PDA

View Full Version : Jointing Jig for Thicknesser

noodle_snacks
29th April 2005, 01:59 PM
Has anyone made or considered making a jig that would allow you to use a thickness planer to joint stock? I am thinking along the lines of some MDF and non-slip rubber...

E. maculata
29th April 2005, 02:19 PM
No I haven't, But if you make one I'll pinch the design for sure :p
In other words sounds like a fine idea :cool:

Stuart
29th April 2005, 02:22 PM
I'm working (slowly) on a similar concept- have a thicknesser which no longer feeds stock through, so have completely dismantled it with the idea of making it into a 12" jointer. Current problem to solve is the in and outfeed tables. The thicknesser has some metal in the way which will need to be removed, without loosing the structural integrity of the unit.

noodle_snacks
29th April 2005, 02:43 PM
I will grab some MDF next time i am at bunnies and give it a go then.

ryanarcher
29th April 2005, 05:50 PM
There was an article in a recent fww for a jig that does exactly what you are looking for. I used my jig for over a year before buying a jointer. I photocopied the article and mailed it to jack E. maybe he could scan it and email it to ya. but shipping from the us is getting a little expensive.;)

bitingmidge
29th April 2005, 07:17 PM
Ryan,

Which jig/issue of FWW were you referring to? I probably have it here and can save the grief!

Cheers,

P

echnidna
29th April 2005, 08:11 PM
I used to use a mdf box which went through the thicknesser.
I pack it with boards on edge & with bows up and lock them in the box with timber wedges. I could joint all the boards in a dining table top in a couple of passes.
So it actually was much faster than using a jointer, as well as being easier to use and was extremely accurate.

NewLou
29th April 2005, 08:29 PM
Gidday Noodle_Snacks,

Theres Fantastic Plans for A Shop Built ROuter Jointer in Shopnotes Vol 14 Issue 80 Pg:32..............She looks like a beauty. PM me if you'd like me to send you the Plans!

REgards Lou ;)

ryanarcher
30th April 2005, 06:53 AM
Ryan,

Which jig/issue of FWW were you referring to? I probably have it here and can save the grief!

Cheers,

P

february 05. no. 175 ;)

Jack E
30th April 2005, 08:36 AM
Ryan,

I have not recieved the plans yet. If they don't come it is no big deal as I just bought the new 6" long bed jointer from Timbecon. :D :D :D

Cheers, Jack.

ryanarcher
30th April 2005, 03:09 PM
They should be there soon. when you get them, you could always foreward it to the next needy person ;). it would be like the fruit cake that gets passed around every christmas but no one ever eats :D. Congrats on the purchase!
-Ryan

Jack E
30th April 2005, 05:20 PM
Thanks Ryan,

Unfortunately I have to wait a month before I get the new toy due to delivery issues. I bought it from Perth and to save the $400 odd dollars delivery (I also bought a belt / disc sander for "derek" sharpening and a dust collector) I am having timbecon take it to Brisbane for the WWW show and having it delivered to Townsville from there.

I will pass the plans for jointing on a thicknesser on to whoever needs them, just PM me with details and I will mail them. I may be able to scan them but given my luck with computers Australia Post could well be more reliable. Hard to believe I know.

Jack.

A-Drain
30th April 2005, 08:33 PM
Jack,

why are you bringing the joiner in from WA. I have just found the most amazing place here in Townsville. AGMS in Keane St Currajong. I just ordered a 6" joiner, 13" thicknesser, 22/44" drum sander and dust extraction system from Allan this morning. Should be here within the week (all JET machines). He has a 6" joiner in stock for sale at the moment for about $900 take it away.

Cheers

A-Drain

bitingmidge
30th April 2005, 11:58 PM
february 05. no. 175 ;)

Oh!!! THAT one!!

For all interested, I have scanned the article (four pages) each about 290k jpeg format.

If you would like a copy please send me a PM with your email address and I'll send them to you in two emails.

Cheers,

P

Harry72
1st May 2005, 02:50 AM
Ryan,

I have not recieved the plans yet. If they don't come it is no big deal as I just bought the new 6" long bed jointer from Timbecon. :D :D :D

Cheers, Jack.I've been leaning over one of them all day planing up some old oregan ceiling bearers left over from my reno's.
Making a moblie chef's bench thingy for the SWMBO's Bday.

The machine has quite long tables for a 6" jointer @1535mm, couple of minor problems so far...
1. Who'ever designed it must be only 4'1" tall, the base cabinet is to short need to make a 6" raising box for it to sit on.(would raise it to near the height of my tsc10hb saw)

2. The anti-rust gear theu put on it was way to exsessive took many hours of scrubing to get rid of it, tried every thing on it... turps metho degreaser prepwash the only thing that made it easier was to heat it with the heat gun!(it had heaps more than any of the other sherwood machines I just brought)

3. Couldnt get the 90° stop on the fence to work with repeated accuracy, now I keep a welders magnet square at reaching distance.(has 45 and 90°)

4. There are to many air gaps around the jointer base for good dust extraction, some duct tape fixes it.(I think all jointers suffer from this IMHO)

All in all its a soild unit, runs very smooth and the tables are spot on from factory which suprised me from all of what I've read online about jointers!

