter and hard,HARD. A block splitter just bounced off. Mmmm, I took a couple of rounds home for turned chisel handles. When I got them home a had areal good look, a small White Ant raiding party had made a cafeteria in the middle. Mmm chainsaw to get into 50mm slabs. No worries. but what to do with the White Ants? While I was thinking they were falling out of the log and onto the ground. While I watched...black meat ants devoured them!! I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it. The blackys got stuck into the whiteys till they were all consumed.
As old as the YB was and as dead as it was do you know the timber was still sappy! I have to let the 50mm slabs dry more before I can turn them

dr4g0nfly
1st April 2013, 07:10 PM
I think we all admire the courage it takes to look at a lump of poor quality timber and think, 'I'll put that on the lathe.'

Most of the time, it'll fail, won't hold together, unable to make anything worthwhile or the end product was not worth the effort...

... however, sometimes it works, and this is one of them.

Looks good, I support the sphere comments as well :2tsup::2tsup: