PDA

View Full Version : Some help if ya can?

Sigidi
1st April 2013, 08:53 PM
For those that go on youtube if you can keep an eye out for any idiots who may post a video of screwing around on a bobcat - namely MINE!!!!!

some bloody fools took it for a joyride, smashed my lights in tore my wiring and then left him in this friggin dam.

So in case they are stupid enough to have videod themselves and put it on youtube - I've done a look tonight but nothing is evident at the moment, thanks.

Oden
1st April 2013, 09:23 PM
:no:

Scott
1st April 2013, 09:25 PM
Oh, that's not good. Hope you get some justice.

MAPLEMAN
1st April 2013, 09:30 PM
Sorry to hear about that Allen :(..why anyone would do that beggars belief :?..i am lost for words,hope you catch the low life mate..MM

DJ’s Timber
1st April 2013, 11:44 PM
Grrr, won't describe what I would do to the lowlifes on here, not really printable but hope you find those responsible and that you get it up and running without too much headache.

I've found this guy in the states on eBay good for spares.

All Skidsteers, bobcat parts items in AllSkidsteers store on eBay! (http://stores.ebay.com/AllSkidsteers?_trksid=p2047675.l2563)

If he hasn't got any parts you require listed, send him an email as he'll list it if he has it.

Cliff Rogers
1st April 2013, 11:46 PM
Bugger.

dai sensei
2nd April 2013, 12:20 AM
Crap :o

Sorry to hear, blo_dy morons, no brains nor any sense of responsibilities :~

mach70
2nd April 2013, 12:30 AM
Bloody Mongrels...someone should do something like that to stuff they own and see how they like it.

West OZ Mark
2nd April 2013, 02:03 AM
Bloody Mongrels...someone should do something like that to stuff they own and see how they like it.
doubt they have anything they own !!! :(( These are not the actions of someone working hard during the week and getting drunk on the weekend and trashing someones machine. They are just wasted space making it even harder for hard working battlers. Sorry to hear Sigidi

Barterbuilt
2nd April 2013, 06:54 AM
Very sorry to hear mate, hope you get it sorted without too much drama.

Andrew

Sigidi
2nd April 2013, 07:51 AM
Thanks fella's!!!

If during your travels these morons happen to post a video of their antics you'll be able to id my bobcat with my logo and phone number etc. more eyes watching the better I say. I've chucked a request on fb, the US forum I go to also the kayaking forum I'm on - just to get as many eye's on you tube as possible...ya never know

Anyway, I am told forensics will contact me within 24 hours of filing the report with Police and then they will determine if they will do any investigation regarding it. So should find out sometime today if I go fish it out or leave it for 'em to play with.

Thanks again

artme
2nd April 2013, 08:15 AM
Cretinous, moronic bar stewards!!:~:~:~

Mindless vandalism like this really gets to me!

Sawdust Maker
2nd April 2013, 08:22 AM
that beggers belief

bloomin galahs :((

A Duke
2nd April 2013, 10:35 AM
that beggers belief

bloomin galahs :((What an insult to an honourable bird species, comparing them to that offal.

chambezio
2nd April 2013, 11:41 AM
Reading this story makes me mad too. When Oz Hunter's father had that run-in with the hoons it makes me think it might be time to get a ute and some able bodied blokes armed with baseball bats and drop around to these clowns and dish out a bit of "justice"! But I suppose that sort of vigilantism is lower ourselves to their level.
I suppose you won't know the exact condition of "Bob's" motor until you do some exploratory surgery. This could be quite costly. I hope insurance will cover it.
Absolutely senseless act and no respect of some others property. Really sorry to hear it Allan

rustynail
2nd April 2013, 01:21 PM
Thanks fella's!!!

If during your travels these morons happen to post a video of their antics you'll be able to id my bobcat with my logo and phone number etc. more eyes watching the better I say. I've chucked a request on fb, the US forum I go to also the kayaking forum I'm on - just to get as many eye's on you tube as possible...ya never know

Anyway, I am told forensics will contact me within 24 hours of filing the report with Police and then they will determine if they will do any investigation regarding it. So should find out sometime today if I go fish it out or leave it for 'em to play with.

Thanks again
Al, dont touch it 'till they dust it for prints. But probably kids with no record....yet.

Sir Stinkalot
2nd April 2013, 02:32 PM
Anyway, I am told forensics will contact me within 24 hours of filing the report with Police and then they will determine if they will do any investigation regarding it.

