PDA

View Full Version : St James Bay Tool Co

jmk89
4th April 2013, 09:50 AM
I need new nickers for my Stanley #289 and I see that St James Bay have replacements. The last time I tried to buy something from them (a couple of years ago), they didn't respond to my emails. Has anyone had any more recent experience of buying from them?

IanW
4th April 2013, 09:55 AM
Jeremy, I thought they went belly-up a couple of years ago - are they still trading?

Cheers,

jmk89
4th April 2013, 10:42 AM
Their website (http://www.stjamesbaytoolco.com/) is still operating

orraloon
4th April 2013, 11:53 AM
I still see plane kits they have on ebay.

Clinton1
4th April 2013, 04:53 PM
I believe that they are still operating, but found it difficult to deal with them (e.g. it all went easily after I got an email from them, but that took a bit of effort).
After email correspondence was achieved, it all went smoothly with good feedback as to order status.
Persist is my advice.(unless they have gone belly up in the great-post-GFC tool market slow down:?) I'll make some enquiries for you.

jimbur
5th April 2013, 11:24 AM
Are these the same as on a 78 rebate plane?

jmk89
5th April 2013, 11:47 AM
Are these the same as on a 78 rebate plane?
They don't look like them and Patrick Leach (http://supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan14.htm) says they are not interchangeable

The good news is that St James Bay replied overnight by email with a postage quote. So rumours of their demise seem to be exaggerated!

FenceFurniture
5th April 2013, 11:52 AM
Jeremy, perhaps a PAYG Skype call could solve the problem. After this weekend they are 15 hours behind so 7am here is 4pm there, or midnight here is 9am there.

Oops - belay that - cross posting.

Clinton1
5th April 2013, 02:14 PM
Glad to see it is sorted, a friend in the US contacted them for me and confirmed that they are still trading as well.

Morbius
9th April 2013, 09:56 PM
I did buy some new Stanley 289 nickers and a new blade as well from the St James Bay Tool Company late last year. Excellent quality and very happy with the results. Yes, difficult to contact via email, but worth the wait :)

Craig