PDA

View Full Version : Steel knitting needles for tools?

Virgil
4th April 2013, 11:25 PM
Hello folks.

I have vague recollections of someone using steel knitting needles as a source of material for the blade in cutting or marking gauges. Anyone have any idea about this or think that they would work?

Cheers
Virg.

China
4th April 2013, 11:59 PM
I haven't heard of nitting needles but old gramaphone needles are great for marking gauges

wheelinround
5th April 2013, 10:09 AM
I haven't heard of nitting needles but old gramaphone needles are great for marking gauges

Is that where Record tools got its name :p

If I dare touch LOML's knitting needles other than make new wooden ones I may as well KMAG.

issatree
5th April 2013, 10:38 AM
Hi All,
Yes, needles wood be great, but so wood Bike & Motor Bike Spokes.
Here I am trying to turn the Ladies Heads from using Steel Knitting Needles, as they apparently play up with Arthritis, So I make Wooden Knitting Needles, of all Sizes & Lenghts
I have had great reports about My Needles.

stevebaby
5th April 2013, 03:29 PM
Stainless bicycle spokes. Probably get them from a bike shop for nothing. There are also bladed spokes which could be used for a cutting gauge. Even if you have to buy one it will only cost $2 at the most.

Berlin
5th April 2013, 07:19 PM
Is that where Record tools got its name :p

If I dare touch LOML's knitting needles other than make new wooden ones I may as well KMAG.

KMAG... Genius :LMAO:

IanW
5th April 2013, 07:21 PM
I used to save broken drill bits for pins & cutters, but a spate of gauge making used up my entire stock, so a couple of weeks ago I decided to try something different. McJing has bright steel, water-hardening rod for just a few dollars per 400mm length. So I got some 2mm (pins) and 4mm (cutters) to try, & am very happy with the results:

The rod comes dead soft, & is easy to shape with files. I heated the business end to red-hot with a Mapp gas torch, dunked in a can of water, stirring vigorously, and presto, pins & cutters a file skates off. I didn't bother trying to temper them, just polished the scale off & left them bone hard. I was holding them in the flame with pliers, & only the top half reached critical temperature, so the rest will not be brittle.

Cheers,