Al, dont touch it 'till they dust it for prints. But probably kids with no record....yet.

Sounds like they may not even be interested in heading out to have a look at it. Its a sad situation that incidents like this are not even considered worthy of investigation. I am sure that logging the incident on the books will come in really handy if they have a string of similar incidents and somebody hands themselves in.

Bushmiller
5th April 2013, 08:17 AM
Al

I've only just seen your thread.

This is terrible. You are not having a good run with vandalism and theft. I think I would be looking into some portable cameras that you can pop in a nearby tree to monitor your milling equipment.

It won't stop vandalism and theft, but you may (through the police) be able to catch the perpetrators. I hope you can fix up the machine without too much cost.

Regards
Paul

Sigidi
5th April 2013, 10:36 PM
Sounds like they may not even be interested in heading out to have a look at it. Its a sad situation that incidents like this are not even considered worthy of investigation. I am sure that logging the incident on the books will come in really handy if they have a string of similar incidents and somebody hands themselves in.

Well I left it alone, in the dam waiting for forensics and they came out the next morning at about 0700, but in his opinion it wasn't worth dusting for prints. Maintained that construction sites bread 'dust' which sticks to everything and this just means when people handle things they lift dirt rather than leave prints!!!!!! so he didn't even bother getting his powder out. Even though the site had half an inch of rain the night before, but he dusted the site office window that got smashed and also the door handle to the site office?!?!?!? go figure???

Paul (aka Bushmiller)

I now have four battery operated, motion activated, infra red video cameras, after the last theft I had them installed at the jobsite while I was still there milling, but as I have moved to mill at the local council dump, I didn't have them set up where Bob was, I also thought I would be done in one day:doh::no: looks like I am going to have to pack up everything at the end of each work day.

I managed to get some help from a jobsite close to this one (who also had their own attention from these w@nker$, trashing their machines, smashing windows to the site office and also tagging brand new houses and driveways) to extract Bob from the dam.

The damage to Bob was mainly cosmetic and he still turned over and drove after coming out of the dam, albeit for about a minute before he cut out. Turns out the fuel tank must've taken up silt from the driving around they did in the dam as bob will run for about a minute or two, then nothing for 4-5 hours, then a minute or two again. So for the time being to get back to work, I've bypassed the main fuel tank with a 10L jerry onboard above the back door.

Also a mate recommended checking the oil in the chain case...well crap!!! not only was there a LOT of water in there (I opened the fill plug and it ran out solid for more than 2 min, when the level should be just reachable with the tip of your finger poked into the plug hole) but it was also a frothy/creamy mess:C Looks like I will have to flush it out and also replace this crappy oil - best price I've managed to get is $140 for one oil fill and I reckon I need at least two fills/flushes before getting the majority of the water/oil mix.

To cap it off, the drain plug for the chain case and the fuel tank are a weird bung with metal insert thingo - user manual says to replace the bung when you take out the drain plug, so each flush of the chain case and fuel tank will also need new bung thingo's from Clarke Equipment.

To get my on-board fuel tank running properly means the fuel tank needs to be flushed out, also there is a screen on the fuel pick up line which will need cleaning out. To get to the fuel tank...I have to remove the engine :doh::no::o:C

So far I've lost 3 days work getting Bob out and getting him running again, still yet to flush the chain case at $140 per flush not including parts and am having to face the prospect of pulling the engine out to clean up the fuel tank....

MAPLEMAN
5th April 2013, 11:03 PM
Theses acts of mindlessness are a symptom of a very sick society..last year we had someone prowling around the farm,and they tried to pinch the motor off the lucas mill...must have been too heavy for them as they left it on the ground.It was raining that night so we never heard anything,they were very sneaky :~..the dogs will greet them next time :; really feel for ya buddy,what a rank act they performed..they deserve a good flogging i reckon..MM

dai sensei
6th April 2013, 11:41 AM
I'm with MM, let the dogs loose on these mugs, they have no respect nor conscious.

Don't suppose Bob is insured?

artme
6th April 2013, 12:35 PM
Al, is it possible for you to do the flushing with a mixture of kero and diesel?

I guess if you have other productive work to do then it will pay to get someone
to do the flushing for you.

Have to agree with MM. A pair of hungry dorgs would be the go!

Bushmiller
6th April 2013, 08:19 PM
Al, is it possible for you to do the flushing with a mixture of kero and diesel?

