PDA

View Full Version : Small items for 1st wedding anniv.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th April 2013, 05:51 PM
Where does the time go?

It's my first wedding anniversary and SWMBO's birthday very soon... so off I went shopping. Sheesh, there's so much tat out there! Even the jewellery is rather tawdry... unless it has several zeros on the price tag. :((

Giving up the shopping in disgust, I headed to the shed to see what I could come up with...

Firstly, a pair of ear-rings. Redgum 'nuts' with spalted merbau 'caps.' Average wall thickness is just under 2mm, to keep weight down.
Secondly, a butterfly pendant/brooch. Canadian Poplar wings, Redgum spots, Ebony body. I'm not much of a carver, but I think this one passes muster. Until one uses a magnifying glass (or zooms in on the pics. :doh: ) I know the wings are a tad skew-whiff, but attaching 'em was a nightmare... I got so carried away with making 'em nice and thin (again, about 1.5mm at the thickest part) that I forgot all about leaving some meat to attach 'em to the body. :- So, using a 0.5mm drill, careful tongue positioning and a lot of TLC, I drilled both wings & body to use 0.4mm wires as connecting 'dowels.' It seems to have worked...
All of the findings are proper sterling silver... it took me almost as long to source decent findings (like I said, there's soooo much tat out there! :rolleyes:) as it did to make, but eventually I was lucky enough to find A&E Metal. (I still need to source a suitable finding to use as a brooch clip.)

Now here's to hoping they pass muster where it counts!
:fingerscrossed:

RETIRED
9th April 2013, 06:06 PM
I see that you have your nett wealth there too.:D Look good Skew, the girl will be very happy I am sure.

Happy anniversary.:balloons::fireworks:

artme
9th April 2013, 06:06 PM
At heart you are nothing but a romantic Skew!!

Well done on the "set". They will be very much appreciated!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

NCArcher
9th April 2013, 06:09 PM
I'm sure they will be treasured Skew. Happy anniversary.

springwater
9th April 2013, 06:45 PM
Definitely worth more than bling bling, I'm sure she'll love 'em :2tsup:

bench1holio
9th April 2013, 07:34 PM
Nice work skew!.. Its good to have a girl who appreciates hand made gifts J

TTIT
9th April 2013, 10:34 PM
They look fantastic Skew :2tsup::2tsup: I'm sure Anne will be absolutely wrapped in 'em :U

Happy Anniversary :Party:

powderpost
9th April 2013, 10:39 PM
Very nice and very talented. Happy anniversary for you both.
Jim

Wood Nut
9th April 2013, 11:49 PM
Very impressed Skew. What a fine job.

I'm sure Skew's girl will be very happy, although you've set the bar very high for future anniversaries and birthdays.

Will Anne be wearing them at the BM GTG next month?

Cheers, and congratulations on your 1st wedding anniversary.

Christos
10th April 2013, 11:42 AM
I can say that I like them but I am not the person to impress. :q

I must ask, did you give this to her before you posted this on the forum?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
10th April 2013, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the kind words fellas.

And yes, it's very nice to have a partner who appreciates the thought behind a gift more than the receipt. Especially as, sadly, isn't far off about our net wealth. :rolleyes:

Will Anne be wearing them at the BM GTG next month?

I think that I can say, without a shadow of a doubt, that the answer is undoubtedly yes... probably. :D

I must ask, did you give this to her before you posted this on the forum?

Pics first, then presentation. :) (Just in case I needed evidence for an insurance claim to have them medically extracted.)

tea lady
10th April 2013, 01:51 PM
Great little gifts. I am sure they will be treasured. Jewelry box for xmas I think? :cool:

Congrats on the anniversary. :D

hughie
10th April 2013, 01:58 PM
I reckon you'll be just fine Skew. Theres a rumour going around that she fancies you :; :2tsup:

Skew's_Girl
10th April 2013, 02:30 PM
:woot:

Love 'em! And they're a lot lighter than they look! I forget I'm wearing them until they gently jostle against my neck.
Definitely being saved for special occasions like the BM GTG.

No need for insurance, all they got him was a great big :kiss:

Skew's_Girl
10th April 2013, 02:33 PM
Great little gifts. I am sure they will be treasured. Jewelry box for xmas I think?

He made me a small lidded (cannister style) box from his last piece of Sally Wattle. LOVE the colour. Wish I'd gotten a pic before the colour started to fade. But I didn't think of it.

A Duke
10th April 2013, 02:55 PM
They do look even better displayed on the gorgeous model.
Congratulations on the anniversary.
Regards

RETIRED
10th April 2013, 04:16 PM
Who's a happy chicky? :whistling 2:

Sawdust Maker
10th April 2013, 04:52 PM
Happy anniversary you two

well made skew -

for next year get some huon or holly or something and make her a set of pearls

dai sensei
10th April 2013, 08:32 PM