PDA

View Full Version : Yandles Spring Show 2013

dr4g0nfly
8th April 2013, 06:57 AM
Sorry, this is not an Aus thing. Yandles is one of the UK's leading tuning/woodwork shops and timber yard. They do a show Spring & Autumn, which many people attend.

Two things, I helped support the Aus economy by finally buying a mini-Arbortech to add texture to some of my work and if you're really board someone wizzed around with a video camera. If your quick you can spot a Dr4g0nfly in his Bush Hat at 4 mins 33 secs.

Yandles Spring Show 2013 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vth2BRNAz0Y)

And - well you've got to play, haven't you! Here's one of this weekends offerings, a Life Bowl (a bowl for a gentleman's pocket contents).

The texturing detail was done with my new toy. Having finally got a texture I liked (which took several attempts) I then scorched it to add colour and de-fluff the timber.

Sycamore, 235mm (9¼") dia by 35mm (1 3/8") high. Finished in wax.

C & C welcomed as always, and thanks for looking,

Beedeejay
8th April 2013, 08:59 AM
Sorry, this is not an Aus thing. Yandles is one of the UK's leading tuning/woodwork shops and timber yard. They do a show Spring & Autumn, which many people attend.

Two things, I helped support the Aus economy by finally buying a mini-Arbortech to add texture to some of my work and if you're really board someone wizzed around with a video camera. If your quick you can spot a Dr4g0nfly in his Bush Hat at 4 mins 33 secs.

Yandles Spring Show 2013 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vth2BRNAz0Y)

And - well you've got to play, haven't you! Here's one of this weekends offerings, a Life Bowl (a bowl for a gentleman's pocket contents).

The texturing detail was done with my new toy. Having finally got a texture I liked (which took several attempts) I then scorched it to add colour and de-fluff the timber.

Sycamore, 235mm (9¼") dia by 35mm (1 3/8") high. Finished in wax.

C & C welcomed as always, and thanks for looking,

I like it :2tsup:
I also like the edges, it kinda makes it look like it has the bark still on it, that what i reckon anyways,
Cheers Ben

hughie
8th April 2013, 09:23 AM
DF thats sure is a decent sized show, way bigger than what I have seen here.
Love the 'spring weather' by the look of the coats etc winter hasn't finished with you guys :U:U

dr4g0nfly
8th April 2013, 06:12 PM
Hughie,I'm not completely sure of this but I believe Yandles started out as an Elm sawmill (Elm does not rot in the damp easily, so good for coffins), then progressed to a a general sawmill and with the advent of hobbyists, they started selling tools. So they have the land to hold this sort of show. Some of the trunks around the carpark (awaiting processing) are 6' - 8' in diameter (that would keep most of us happy for a lifetime.) They have a huge range of timber, English and imported. I even picked up a bag full of Banksia Pods (amoungst several other purchases!)People come from all over, clubs arrange coaches trips, old friend meet up, new friends are made, and forumites who only normally chat over the internet finally meet face to face, it's great.As for the weather, we've been suffering under an Icy Northerly wind comming down from the Artic for the last 3 or 4 weeks. I live in the South-West (Somerset) And we've had it easy (just damn cold). It's mostly gone now (but still a few flurries landing today) but most of the country has been suffering under snow. The eldest son who lives in the Manchester area had 6' drifts!

Rod Gilbert
8th April 2013, 08:24 PM
Don't be sorry for anything we are very fortunate to have an interest that transcends national boundaries and language differences, it is great to see and hear from our fellow wood workers from anywhere on this wonderful interest that we share. Thank you for bringing it to us.
regards Rod.:):2tsup:

hughie
9th April 2013, 12:57 AM
Hughie,I'm not completely sure of this but I believe Yandles started out as an Elm sawmill (Elm does not rot in the damp easily, so good for coffins), then progressed to a a general sawmill and with the advent of hobbyists, they started selling tools. So they have the land to hold this sort of show. Some of the trunks around the carpark (awaiting processing) are 6' - 8' in diameter (that would keep most of us happy for a lifetime.) They have a huge range of timber, English and imported. I even picked up a bag full of Banksia Pods (amoungst several other purchases!)People come from all over, clubs arrange coaches trips, old friend meet up, new friends are made, and forumites who only normally chat over the internet finally meet face to face, it's great.As for the weather, we've been suffering under an Icy Northerly wind comming down from the Artic for the last 3 or 4 weeks. I live in the South-West (Somerset) And we've had it easy (just damn cold). It's mostly gone now (but still a few flurries landing today) but most of the country has been suffering under snow. The eldest son who lives in the Manchester area had 6' drifts!

Thanks for info very interesting. I seem to recall Manchester, Birmingham etc always copped some snow. I only saw a few flurries the whole time I lived in London, still damn cold tho'.

issatree
9th April 2013, 11:11 AM
Thought it wood have been good to have been there.
Just out of curiosity, " What did you think the DOG learnt".

dr4g0nfly
9th April 2013, 10:51 PM
Thought it wood have been good to have been there.Just out of curiosity, " What did you think the DOG learnt".No idea - but to hazard a guess, I reckon he could identify more timbers by smell than I can by eye!