I guess if you have other productive work to do then it will pay to get someone
to do the flushing for you.

Arthur

While I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment I'm afraid dogs will get you more trouble than they are worth. Guard dogs are almost without exception contained in a fenced area. There is a good chance that such an animal will be unable to distinguish between a passing kid and a vandal.

Different thing entirely if you are there with the dog as presumably you have a measure of control over the animal (if not leave this option out too), but then being there negates the need for the animal unless you are set upon by a gang :oo: .

After a day milling, you hardly have the energy left to pack up gear let alone errect fences so I don't really have a solution. Luckily I never had to contend with this type of behaviour.

I hope that Al can get Bob going again.

Regards
Paul

pjt
7th April 2013, 01:00 AM
This story goes from bad to worse, boot camp/national service or something is needed for these sorts, too easy for em to lay about on the couch all day then go and find something to wreck.

Would an immobiliser/secret kill switch be any good, or a motion detector, it's all work and cost tho. :((

I hope it all comes good Al.

Pete

MAPLEMAN
7th April 2013, 01:08 AM
Sadly the best option, is to pack everything up at the end of the day,and take it home :C and be grossly inconvenienced in the process :doh:...hope karma cathches up with 'em...one day they will get caught doing what they do,and it may not be a dog that savages them :no:.MM :2tsup:

Willy Nelson
7th April 2013, 09:50 AM

Release the Furry chainsaws!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :((

Assuming we aren't talking poodles here:o

artme
7th April 2013, 11:46 AM
Yes Paul, you are right. Sometimes I let my fury get the better of me.

I know from farming experience just how much inconvenience and damage
these sorts of acts can cause. The same with drunk drivers who clean up your
fences and run into your fruit trees. There's not a lot you can do about it.

I am in favour of tougher fines and sentences for these fools. It seem to be
the only sane way to go.Provided of course that these scoundrels can be caught!!!.

Sigidi
7th April 2013, 10:01 PM
It still has me shaking my head :( bunch of sods.

Anyway, bob is working for the time being...

'outboard' fuel tank meaning Bob will run until I get parts from Bobcat to flush the fuel tank and also flush the chaincase, once that is done, mechanically all should be good, but then I still have to replace the light units and sort something to 'secure' the keystart better so it can't occur again.

But I am leaning toward packing everything at the end of each day - that will get tiresome and tedious especially if milling in the same spot the very next day. Not to mention the extra wear and tear from dragging around the bobcat each and everyday

Bushmiller
8th April 2013, 12:15 AM
Al

I know I said I had never experienced this type of vandalism before and that was correct, at least in regards to timber milling. However a few years back in conjunction with SWMBO we ran a tea house and coffee shop. It was situated in an old stand alone house.

In the first three months we were there we were broken into three times. The first time they stole the tip jar, the second time nothing, but the third time they stole the new stereo and all our CDs.

I was incensed. Instead of travelling home each night I stayed in the tea house and armed myself with a mobile phone which had the number of the local police already punched in ready to call. I also had a rather ugly looking knife of which Rambo would have been proud.

I had assumed I would have to keep up this vigil for some months, but I was undaunted by the prospect. One week later I was wakened by the sound of somebody trying to prise open the windows. I picked up the phone and the knife and dialed the police explaining that I could hear the burglar breaking in.

I then put down the knife as I wasn't nearly as brave as I thought I was and it occurred to me that if I slipped it between somebody's ribs it was most likely that it would be me in trouble.

The police arrived with lights flashing and sirens blaring.(I know it beggared belief). I heard the thief run off down the side of the house. Nobody was caught. The police dusted down the windows for prints the next day, but confided it was very difficult to obtain clear prints. Apparently it is not like CSI.

The good thing was we never had a problem again. I suspect that because I didn't reveal myself to the burglar they didn't know what had alerted the police and were reluctant to give it another go.

My own suspicions are that it was a juvenile delinquent :( .

Regards
Paul

Sigidi
8th April 2013, 08:09 AM
Yeah Paul, its almost as though they don't want to catch them?????

Makes you bloody angry hey?

milwise
8th April 2013, 11:55 AM
You could look at putting a sea container on site with a shielded lock system.

Bushmiller
8th April 2013, 01:42 PM
You could look at putting a sea container on site with a shielded lock system.

milwise

That's not a bad idea. Cost of course rears it's ugly head. A vermin-proof, weather-proof shipping container is going to cost between $2000 and $2500. Probably allow for $150 to $200 each time it is moved by tilt tray (without the skid steer inside).

