PDA

View Full Version : Tips on a Jarrah verandah

Programmer
29th April 2005, 03:03 AM
Having some Jarrah T&G del on the wend for the verandah out front. About 130 lm. The old stuff has unfortunately given in to my 3 young kids... I'm interested in hearing:

a) Any tips on laying it (Don't do this - make sure you do that)
b) If possible. A low sheen (ie Hate gloss), good quality, reasonably hardwearing finish. I've had a quick look at Bunnies and walked out more confused than when I walked in.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Trav
29th April 2005, 02:11 PM
programmer - have fun mate.

Make sure that you get your joists at the right spacing - otherwise the boards will bow in the middle. About 400-450 centres is right. Make sure your first board is square otherwise it will be hard to correct if they are t&g.

Are you going to top nail it or secret nail? Top nailing is much easier.

Could you just use decking oil? You might have to reapply every few years (if it is covered, every 6 months if not) - most of them are about the same. I use wattyl decking oil on my deck and I think it is fine.

Trav

Programmer
29th April 2005, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

Just had a quick look at the old joists and one is kaput. Why do people place watering systems right up against verandahs? !!!!! Do they think the wood could do with a drink? So, time to replace that.

I'm a bit slack on the secret nailing front, so I'll just top nail. Actually, I quite like the idea of keeping it as much 'original' as I can (if I can possibly justify that last statement while placing new wood... :) , and don't mind the look of well done top nailing. OK, that might sound a bit weird to some of you but then again, that's me...

Decking Oil. Mmmm, certainly hardy. Will it however really show the grain of the wood? I have seen a very low-lustre finish with very 'showy' grain - so I know it's possible - just can't remember where I saw it - which helps.

Aussiebruce
30th April 2005, 06:51 PM
I have used the decking oil on a jarrah table that is always exposed to the sun. It needs to be refreshed a couple times a year with a couple coats but looks terrific. Make sure it is sanded smooth first and the grain shows through beautifully.

Island Nomad
30th April 2005, 07:44 PM
Hand nail (staggered pattern) deck with 2 galvanised bullet head nails, predrill to avoid splitting and then punch. Put some strips of Malthoid on top of joists prior to the decking, to prevent rot in tops of joists caused by nailing.

Use Sikkens Cetol HLS 001 Clear for the finish. It looks fantastic, it's oil based, and has a beautiful matt finish which is easy to apply and all importantly, easy to reapply in a few years time. I've been using it for 20+ years, it costs a bit as do the other quality coatings but you won't regret it.

Programmer
3rd May 2005, 01:59 AM
Thanks Island Nomad. I've been looking at the Feast & Watson Decking Oil. Anyone had any experience with this? Re the oil you suggest, "Sikkens Cetol HLS 001 Clear", where do you believe it stands when compared to the F&W?

Island Nomad
3rd May 2005, 01:28 PM
They are both good products, I think from memory that the F&W looks abit drier. Whereas the Sikkens looks fantastic (that may sound a little biased but I have just had such good results with it).