PDA

View Full Version : Bunnings Headsup

glock40sw
30th April 2005, 01:58 PM
G'day All.
Bunnies has a GMC 1000 watt, 190mm dropsaw reduced from $68 to $49.
It was advertised in the Thursday edition of The Telegraph (N.S.W.)

I just got one from the Grafton Store. I had to do a bit of talking as the store counter jumper was not aware of the special price. The saw still had the $68 price tag attached in store.
They had to look it up on the Puter.
I am fitting a 185mm TCT saw for cutting steel to it so as not to wreck my Ryobi drop saw.

Hooroo.
Regards, Trevor
Grafton

arms
30th April 2005, 02:25 PM
is that really a good idea ,considering that the cheap rubbish you are buying sometimes hasnt even got the guts to cut wood let alone fitting a steel cutting blade to it
"cost equals quality"

Goldy
30th April 2005, 02:48 PM
I argee with arms was at bunnings today and they had angle grinders for $15 dollars, still a waste of $15 would have to buy 10 to last as long as a eg makita. I have brought GMC myself in the past and they have always only lasted 1 or 2 years max and ended up buying a brand name in the end anyway.

glock40sw
30th April 2005, 03:20 PM
Good points.

However, With 2 year warrantee....whats it matter.
The steel I'll be cutting is limited to a maximum of 50x50mm duragal.
Anything bigger will be run thru the 14" cutoff grinder.

Hooroo.
Regards, Trevor
Grafton

dai sensei
30th April 2005, 03:44 PM
Be careful, your warrantee for a timber drop saw is voided if you cut metal (store owner told me this once - the embedded steel particles in the plastic housing gives you away).

I bought a 2400W GMC metal drop saw to cut heaps of 50x50 & 25x25 I had to do one weekend. It was only $100 if I remember correctly, not much more than hiring one. Its still going after 12 months and using it once in a while, but I expect it will die sooner rather than later, the others are correct, you do get what you pay for. Having said that, it did what I wanted and will continue to save me using my hacksaw until it dies.

Cheers

buzsaw
30th April 2005, 11:10 PM
I also bought a cheap GMC cut off saw from bunnies and put on a brick cutting blade so I could cut a few pavers. Didn't want to risk using my Makita and fill it full of brick dust :). The job wasn't big enough to warrant buying or hiring a brick saw, took me 3 weekends to complete with a few rest in between.

Don't believe any manufacturer will warrant a power tool used to cut bricks and pavers either. So for $100.00 I got the job done and still have the tool. My brother borrowed for the same type of cutting and it is still going. I view any more cutting I get from it now is a bonus.

Regards,

Buz.

DanP
1st May 2005, 12:18 AM
Trevor,

Sounds very dangerous to me. A steel cutting saw (toothed, as opposed to grinding) runs at a very low speed and uses coolant. If you use a woodworking saw and no coolant you will overheat the TCT tips and melt the braze that keeps them attached to the blade. They will then come off the blade at a fast rate of speed and probably end up in your leg or groin. :eek:

Dan

glock40sw
1st May 2005, 01:19 PM
G'day Dan.

The saw blade is specially designed to be run dry and at higher rpm's.
The saw does 4000 rpm's load free spin. the blade is designed for 4500rpm's operating load free spin.
The blade is 185mm dia and costs $100.

I gave it a workout yesterday arvo and it works fine.

I did 12 x 45Deg cuts in 50 x 50 x 1.6 duragal.
and about 2 dozen 90 deg cuts in 25mm duragal angle.

The blade looks unused as does the little GMC saw.
I clamped the saw to an "elcheapo portable bench" and took it out side.

No worries.
No sparks.
Only thing is safety glasses are a must.

Hooroo.
Regards, Trevor
Grafton

GCP310
8th May 2005, 08:57 PM
Glocks Right, you can get a metal cutting blade that will run at high speed without the need for coolant. your thinking of a coldsaw. Mind you, they make a sh!tload of noise.

I have a few gmc items now and they are all still going strong. this weekend i punished the rotary hammer drill, demolishing the inlaws bathroom. it didnt miss a beat. the bits are a little under the weather after lifting the mortar bed and tiles.

G

Pat
8th May 2005, 09:13 PM
I have one thing to say about the above heading, ARGH!!!!. The tale of my Dewalt 4" angle grinder is on again. A couple of weeks ago I used it with the Arbortech carving wheel on a Brown Mallee Burl, after an hour it died. This is the second time this machine has died, so for all the use I get out of them I may as well purchase a "cheap and nasty" to do the job. :(

gazaly
8th May 2005, 09:45 PM
I have one thing to say about the above heading, ARGH!!!!. The tale of my Dewalt 4" angle grinder is on again. A couple of weeks ago I used it with the Arbortech carving wheel on a Brown Mallee Burl, after an hour it died. This is the second time this machine has died, so for all the use I get out of them I may as well purchase a "cheap and nasty" to do the job. :(
When it comes to tools used at home, you would be mad :confused: to pay as much as 10 times the price for a name brand item. There is no way you could say a $400 name brand drill with 12 months warranty, will produce holes any straighter than a $40 cheepo with 3-4 year warranty.

My veiw as a purely home user:) .

Cheerio