However it might be possible to convert that expense into a plus. The shipping container could be painted up into an advertisement. Plus it might be possible to store other equipment as well and extend the scope of the operation.

In fact with the skid steer inside most of the time when unattended the combined weight of it and the container (2.2 Tonnes) would stop most people with their own tilt tray from driving away with it on board.

Certainly worth a thought when on a site for an extended period of time. The main problem I see for Al (ignoring the need to part with money for the moment) is where it is stored when it is not on site. Most back yards can't cope with such an imposition.

Regards
Paul

MAPLEMAN
8th April 2013, 02:11 PM
Who or what is going to stop them beaking into the container??...and if you put the effort in to paint it with an advertising logo,then they will 'TAG' it...take your gear home everyday,it's the only safe answer i reckon..MM :2tsup:

A Duke
8th April 2013, 02:43 PM
Who or what is going to stop them beaking into the container??...and if you put the effort in to paint it with an advertising logo,then they will 'TAG' it...take your gear home everyday,it's the only safe answer i reckon..MM :2tsup:That does not always work. A glazier I know was told "Don't leave your gear in the container, we've been done over a couple of times on this site" so the first night he ever takes his tools home, his van was broken into in his drive and the lot stolen.
Regards

Bushmiller
8th April 2013, 03:38 PM
Who or what is going to stop them beaking into the container??...and if you put the effort in to paint it with an advertising logo,then they will 'TAG' it...take your gear home everyday,it's the only safe answer i reckon..MM :2tsup:

MM

I think millwise's intention was to have a safety devise on the container. You can buy commercial devices, but in the past I have made up my own from a piece of circular pipe (100mm from memory). The lock sits inside the pipe so that it is impossible to get bolt cutters onto the padlock. It doesn't utilise the four sets of handles already on the container.

My containers are down in NSW, but if nobody has put up a pic before about the first week in May I will take a pic and post it here.

Regards
Paul

MAPLEMAN
8th April 2013, 04:13 PM
MM

I think millwise's intention was to have a safety devise on the container. You can buy commercial devices, but in the past I have made up my own from a piece of circular pipe (100mm from memory). The lock sits inside the pipe so that it is impossible to get bolt cutters onto the padlock. It doesn't utilise the four sets of handles already on the container.

My containers are down in NSW, but if nobody has put up a pic before about the first week in May I will take a pic and post it here.

Regards
PaulWhat's to stop them taking off with the container??

Bushmiller
8th April 2013, 07:28 PM
What's to stop them taking off with the container??

MM

From post #32:

"In fact with the skid steer inside most of the time when unattended the combined weight of it and the container (2.2 Tonnes) would stop most people with their own tilt tray from driving away with it on board."

By the time all the gear was in the container you would be looking at around 6 tonnes (assuming the bobcat is approaching 3 tonne ). It needs a serious tilt tray to load that. Most car recovery tilts are considerably less than that.

Also we are starting to look at a different scenario altogether. Al's grief has come from joy riders out for fun and games. If they have the gear to lift up six tonnes of shipping container I think we are considering a very different sort of criminal.

There is probably no perfect solution. Only compromise :( .

Regards
Paul

Bushmiller
8th April 2013, 07:37 PM
Just a further comment on loading shipping containers, my limited knowledge tells me that although they are not really heavy at just over two tonnes, most cranes (Hiab type) are unable to load them because of the reach required. A five tonne crane can only load five tonnes on the shortest extension of the boom.

A truck with a sufficient size crane is probably not going to be too keen on travelling over rough ground.

If DJ is watching this, he may be able to throw more light on this aspect.

Regards
Paul

DJ’s Timber
8th April 2013, 08:08 PM
Just a further comment on loading shipping containers, my limited knowledge tells me that although they are not really heavy at just over two tonnes, most cranes (Hiab type) are unable to load them because of the reach required. A five tonne crane can only load five tonnes on the shortest extension of the boom.

A truck with a sufficient size crane is probably not going to be too keen on travelling over rough ground.

If DJ is watching this, he may be able to throw more light on this aspect.

Regards
Paul

Rough ground doesn't worry me, just need to slow down to suit the ground, I've had to go off the beaten track to recover logs.

Yes you're correct, at full extension (6.2m) mine will lift 1.3t, 4.5t at 1.2m. I'll take a pic of the lifting chart on my crane tomorrow.