Jack E
1st May 2005, 08:52 AM
A-Drain,
The reason I bought from Perth is that I got a really good price on my 6" long bed jointer, disc belt sander for "Cohen" sharpening, 2HP DC and some accessories for some of these new toys as well.
Timbecon are taking my delivery to the Brisbane WWW show for free, I have a mate picking it up for me from there and also organising me cheap freight to T'ville through one of his mates. I will probably pay less delivery and have better machine specs than I could have afforded from a certain shop in Brisbane. I saw the jet jointer at AGMS but wanted a long bed.
I also could not afford to spend too much as I have about $1k of other orders winging their way to me from Canada, Perth and Ebay as we speak. (Stupid "Darkside") :D :D :D

Harry,
Not happy to hear about the machine being low to the ground as I am 6'3".
Hopefully I won't have the problems you did, thanks for the warning. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Jack.

bitingmidge
1st May 2005, 09:17 AM
Not happy to hear about the machine being low to the ground as I am 6'3".
Hopefully I won't have the problems you did, thanks for the warning. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Jack,

Being of similar stature (but with bigger tummy bones of course!) I have thought about a similar mod to the jointer to the one I made to the TS:

I just made a timber spacer that fits between the machine and the base, and used longer bolts.

(I used a bit of black and red insulation tape on the spacer to make it look like "Jet" factory decoration and you can't tell it from a bought one....maybe you could just use a tasteful chrome tape or something?)

Dont' forget if you are adding wheels that will also contribute to the height.

Cheers,

P

Jack E
1st May 2005, 09:30 AM
Peter,

Not to sure about the bigger tummy bones these days. As you know I have left the Army and am now working at the Century Mine. No fitness training required out here and I eat large meals four times a day :D :D :D

I will be adding a mobile base.

My new jointer is bright orange so I think some chrome tape will look A1. I might buy a few rolls and tape the whole thing :D

Jack

Harry72
2nd May 2005, 12:08 AM
Century Mine... Hmmm I know that name, so I guess the names Pasminco and Zinifex would sound familiar to you?

Jack E
2nd May 2005, 07:45 AM
Yes they do but Pasminco went bust about 6 months ago.

Jack.

Harry72
3rd May 2005, 12:38 AM
Hmmm I was wondering why the big sign at the front of work looked a bit different...

Jack E
3rd May 2005, 07:46 AM
Harry,

Where do you work?

Jack.

Rocker
3rd May 2005, 08:05 AM
Dang it Jack, you have raised a sore point in mentioning the Century Mine. I was doing mineral exploration at Lawn Hill in the early 70's and failed to discover the Century deposit:( We were drilling a mile or two south of there. Oh well, I might have had a mansion in the Sunshine Coast hinterland by now, if things had worked out differently. Wait, at least I have a shed in the Sunshine Coast hinterland :)

I imagine it is very pleasant up there at this time of year. Wait until November, though :D

Rocker

Jack E
3rd May 2005, 08:21 AM
Rocker,

How on earth did you miss the second largest zinc deposit in the southern hemisphere?

The pit is moving to the west so I guess you should have moved around a bit more!!!

Jack

Rocker
3rd May 2005, 09:22 AM
Jack,

I blame the bosses in Melbourne. I was just a peon doing what I was told to do by the experts down south. Actually, the deposit was not that easy to find, because it is almost entirely concealed by the later capping of Cambrian limestone. I believe the original discoverers only had a single anomalous sample that led them to it.

Rocker

Jack E
3rd May 2005, 10:47 AM
Rocker,

I like to blame the bosses to :D :D :D

Except when I am woodworking, then I am the boss and I am hardly going to blame myself :D

I am well on the way to having a workshop. I have decided not to build a shed and am instead taking over the bottom half of my house. I just need to build a wall and it will be all go.

Then I need to punch a hole in the external wall, hook up the DC to my table saw and new jointer, setup the new sander / sharpener so I can set up all the planes and chisels I have on order, build a workbench so I have somewhere to use all my new toys and then actually build something.

Who knows, I might even make a Rocker morticing jig too :D :D :D

Jack.

Harry72
4th May 2005, 02:22 AM
Harry,

Where do you work?

Jack.
At the place that takes the century ore/concentrates and turns them into heavy bits of solid stuff that squashed my little finger...

Errr that'll be Zinifex, although I work in the lead section(refinery) not the zinc plant. I've been there since 94 and gone through 3 name changes... BHAS, Pasminco and now Zinifex!

mike44
13th May 2005, 12:10 PM
You can edge joint without a jig of any kind if the stock is not to narrow in comparison to the height.The stock must be sawed straight to begin with. I routinely run 3/4" stock for cabinet stiles and rails to get them to the same width.You can gang narrow boards together and tape the ends.
Face jointing is another thing, I have a jointer, sometimes will handplane a difficult piece to a flat surface.
mike

Jack E
17th May 2005, 04:39 PM
Ryan,

Thanks mate, the plans have arrived.
If anybody wants a copy let me know.

Jack.

Landseka
1st June 2005, 04:02 PM
I have finally completed the Thicknesser Jointing Sled for which I was kindly sent a set of plans.
The sled does all it was intended and does it very well. I made it from melamine as that was what I had available though I think plywood would be better.
In hindsight I think a 2.4m long sled would be more practicle than the 1.5m as per the plan even though it would be heavier.
Maybe one of each would be in order.
You can view a video clip of the sled in action here (http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/wvt095.asp), broadband users only as it IS a large file.
Thanks again Peter for the plans.

Regards

Neil