I'll be able to give you a more direct answer sometime in the next week or so, as one of my neighbours are selling and they said I can have their one for nix, so I'll need to move it and yes it'll be empty.

Sigidi
8th April 2013, 10:19 PM
I thought of a shipping container when my first gear was stolen...

was going to be $3,000 for a lockable, vermin proof, weather proof container bought and delivered to site. It would fit a workbench in back, with room to take air compressor, generator, welder etc full time. Mill could fit in for long term safe keeping or the carriage wheeled in for short term. Also Bob could drive in with bucket and forks, all locked up nicely with a 'security device' installed around the padlock to stop bolt cutters being able to access the padlock. Moving fee's for me would have been $500 per lift.

My largest issue was not having a permanent yard to operate from, being on several sites in the course of a month would mean large ongoing expenses. For instance, my mill is on site in a chaps backyard at the moment, while the bobcat was on the site it was vandalised at.

Also with renting at the moment, having a shipping container to carry around to different rentals would not be easy.

I do agree, the idea of a container seemed very good, also the advertising part of it was also considered, but as was said, then they just vandalise it - one begins to think what is that point......

rustynail
8th April 2013, 10:52 PM
We use a container cut in half. The roof cut edge on each half has a piece of 50 x 50 angle welded to each. When the container goes together, these two angles butt like back to back Ls and a piece of inverted U shaped flashing slips over to form a seal. The sides have a bolton cover plate nutted on the inside. To take to site, one half goes on the truck the other on the trailer, bobcat or tractor drives in the open end. Easy lift for a hiab or fork tynes on the tractor.

tassietimbers
9th April 2013, 09:20 PM
Hi there.

Sorry to see what the buggers did to your bobcat. I use isolators on most of my gear, mainly for electrical safety when we are not around, but also to stop kids joyrididng as well. If you are chasing some cheap/free oil for flushing the chain case, try your nearest Caterpillar/Hitachi dealer or earthmoving contractor. Hydraulic oils usually get changed out every 1000hrs, and if you can get it before it ends up mixed with sump oil, it will be relatively clean. Flush the chain case a few times with it, then use it as bar oil on the slabber. They may even give it to you for nothing, as they usually have to pay to get rid of it. But get it as clean as you can, and maybe filter it. Someone out there with a better-than-bush-mechanic knowledge may give you some other insight to this idea, but I think it should be ok.

And always look to turn a negative into a positive, as you had the perfect reason to go and buy a 20t excavator to recover your bobcat. At the end of each day, park the bobcat under the boom of the excavator to avoid theft. Then use the 20 tonner to load your new site office shipping container onto your new float, that can double as a log truck, which can be towed by your new 500hp road-train rated Kenworth, which......ah damn...this is how I get into trouble all the time!

Good luck with it all.

Cheers

James:2tsup:

Sigidi
17th April 2013, 08:57 PM
Well the drama is still unfolding. Had to remove my traction lock today as it is getting stuck locked on, only got my first round of parts from Clark Equipment yesterday, so have'nt been able to flush out chaincase yet :( what stupid bloody system doesn't use a regular bolt as a drain plug? could've flushed the damn thing 20x over already if it was just a friggin bolt, but no it's some special rubber busing with a plug - only from bobcat and they had bloody show holidays where I get my bits from (admittedly at the right price;)) but now I've realised the new keystart needs a wiring harness to go with it - that was order today, along with a host of 'service items' oil filters, fuel filter external and in tank, air filter, also got told of small filter unit inside hydraulic drive motors to check and clean out to prevent drive motor failure from pressure build up.

I've got bob running and working for me for the time being loaded a bunch of 2.4m ironbarks, sliced 'em up then loaded 5m blackbutt and tallows ready for tomorrow

Bushmiller
17th April 2013, 10:36 PM
Al

Good to see that while these problems have slowed you up they have not stopped you. Good to see :2tsup: . Stick with it.

Regards
Paul

pjt
18th April 2013, 01:45 AM
:iagree:

Bushmiller
28th May 2013, 06:43 PM
I mentioned in an earlier thread that I would post some pix of the lock shielding device on my containers in NSW. I did some milling down there and in all the excitement (for me that is) forgot to put them up so here they are:

Regards
Paul

Sigidi
30th May 2013, 08:36 AM
Yer, that's the go Paul, that way they can't get bolt cutters or grinder at the lock, they have to go through the outside first and that would take them too long methinks